This discussion is closed.
username2821194
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Why is it that when you solve Solve t=2π√l/g you square both sides so the 2π to make tsqrd=4πsqrd ,but when it comes to getting rid of the fraction I thought its the same princicple so you do the same thing to both sides so multiply by G because you do the same to top and bottom but apparetly you just multiply the g by the t to give gt sqred=4 πsqred l? Why is this?
Thanks
Notnek
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by wfisom)
Why is it that when you solve Solve t=2π√l/g you square both sides so the 2π to make tsqrd=4πsqrd ,but when it comes to getting rid of the fraction I thought its the same princicple so you do the same thing to both sides so multiply by G because you do the same to top and bottom but apparetly you just multiply the g by the t to give gt sqred=4 πsqred l? Why is this?
Thanks
Your question is unclear.

If you square both sides you get \displaystyle t^2 = 4\pi^2 \frac{l}{g^2}

Are you happy with this part? It may be easier for us if you show all the working but make it clear which part you're unsure about.
RDKGames
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by notnek)
If you square both sides you get \displaystyle t^2 = 4\pi^2 \frac{l}{g^2}
Typo \mapsto t^2 = 4\pi^2 \frac{l}{g}

EDIT: Never mind, I just assumed that he meant the pendulum time period equation, could be just \sqrt{l}. Looks too ambiguous

(Original post by wfisom)
Thanks
Assume you meant t=2\pi \sqrt{\frac{g}{l}}

You have t=2 \pi \sqrt{\frac{g}{l}} and if you square both sides you get  t^2=(2 \pi \sqrt{\frac{l}{g}} )^2=(2\pi)^2( \sqrt{\frac{l}{g}} )^2=4\pi\cdot \frac{l}{g}

Then continue to solve for whatever you need to.
Notnek
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by RDKGames)
Typo \mapsto t^2 = 4\pi^2 \frac{l}{g}
Wasn't a typo, it looked like the OP only had a square root on the numerator.

But you're right - I should have assumed it was the pendulum formula.
Plücker
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Morgan Kurt)
Make x the subject T=2π√x/g
You have arrived just in time to save us all from confusion.
Notnek
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Plücker)
You have arrived just in time to save us all from confusion.
I've been waiting 4 years and now I can finally rest.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (88)
38.43%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (25)
10.92%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (17)
7.42%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (55)
24.02%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (27)
11.79%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (17)
7.42%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed