Have you ever contacted your local MP?

Watch this thread
MrSuavetopia
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Given of course, in this country we elect our MPs with the intention not just to run the country, but also to look after our local areas, have you ever been in touch with them?

This could be in all manner of fashions. Maybe you attended a surgery held by one of them, or participated in campaigning on their behalf, or have just corresponded by letter or email.

If you have, what was the purpose of you contacting them, and did their response satisfy you? And if you haven't, is there a reason behind that too?
shadowdweller
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
Some of my friends contacted our local MP after the vote on same-sex marriage... I can't remember the exact response, but I don't think it was what they were hoping for, though it was quite comprehensive.
Marc575
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
A couple of my friends put together a petition which I signed urging my MP (Seema Kennedy) to vote for the Dubs amendment. They found her response rather unsatisfactory but I imagine that would of always been the case unless she agreed to vote for the amendment.
Joep95
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Not my local mp but I contacted a mp on twitter asking if they could provide me evidence of a claim they were making, they blocked me.
Snufkin
Badges: 21
Report 5 years ago
I sometimes write to mine, usually to try and convince him not vote with the Government on a particular policy/bill. Not worked so far.
L i b
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
My previous local MP used to drink in the same pub as me, so I saw him and spoke to him quite regularly. Never really to pressure about policy or local issues though. We were in different parties.
username1292215
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
I spoke to him in person :cool: about a level advice and uni advice etc.
retro_turtles
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
I went to his house
Tiger Rag
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Yes. And he was utterly useless. I was having quite a serious problem with ATOS and their refusal to make a reasonable adjustment, which was to give me a more specific time for an appointment. (the letter just said "we'll be there any time between 9 and 11am") I was told to stop taking it so literally. Odd how everyone else I asked, (including a retired English teacher) took it the same way. Not.

Still waiting for a response from him over my other issue with them. Actually, I think I'm going to give up on that. He is utterly useless.
Reality Check
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Given I'm not a member of our local golf club, I've got very little chance of meeting with our local MP. He likes to be photographed cutting ribbons and kissing babies, so long as it doesn't interfere with his social life too much and he's treated with an appropriate level of deference from The Great Unwashed with whom he is unwillingly forced to associate.
mojojojo101
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Have e-mailed him on a number of occasions, only ever recieved an automated 'will get back to you' reply...

Had the displeasure of bumping in to Jeremy Hunt once (I live all of 10 mins from his constituency offfice) and he came across as an arrogant, rude and rather dim dweeb of a man I always suspected him of being.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA Combined Science - Biology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (59)
34.5%
The paper was reasonable (68)
39.77%
Not feeling great about that exam... (28)
16.37%
It was TERRIBLE (16)
9.36%

Watched Threads