Turn on thread page Beta

What type of computer software do I need to do this? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey all,

I've got a map of Sheffield City centre and the student areas (made from multimap) on the computer. Its huge in size (about 4500x6000) and in jpg format.

I can't add to the map where everything is in photoshop because I would run out of room quite quickly as most places are right next to each other. So what I 'would like' to do is have a drawing pin for each place where you move your mouse over it and then it tells you about the place in a tooltip box or something similar.

The idea is pretty simple but I have no idea of what program to use or how to go about it. I've been searching on the net for rollover buttons etc. but nothing has really seemed that useful so far.

Any ideas?

Thanks in Advance

- Adam

ReputationRep:
    If you were to insert the graphic onto a webpage in frontpage / dreamweaver whatever and set up hotspots - that is hyperlinked areas on the image. You could either link to a page talking about the thing or insert the code/setup a tooltip (which i don't know how to do but someone may).

That's what i'd do anyway...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James.R)
    If you were to insert the graphic onto a webpage in frontpage / dreamweaver whatever and set up hotspots - that is hyperlinked areas on the image. You could either link to a page talking about the thing or insert the code/setup a tooltip (which i don't know how to do but someone may).

That's what i'd do anyway...
    That IS a good idea.
    I'd use dreamweaver if I were you. It's got tidier code

ReputationRep:
    Thinking about it you could only do rollover buttons if each place was a separate image (and you could assign a rollover), therefore the above would be your best bet i'd think

ReputationRep:
    I would have posted this in the computing sub-forum if I were you - you get better responses, faster.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starry)
    That IS a good idea.
    I'd use dreamweaver if I were you. It's got tidier code

Yeah i use Dreamweaver myself but not everyone has it so frontpage would be a second choice. It's also easier to do in dreamweaver (i think)

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.