The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I have no idea what I'd like to earn, doesn't really matter that much to me tbh, but the 22k for your friends sounds like a bit too little perhaps? I make 22k in a callcenter job for which i didn't need any qualifications. I guess I'd like to earn at least 30k after uni, bc i feel like i should be earning more after uni than in an uneducated job.
I'm 24, graduated 2 years ago and have 3 years' experience in the industry that I work in and I'm earning £27k. I consider that to be a good salary (in Birmingham). I work in Marketing btw.
Original post by JME1993
I'm 24, graduated 2 years ago and have 3 years' experience in the industry that I work in and I'm earning £27k. I consider that to be a good salary (in Birmingham). I work in Marketing btw.

Is that why you asked if it was good or not in another thread?
Original post by Student-95
Is that why you asked if it was good or not in another thread?

I personally think it's good. I was asking other people's opinions...
I think 40-50k is a good salary for a normal job that isn't too heavy & 60-70k is a good salary for a job with little free time.
I also think 35-45k is a good salary for a research-related job (assuming you like the subject area) which may not leave much free time but if you find the research itself exciting, less free time doesn't matter as much.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 325
Original post by JME1993

I graduated in 2008 and started earning £28k in Warrington immediately. How do you consider that?
Original post by small.littlefish
i was talking to a friend the other day who has just graduated from a masters program in humanities and has got a job in central London for £22,000. She told me she expects to earn £30,000 in 2 years, and £100,000 in 10 years(she'll be 40 by then)....😲

It got me thinking, what's a good salary? I've always been skint since graduating, so I'd be happy with £30,000 living in the north (Manchester/Leeds/Scotland), as cheesy as it sounds I'd prefer less working hours, more enjoyable job or working for myself as long as I'm not really poor.

But speaking to some friends, they seem to expect £50+ salarys and below that isn't enough? Even though they chose the social science/humanities postgrad...😆

So What is a good salary? Am I being to unambitous?

Today? Not even enough to earn £50,000. Doesn't pay bills. Actually others who live abroad have lower salaries than us but can still afford to pay bills and private tutoring in their country.
So if you have a family and want to put your child in a private school for example, it wouldn't be possible.
Original post by MeMyselfand I
Today? Not even enough to earn £50,000. Doesn't pay bills. Actually others who live abroad have lower salaries than us but can still afford to pay bills and private tutoring in their country.
So if you have a family and want to put your child in a private school for example, it wouldn't be possible.

You are replying to a post from 2017.

Thread is now closed :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending