What stresses you most abut exams?

Watch
BBC Radio 1
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
This week The Surgery is all about helping you handle pressure and stress. Mim Shaikh joins Gemma and Dr Radha to bring you the ultimate guide to coping with exams, with help from GCSE survivors and everyone's favourite teacher, Mr Burton from Educating Yorkshire.

How well do you handle pressure? Are you struggling with anxiety over exams? Have you found something that helps you cope with stress?

Share your experience below, and let us know if you have a question for our guests.

Please note: you can post on this forum anonymously.
jessica_willmott
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What stresses me the most is knowing that I'm being timed whilst I'm doing the work.

An hour to prove myself? No thank you.
username2926188
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The time for some exams is just ridiculous. They expect you to write a whole dictionary in 1 hour :// like your fingers done 10 minutes in
niamhdoesmaths
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The build up to an exam season is always worse than the exams themselves, personally

I always worry that I don't know everything I need to, that I'm underprepared. Sometimes this can be really good for me as it can motivate me to work, but more often than not it causes me to panic - and then I can't get any efficient work done :no:

I get stressed easily
UWS
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Invigilators staring at me like I did something bad
Anonymous #1
Report 4 years ago
I always worry that I've under-prepared or that there will be loads of questions which everyone else will find easy but I wont be able to do. It doesn't help that I'm a bit of a perfectionist and tend to procrastinate if I think I won't be able to do something!
Rum Ham
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
To me, it was never the results or the content of the exam paper that worried me. I had was pretty sure of most of my subjects and felt confident that I understood them well. It was more the exam experience that stressed me out more. At school, I didn't really have panic attacks so I was ok during those exams and only had the mild nerves most people have before an exam but once my panics fully started at college, the mere thought of sitting in an exam room terrified me. I didn't feel just every day exam nerves, I felt pure panic.

The thought of having to sit here for a set time and if I don't, I could fail an entire subject, made me feel so stressed and smothered. To someone with panic attacks that translates in their mind as "if you don't sit here for the entire time, you'll die" and it adds more pressure. I lost count how many times I walked out of an exam because of panics at college. Thankfully, I managed to wait until the last 15 mins most of the time so it was ok to leave usually but my scores were affected so much because I wasn't doing my best at all. My mind for the entire time was focused on 'trying not to die' and getting through the exam as quick as possible so I could run out of that room that felt like it was getting smaller and smaller.

I was stupid and didn't tell college about my panic attacks so they couldn't make adjustments for me such as giving me a room to myself and just an invigilator to do a test. I did everything the wrong way. I didn't tell them and I quit college early. I gave into my anxiety and I've been paying for it every day since. If you do have an MH or physical condition that makes exams much harder and extra assistance would help, please speak out even though you might feel embarrassed, guilty or anything else under the sun. You deserve to take your exams in a relaxed manner so you have the best chance of succeeding plus while trying to keep your stress levels at bay :hugs:
4ÆM
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The fear of failure
PrettymuchGod
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by serah.exe)
The fear of failure
^
More specifically, the fear making basic mistakes due to the fear of making basic mistakes due to the fear of making basic mistakes.
4ÆM
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by XOR_)
^
More specifically, the fear making basic mistakes due to the fear of making basic mistakes due to the fear of making basic mistakes.
Could you repeat that again for me? I didn't quite catch what you said
sorry
Luke7456
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I get scared of getting B grades and not getting into any of the universities I want to. I get really worried about the fact I am entering without a reference. or people judging me/ me been embarrassed.

I am also aware that due to me been autistic and people having a place where they think Autistic people belong, that people would try and sabotage me by either contacting universities I am applying to or other means.

Thus I have decided to not declare any of my grades on here post results, because I cannot win if I get 100% in every module and mention it then Oxbridge would get flooded with slanderous emails about me etc. If I get poor grades then people will want to rub it in my face and put me down.

I suppose when I am at university I can mention which university I currently study at. etc.

I have had really bad cramp in my jaw due to stress and been losing out on sleep not intentionally.

I tried to cheer myself up with small amounts of carbs but then I was forgetting everything again which only made me more anxious. so I starved myself for a bit less then 24 hours and then just ate fat again and memory is now fine again. However still getting very stressed.
EstelOfTheEyrie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by serah.exe)
The fear of failure
Same here!
The idea that an entire career can rest on a single paper passing or failing terrifies me, and I want to do well so tiny mistakes/ getting 1 grade below what I want stresses me immensely.
an_atheist
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The waiting afterwards is the bit that stresses me the most. The 2 months of your mind blowing everything up until you feel like you'd be lucky to get an E grade
username2088165
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I usually worry about accidentally missing a topic during revision (which I sometimes do), and running out of time in the exam - some exams don't give you nearly enough time for the level of detail you need to go into to get the marks
Reshyna
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The thing that makes me stressed, is the outcome of what I wrote in the exams. I expect for the best results and what I get is the good ones. My IGCSEs was a great flop. I expected 9A*s but what I got was just 4A*s. I still couldn't understand why I got mistakes and why I lost so much marks. I tried doing the paper again, and I only lost few marks (4 or 5).

I understood that I was nervous at the exam hall. There were so many people, and I was afraid, thinking whether I could achieve my goals.

Even now, I'm scared of my AS exams bcoz of the same reason. I expect the best results, but I'm just scared, whether I would fail to achieve my goal. I also get stressed thinking whether I could finish the exam within time.

(Original post by UWS)
Invigilators staring at me like I did something bad
:five:
Same. I just hated it when some invigilators stared at me like that in the exam hall. There were so many students (almost 150) and there were like 30 invigilators or something coz there were different exams happening at the same time. Some of them kept staring at me, while two or three were kind (they smiled at me whenever I looked up at them, to ask for extra sheets).
Anonymous #2
Report 4 years ago
I completely blanked during my GCSE's due to both anxiety and stress, basically failed everything except the core subjects, art and business studies. Had a major breakdown afterwards, and had no idea where I would go afterwards.

I ended up taking an Art course for a year as it was a subject I was naturally good at and thoroughly enjoyed, after passing I opted to just go straight into looking for somewhere to work. A few years on and i'm now working in marketing and happy with where I ended up.
username402722
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Other people who are stressed
username2324315
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If I forget everything I've revised and am aware that what I'm writing is just not to my standards
brumtown0121
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Going blank in the exam and forgetting everything I've spent the year revising:eek:
mariam1999
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The fact that in a space of 90-135 or more minutes, only the smallest portion of the 2 vast years worth of content determines my future. Being in the year to complete the new Linear A-levels has affected mine and others physical, mental and emotional health. Those 90-135 minutes, speak for your performance and are seen as a true measure of how intelligent someone is from a grade. When in fact exams are based on such a majority of memorisation and only a tiny part shoes understanding.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (20)
14.08%
I need help researching courses (8)
5.63%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
4.93%
I need help with my personal statement (58)
40.85%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (36)
25.35%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
2.11%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (10)
7.04%

Watched Threads