Childcare Grant - currently getting tax credits when to apply?

Watch
nelfran29
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi there I have a question,

I have now applied for student finance 2017/18 and have indicated on my application that I have a dependent, I can't send the childcare grant application yet because I am currently claiming the childcare element from tax credits, does this mean my application will take longer or put on hold?

I am extremely worried because I am highly dependent on my childcare up until I start my university course and start getting the funding from student finance. (Childcare Grant)

What are the student finance deadlines? I can only apply for the childcare grant as early as September 2017, I can't afford to stop getting the childcare element through tax credits hence why I will get it stopped the day I start University and then apply for the childcare grant. I have also been told it will take a further 4 weeks to process the childcare grant application form this again is another issue. I don't want to incur overpayments and late payments to my childcare providers, I don't think there's enough information out there for people like myself. Working part-time and claiming childcare through tax credits and then the 4 weeks it takes to process the childcare grant, can't they process this a lot sooner since I've already applied for student finance way before the deadline. Also, I am under the impression that student finance only make payments 3 times a year so does that mean I have to wait until January to receive the childcare payments or 4 months after my first payment.

I do understand the position student finance is in, and I know I can't claim for the childcare grant whilst claiming the childcare element through tax credits but I am only entitled to student finance once my course starts, what am I to do beforehand that's the dilemma I am in and speaking to the student finance representatives have brought no hope just stress and uncertainty.

Really need some further advice about this, much appreciated. Image
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by nelfran29)
Hi there I have a question,
I've moved this post out of the main thread and into the Ask Student Finance England subforum where one of their reps should be able to answer it - their reps post of TSR 1pm-4pm Tuesday-Thursday (so you should get an answer next Tuesday afternoon).

It might be worth ringing up SFE before then to ask directly how it should work in your situation. Take down the name and job title of the people you speak to on the phone to make sure they only answer within their knowledge.
nelfran29
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
I've moved this post out of the main thread and into the Ask Student Finance England subforum where one of their reps should be able to answer it - their reps post of TSR 1pm-4pm Tuesday-Thursday (so you should get an answer next Tuesday afternoon).

It might be worth ringing up SFE before then to ask directly how it should work in your situation. Take down the name and job title of the people you speak to on the phone to make sure they only answer within their knowledge.
@PQ I haven't had a response yet, why is this?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
@PQ I haven't had a response yet, why is this?
I've no idea - I'll tag in some of the more recent posting SFE reps to see if they can help
Hugh SFE Pamela SFE Anne SFE Louise SFE can you please help the OP about negotiating the move from tax credits to CCG?
nelfran29
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
I've no idea - I'll tag in some of the more recent posting SFE reps to see if they can help
Hugh SFE Pamela SFE Anne SFE Louise SFE can you please help the OP about negotiating the move from tax credits to CCG?
Thanks
nelfran29
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
Hugh SFE Pamela SFE Anne SFE Louise SFE Hello there I posted my question over a week ago, can someone help me or should I rely on the contact centre?

HI, PQ Is anyone else not getting replies, I've waited over a week? Not so much as a reply?

Also is there a deadline applying for the childcare grant?
Graeme SFE
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hugh SFE Pamela SFE Anne SFE Louise SFE Hello there I posted my question over a week ago, can someone help me or should I rely on the contact centre?

HI, PQ Is anyone else not getting replies, I've waited over a week? Not so much as a reply?

Also is there a deadline applying for the childcare grant?
Hi there,

Sorry for the delay. So, on the form it asks if you plan to receive the child care element of tax credits *during the academic year*.

So long as you plan to stop the tax credits before you start your course, feel free to put 'no' for this; and then send the form back to us.

Thanks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
3.77%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (7)
13.21%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (8)
15.09%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (6)
11.32%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (21)
39.62%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (9)
16.98%

Watched Threads