The Student Room Group

Solving equation

Hi,
When I solve Solve 1/5(x-4)=3 I would multiply the denominator by everything inside the brackets and the 3 after the equal sign to get rid of the fration then expand by the brackets but why is it that you only multiply the 5 by the 3 then expand and solve because to my knowledge you always multiply everything on each side of the equation ?
Thanks
Original post by wfisom
Hi,
When I solve Solve 1/5(x-4)=3 I would multiply the denominator by everything inside the brackets and the 3 after the equal sign to get rid of the fration then expand by the brackets but why is it that you only multiply the 5 by the 3 then expand and solve because to my knowledge you always multiply everything on each side of the equation ?
Thanks

I didn't follow through any of that... Why would you multiply the denominator by everything inside the bracket??

15(x4)=3\frac{1}{5}(x-4)=3

The first thing you want to do when you're solving for xx is to recognise what is happening on both sides. So here you have a fifth of (x-4) and on the other you just have a 3, so the first step is to get rid off the fraction by multiplying by what we call the reciprocal - and the reciprocal of 1/5 is 5. Which then leads us to 515(x4)=55(x4)=1(x4)=x45\cdot \frac{1}{5}(x-4)=\frac{5}{5}(x-4)=1(x-4)=x-4 which makes our LHS much simpler, but since we multiplied by 5 on the LHS, we also need to multiply by 5 on the RHS giving us 35=153\cdot 5=15 thus we have x4=15x-4=15 and we repeat the same idea with different operations involved to get xx on its own.

I'm not entire sure what you are trying to do from your post...
Original post by RDKGames
I didn't follow through any of that... Why would you multiply the denominator by everything inside the bracket??

15(x4)=3\frac{1}{5}(x-4)=3

The first thing you want to do when you're solving for xx is to recognise what is happening on both sides. So here you have a fifth of (x-4) and on the other you just have a 3, so the first step is to get rid off the fraction by multiplying by what we call the reciprocal - and the reciprocal of 1/5 is 5. Which then leads us to 515(x4)=55(x4)=1(x4)=x45\cdot \frac{1}{5}(x-4)=\frac{5}{5}(x-4)=1(x-4)=x-4 which makes our LHS much simpler, but since we multiplied by 5 on the LHS, we also need to multiply by 5 on the RHS giving us 35=153\cdot 5=15 thus we have x4=15x-4=15 and we repeat the same idea with different operations involved to get xx on its own.

I'm not entire sure what you are trying to do from your post...

Thanks , basically what im trying to say is that I thought you multiply the same thing by either side of the equation?
Original post by wfisom
Thanks , basically what im trying to say is that I thought you multiply the same thing by either side of the equation?

Whatever operation (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, exponentiation, etc...) you perform on one side, you must also perform on the other because you want to balance the equation. So yes, you multiply on both sides by whatever you need.

A nice analogy to it is this: it's like balancing 2 cakes on an old scale, if you cut one cake in half and leave one one half of it on the scale, then the other side will be heavier and the whole system would be unbalanced - thus you need to cut the other cake in half and leave only half of it on the scale in order to achieve balance again.

Quick Reply

Latest