FrenchSammy
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I know this has been done before, but is there any way to work out if I will be able to get CCG?

I'm currently in full time employment, my 2 youngest are in nursery full time and my oldest goes to both breakfast and after school club.

I will be giving up my job to start my PGCE, so the girls will need to carry on with the current set up while I study (my husband works full time too).

My OH's income for the last financial year was £32k (this has since reduced but not by 15%), but from what I have seen online, we most likely won't be entitled to CCG? If that is the case, i will have to withdraw from the course I have been accepted on as there is no way I can study income-less for a year while also paying for childcare full time for 3 children.
Despite what many might think, £32k in London is not enough to live on for a family of 5.

So, Student Finance, is it even worth me applying and sending all the evidence for the CCG or can you tell me straightaway that I won't qualify?
Pamela SFE
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi FrenchSammy

You would be best to apply and send all information/.evidence and we could confirm if you were eligible or not.

Entitlement is based on an assessment of your household income (within the academic year) including your spouse/partner and children, less the following financial obligations:
  • Rent/Mortgage Payments
  • Household, Contents, Medical and Life Insurance
  • Council Tax
  • Mortgage Endowments
  • Obligatory Maintenance Payments
  • Repayment Under Loan Agreement (only secured loans will be taken into consideration)
Therefore, there is no specific income threshold that you must meet in order to qualify for the Childcare Grant. Each students application will be considered on an individual basis.

Thanks
FrenchSammy
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Pamela SFE)
Hi FrenchSammy

You would be best to apply and send all information/.evidence and we could confirm if you were eligible or not.

Entitlement is based on an assessment of your household income (within the academic year) including your spouse/partner and children, less the following financial obligations:
  • Rent/Mortgage Payments
  • Household, Contents, Medical and Life Insurance
  • Council Tax
  • Mortgage Endowments
  • Obligatory Maintenance Payments
  • Repayment Under Loan Agreement (only secured loans will be taken into consideration)

Therefore, there is no specific income threshold that you must meet in order to qualify for the Childcare Grant. Each students application will be considered on an individual basis.

Thanks
Hi Pamela,

How up-to-date is your information? I have indeed applied for the CCG (have not heard back yet)
I have not been asked about any financial obligations whatsoever. If I had, then I would be less pessimistic about the whole thing as SFE would then see that living in London, with 3 children on one wage while having to pay £19k/year on childcare is in no way doable.
But as it stands, I have only been asked about weekly childcare costs and yearly income, that is it.
TaRafferty
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hello,It does not ask for any of this information when applying, do you need to ring and let them know this info?Thank you,Tara
Laura S SFE
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi FrenchSammy,

They used to ask for all your financial obligations to calculate your entitlement but new students starting their course from 2013/14 academic year are no longer required to provide this. This is because we now use income disregards based on your family situation.

We look at total household income and determine the applicable disregard which for you having three children and a husband would be £9627. This would then be deducted from the household income to calculate residual income. We would then work out the potential grant entitlement which is the total amount of grants you are applying for then we would deduct the residual income from this to calculate your entitlement.

That is why we ask you to apply as there isn't a specific threshold figure that can advise you if you would be entitled to it or not.

Thanks
studentmidwife0
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello Laura. The applicable disregard is quite low for London households. If we want to submit financial obligations such as those listed above (mortage, insurance, council tax etc) can we do this? My financial obligations are WELL above the 9627 figure SFE have come up with.
FrenchSammy
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by studentmidwife0)
Hello Laura. The applicable disregard is quite low for London households. If we want to submit financial obligations such as those listed above (mortage, insurance, council tax etc) can we do this? My financial obligations are WELL above the 9627 figure SFE have come up with.

We are a London household with huge financial commitments and no exceptions were made. We’re really struggling this year.
Carabump
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi.What was the outcome of this for the original poster?I am now in a similar position and not sure how to proceed.
FrenchSammy
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi Cara - it was me.

As mentioned above, we did not qualify for CCG at all. I spoke to SFE to ask what the earnings threshold was and was told there was none.
Then when I called to enquire about the status of my application I was told we didn’t qualify because, and I quote “the threshold for 3 children or more is £12k per year”. So if your partner/husband/wife earns £12k or more, regardless of your financial commitments, you’re won’t qualify. Our monthly outgoings are enormous with a mortgage and childcare alone costing near enough £3k per month. But they didn’t ask for any information about outgoings, they’re not interested in that.
In the end we had to remortgage for me to be able to do the course.
Jakkilou
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi FrenchSammy. I am also now in a similar situation and just wondered how much maintenance loan you were entitled to? Xx
Kellybe
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I can’t believe how the child grant department, doesn’t take into consideration the families commiments with housing, bills, etc. I also live in London with 3 children, And we pay 18k a year on rent alone. Before anything else...These rules are absolutely ridiculous and very unrealistic. As a mature student I have no chance going back to uni. I’ve quit my job based on the information online saying that I’d eligible for the child care grant. This misleading information has cost me a job, my hope to get my degree! Can’t understand how this out this world rule helps genuinely anyone with kids! Just got off the phone with SLC and the threshold is 14k per family... that doesn’t even cover our rent! Maybe sending these stories to a newspaper might help getting few answers! Absolutely utter disgraceful!
Nicola S
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I was also told I would be entitled to help with childcare. I have also quit my job and am now screwed! Just called both Student Finance and Tax Credits (who sounded surprised we won’t grt anything)
Hattiebailey89
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, i spoke with Student finance and they have said that you only get grants if your household income is under £26,000 For the childcare grant your household income needs to be under £14,000 PA!!! So basically no one!
Skye21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Just phoned too and been told the same! It’s a disgrace, childcare is so expensive and my partner has so many other outgoings we wouldn’t be able to survive without this grant. It’s such a shame most people aren’t eligible
Kruthj
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This has just happened to me, I have two young children and have started the course under the premise that I actually received a letter saying I would be receiving a grant and then I was told today we have a household income which is too high. Which is devistating and now I’m stuck having started my course with bills to pay and nursery/after school clubs to pay for. What did you do in the end? I think we are going To take our letters we received to cab. This needs to stop happening!
HeatherJrose
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The same has just happened to me Kruthj. I received a letter to say my childcare had been capped at the minimum (is it £127 p.w.) I have just been told I'm not eligible! It's ridiculous! They said they couldn't make a payment until they had the childcare provider confirmed. I actually asked for less money as when I sent in the estimate I worked it out on been in uni every day! They must have known in August I wasn't eligible so why make me send more paperwork back. Plus if they told me in August I wasn't entitled I wouldn't have started the course! Left me in a right mess now!
Donnio
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I have been put in the same situation. I called and was told I would get the full 85% of childcare. I’m now in debt and was offered £50 for the inconvenience. Please write to your MP. This has to stop. If everyone needing child care support contacted their MP and we made this a parliamentary issue. Our voices aren’t heard. We are the silenced minority, with no voice and support.
Hanna30
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi,Just been reading your comments.I’m starting my school direct, full time in sept unsalaried, so I’ve had to take out student finance. I have 3 children, who will all need child care, my nursery bill alone being £1000, my husband only earned £20,000 last year so they have told me I can’t get the child care grant . We receive universal credit as we were both on low incomes. However now I won’t get an income at all! I’m not sure how I will pay for my child care as I’m not sure universal credit will help, even though they take my loan Into account when working out our entitlement each month! How have you all managed without the grant?
Last edited by Hanna30; 3 months ago
zf41
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I have also been stung by not being entitled to the grant. Is the dependents loan assessed in the same way? I read this additional money was available to parents but it didn't say what the criteria was.
LeighRae
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I was eligible for childcare grant last year and so started university thinking it would be affordable for the duration of my course. Now applying for finance to start my second year and have now been told I’m not eligible for a childcare grant. We can not afford childcare for our 2 children so the likelihood is my last year has been wasted and now £15k in debt for absolutely no reason!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Chester
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 13 Nov '19
  • Kingston University London
    All faculties involved Undergraduate
    Wed, 13 Nov '19
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Discover Your Type of Law - LPC and GDL - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 13 Nov '19

Are you registered to vote?

18-20 years old (yes) (171)
53.44%
18-20 years old (no) (38)
11.88%
20-25 years old (yes) (51)
15.94%
20-25 years old (no) (5)
1.56%
25-30 years old (yes) (20)
6.25%