The Student Room Group

ETH Zurich or Edinburgh for PhD?

I have been offered a PhD at ETH Zurich and Edinburgh University for PhD's and I am not sure what to do! I have done my undergrad and Masters at Edinburgh (except did a year abroad in Sydney). I am just worried that I will get bored in Edinburgh although I can do a 3 month stint at another institution as part of the programme, on the other hand with Zurich I speak no German (but excited to learn some!) and it is a completely unknown quantity. I know I get on with the supervisor in Edinburgh but am less sure about how I would fare in Zurich, but thats not to say I wouldn't love it there to! Any advice on what its like to be a UK student in Zurich? Completely lost at what to do, thanks!
Moving around in academia is highly encouraged. Getting too comfy in one place is not well received. ETH is supposed to be an English speaking and international institution but learning German will help with living in Germany. I know the feeling of wanting to stay somewhere familiar! But choose the best project for you and where you will get the most out of the student experience in terms of training and development.
Reply 2
ETHZ is highly international, particularly with high percentage of faculty and students from the EU, India and the US. English is the working language and Zurich is international city. Did you check the research group structures btw both PhD programmes, coordination and access to supervisors?

Reach out to some Brits at ETHZ.
Reply 3
Hi! Firstly thanks for the replies O am still amongst my decisions. The UK is only 3.5 years of funding and doesn't involve much teaching whereas ETH is 4years+. With regard to support the UK is a lot more hands, not sure what is most vital from a supervisor in a PhD? I have tried to google around to find PhD British students just to chat too, but literally can't find anything, not quite sure what this means....

Quick Reply

Latest