Books for Biomedical Science - Any help appreciated Watch

grasshoppus
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am a bit confused as to how people know what books apply to their course. I am going on to study Biomedical science at St Georges in september and cannot find a list of books specific to the course. The concept of reading up on topics is really confusing me because surely all books go into a different level of depth on topics? How do you know that you're going at the right pace if everyone's reading different books?
If possible could people suggest books that will be critical for a biomed student, I would really appreciate any help! And any helpful books that I can read before I start my degree.

Thank you :-)
Lychee628
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
FemaleBo55 help her
FemaleBo55
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Firstly, I'd highly recommend that you hold on to your A-level textbooks for biology and chemistry (if you did them) because they can be extremely useful especially when the first year is similar to A-levels. Furthermore, the types of books that you want to read for further reading depends on what module you are talking about. I assume at St. George you'll learn human physiology for example, so i'd recommend that you get the vander's human physiology book (if you did biology at a-level) or the stanfield (if you did not do biology in sixth form). It's hard to recommend textbooks without knowing the module as each module has their own extra reading.

Tbh, so far im in my first year of uni, and most of the time the exams are based on the lecture material not really the extra reading you do.
I hope that helped??

Good luck in september!
grasshoppus
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by FemaleBo55)
Firstly, I'd highly recommend that you hold on to your A-level textbooks for biology and chemistry (if you did them) because they can be extremely useful especially when the first year is similar to A-levels. Furthermore, the types of books that you want to read for further reading depends on what module you are talking about. I assume at St. George you'll learn human physiology for example, so i'd recommend that you get the vander's human physiology book (if you did biology at a-level) or the stanfield (if you did not do biology in sixth form). It's hard to recommend textbooks without knowing the module as each module has their own extra reading.

Tbh, so far im in my first year of uni, and most of the time the exams are based on the lecture material not really the extra reading you do.
I hope that helped??

Good luck in september!
Thank you! This is super helpful. I hope your degree is going well :-)
FemaleBo55
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by grasshoppus)
Thank you! This is super helpful. I hope your degree is going well :-)
if you need anything, just PM i'd be happy to help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• St George's, University of London
    Undergraduate & Postgraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Jun '20

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (23)
6.82%
They might tell the bully (33)
9.79%
I don't think they'd understand (51)
15.13%
It might lead to more bullying (128)
37.98%
There's nothing they could do (102)
30.27%

Watched Threads