The Student Room Group

Thinking about studying Engineering?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Kallisto
Does Engineering count to technology professions or studies? didn't know it is an own professional field?

I'm not sure what you mean... but engineering is the E in STEM (Science Technology Engineering Maths).

And yes it's a professional field in its own right. e.g. you can become a Chartered Engineer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
I'm not sure what you mean... but engineering is the E in STEM (Science Technology Engineering Maths).

And yes it's a professional field in its own right. e.g. you can become a Chartered Engineer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh, I see. I am so sorry. Was really not aware of that, as I am living the UK abroad as a non-English-native-speaker. In my first language (German), MINT has the same meaning like STEM in your language. MINT stands for mathematics, informatics, natural sciences and technology, so engineering is not counted. Does not thought it is a bit different. Thanks for this explanation, I will not forget it next time.
Reply 42
Oh, I see. I am so sorry. Was really not aware of that, as I am living the UK abroad as a non-English-native-speaker. In my first language (German), MINT has the same meaning like STEM in your language. MINT stands for mathematics, informatics, natural sciences and technology, so engineering is not counted. Does not thought it is a bit different. Thanks for this explanation, I will not forget it next time.

No problem!

And, as far as I know, in Germany being a fully qualified "Ingenieur" is very highly regarded. :smile:
No problem!

And, as far as I know, in Germany being a fully qualified "Ingenieur" is very highly regarded. :smile:

Yeah, it still is. Engineering is a very sophisticated study in my native country. We have a special degree, the Diplomstudiengang, which is not highly regarded in Germany only, but also abroad, as I got to know. Unfortunately, there are just a few universities which offer this kind of study in presence.
Yeah, it still is. Engineering is a very sophisticated study in my native country. We have a special degree, the Diplomstudiengang, which is not highly regarded in Germany only, but also abroad, as I got to know. Unfortunately, there are just a few universities which offer this kind of study in presence.

What on Earth does that mean?
Original post by Vikingninja

The Diplomstudiengang or what do you mean? it is equal to a Master of Engineering in the UK. As the university degrees are matched, should be matched in whole Europe, it was replaced by a Master degree step by step.
Reply 46

The UK's MEng is similar (it also has 240 ECTS).

Original post by Vikingninja

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diplom

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
The UK's MEng is similar (it also has 240 ECTS).

Yeah, taht is right. Have explained it yesterday. Nonetheless is a nice gesture of you to give a link to that. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest