This discussion is closed.
adam9317
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Self-Defense Bill 2017 - TSR Libertarian Party, seconded by the Rt Hon Hazzer1998 MP & the Rt Hon Jammy Duel MP

Self-Defense Act 2017

An Act to introduce a regulated, sensible process for obtaining a permit to keep and bear arms throughout the United Kingdom.

BE IT ENACTED by the Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1: Handgun Permit

(1) All individuals who meet the following requirements shall be permitted to purchase, sell and carry a handgun whose capacity is not to exceed 10 rounds per magazine:-

i. Pass a registered week-long course which provides training in the proper and safe use of handguns.

ii. Pass a mental health assessment administered by a physician.

iii. Pass a background check.

iv. Be no less than 18 years of age on the date the application is submitted.

(2) Individuals must store their handguns in a compartment that meets the following standards:-

i. It is not within reach of children or primates.

ii. It is stored in a container and secured using either electronic or physical locks.

(3) The Ministry of Justice is responsible for developing an application paper for receiving the handgun permit herein established, as well as the permit itself.

i. The permit should be credit card-size and contain the individual’s name, date of birth, picture, license issue date, expiration date, and permit number.

ii. Permits are valid for five years, and each aforementioned step in the application process must be repeated in order to renew them upon expiration.

(4) For the purposes of this Act:—

i. “A registered week-long course” is one administered by the Ministry of Justice, which will include no fewer than two day’s focus on self-defense, three day’s focus on aiming and target practice, and two day’s focus on cleaning, loading, and otherwise caring for one’s weapon.

ii. A “mental health assessment” is administered by a GP practicing within the United Kingdom, and a passing grade is an acknowledgement by that physician that the person in question is of stable mind and is not a threat to other’s physical safety based on their mental health.

iii. A “background check” is a check of an individual’s criminal record which is administered by a firm registered with the Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS).

iv. “Carry a handgun” means keeping the handgun concealed on one’s person in a holster, except in the event that a situation arises which would warrant the removal of the handgun from said holster for the preservation of one’s life or the life of others.

2: Switchblade Permit

(1) All individuals who meet the following requirements shall be permitted to purchase, sell and carry a switchblade whose length does not exceed five (5) inches:-

i. Pass a mental health assessment administered by a physician.

ii. Pass a background check.

iii. Be no less than 18 years of age on the date of purchase.

(2) The Ministry of Justice is responsible for developing an application paper for receiving the switchblade permit herein established, as well as the permit itself.

i. The permit should be credit card-size and contain the individual’s name, date of birth, picture, license issue date, expiration date, and permit number.

ii. Permits are valid for five years, and each aforementioned step in the application process must be repeated in order to renew them upon expiration.

3: Rights Abrogated

(1) All individuals found guilty of a crime involving a firearm of any kind, whether prior to or after the implementation of this Act, are immediately barred from utilizing any of the provisions of this Act to obtain a handgun at any time in the future.

4: Extent

This Act extends to the United Kingdom.

5: Commencement

The provisions of this Act come into force immediately.

6: Short Title

This Act may be cited as the Self - Defense Act 2017..

Spoiler:
Show

Short summary: This bill creates a permit process for purchasing a low to medium capacity handgun which includes: passing a mental health assessment, passing a background check, and attending firearms training. It also legalizes switchblades for individuals who complete the first two of the aforementioned three requirements.

Reasoning: There are several countries throughout the world with less-restrictive firearms laws than this bill would enact, yet lower homicide rates:

Switzerland - 45.7 guns per 100 residents

Sweden - 31.6 guns

Norway - 31.3 guns

Austria - 30.4 guns

Iceland - 30.3

Germany - 30.3

For comparison, the U.K. has just 6.6 guns per 100 residents. It is impossible to predict how different policies regarding guns would impact various countries due to the very different nature of culture throughout the world. Further, we reject the notion that the United States' extraordinary crime rate is solely due to the widespread availability of guns; there are far more major metropolitan areas in the U.S., which contribute disproportionately to violent crime.

This bill is a common sense step forward in permitting responsible, informed citizens to defend themselves.

Advertisement
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No, definitely not. The handgun ban is an excellent and very successful idea.

Nobody needs to defend themselves against the state, nor should be told that they need to.
Basiil17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Aye, good bill libers.
Advertisement
username2718212
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Nay.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)

Nobody needs to defend themselves against the state, nor should be told that they need to.
Really, maybe if you count successful as increasing gun crime rates:

Such gun controls only work when you close your eyes, shove your fingers in your wars, and pretend that utopia in your head is reality.
Advertisement
Gladstone1885
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

The state is probably the least likely potential aggressor against one's person, so it's curious you would cite it as the target of this very modest bill. On the contrary my good fellow, this is more about rapists, murderers and robbers than the collective gang of thieves which comprise modern government.
CoffeeAndPolitics
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Nay - I'm not in favour of this bill at all and I feel it will not help protect and defend the people of the UK. I also agree with the point my Rt.Hon friend, Saracen's Fez has made above.
Advertisement
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)

Such gun controls only work when you close your eyes, shove your fingers in your wars, and pretend that utopia in your head is reality.
And are you really going to suggest that gun crime rates would be lower with handguns available to the general public?

(Original post by Gladstone1885)
The state is probably the least likely potential aggressor against one's person, so it's curious you would cite it as the target of this very modest bill. On the contrary my good fellow, this is more about rapists, murderers and robbers than the collective gang of thieves which comprise modern government.
Well given the Libertarian Party seems to want to do little more at times than transpose US laws over the Atlantic, it's a fair assumption to make.

I'd like to walk the streets of Britain without wondering who may or may not be carrying a firearm, thanks.
username2080673
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Abstain. I can understand the reasoning for the bill but the vast majority of people don't need guns so what you end up with is criminals possibly energised and innocent people being shot either accidentally or otherwise.
Advertisement
username2808800
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics)
Nay - I'm not in favour of this bill at all and I feel it will not help protect and defend the people of the UK. I also agree with the point my Rt.Hon friend, Saracen's Fez has made above.

How has the handgun ban failed?
Oh wait it hasn't
I don't see a major issue at the moment and legalising them is an unnecessary risk.
The UK has one of the lowest rates of gun homicides in the world
I agree with the foreign secretary Saracen's Fez.
TheDefiniteArticle
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Nay.

Also, adam9317, this is not an Act, it is a Bill. Please amend OP accordingly.
Advertisement
mashbbk
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

False correlation / causation argument.

Secondly their is another fallacy of an arguement - that with this law, only criminals have access to guns. Being a criminal isn't binary, people aren't predestined to be criminal or not. You could commit a crime at any given time. You lost your trumpeter or in a jealous angry fit, decided to shoot, instead of perhaps knocking someone out. Just owning a gun may give rise to you premeditating an illegal use of it.
Gladstone1885
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'd like to walk the streets of Britain without wondering who may or may not be carrying a firearm, thanks.
I would feel safer knowing that responsible citizens are watching out for me and working to keep the streets clean, as I do when I'm visiting the United States for diplomatic reasons
Advertisement
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Gladstone1885
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by mashbbk)
False correlation / causation argument.

Secondly their is another fallacy of an arguement - that with this law, only criminals have access to guns. Being a criminal isn't binary, people aren't predestined to be criminal or not. You could commit a crime at any given time. You lost your trumpeter or in a jealous angry fit, decided to shoot, instead of perhaps knocking someone out. Just owning a gun may give rise to you premeditating an illegal use of it.
I would refer you to the mental health assessment requirement in the bill, as well as the training requirement. Legal gun owners (in the United States at least) are taught not to do exactly what you just said would likely happen as a standard part of our culture. Guns are for defense only.
The Financier
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
GaelicBolshevik
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Meh.

I sympathise with the idea but tbh you could just repeal the handgun ban. These requirements are typical of any gun license in Britain, no?

EDIT: Also, no to the permits for switchblades. You're libertarians, why does there need to be permits for a knife just because of how it is presented?
Advertisement
username2808800
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Forgot to include the UK has one of the lowest gun homicide rates in the world
username1751857
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Nay.
username2808800
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Gladstone1885)
I would refer you to the mental health assessment requirement in the bill, as well as the training requirement. Legal gun owners (in the United States at least) are taught not to do exactly what you just said would likely happen as a standard part of our culture. Guns are for defense only.
The UK gun homicide is one of the lowest world , read my points above.
Nay
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (81)
14.16%
I'm not sure (26)
4.55%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (181)
31.64%
I have already dropped out (12)
2.1%
I'm not a current university student (272)
47.55%

Watched Threads