The Student Room Group

#FoodieFridays: Do you keep ketchup in the fridge?

Poll

Do you keep ketchup in the fridge or the cupboard/

Something that came up amongst housemates today... do you keep ketchup in the fridge or the cupboard? :holmes:
In the cupboard, then in the fridge once opened :smile:
Cupboard
It doesn't belong in the fridge, it was invented before the fridge.

Anyone who puts it in the fridge is a monster.
Reply 4
Cupboard

The only condiment we keep in our fridge is mayo
Original post by Leviathan1741

This is what I do too! :five:

Original post by Willy Pete
It doesn't belong in the fridge, it was invented before the fridge.

Anyone who puts it in the fridge is a monster.

A monster? But, can't there be any exceptions? :puppyeyes:
Anyone who doesn't put it in the fridge after opening is dangerous.
Original post by yudothis
Anyone who doesn't put it in the fridge after opening is dangerous.

You guys have very strong views on ketchup!
Question: Do I have to store ketchup and mustard in the fridge once they’re opened?

Answer: Technically speaking, you don’t have to store opened bottles of ketchup and mustard in the refrigerator. But it’s a good idea all the same, since they will last much longer if you do, as condiment manufacturers like French's point out. Due to their high acid content, opened bottles of mustard and ketchup will keep fine for about a month in the pantry. But after that, their flavor, appearance and texture will begin to break down and deteriorate much more quickly at normal room temperatures than in the cooler 40° F storage conditions of the refrigerator. An opened bottle of ketchup should stay at peak quality for about 6 months in the fridge; mustard for at least a year. And both will remain safe to consume or much longer than that, as long as they've been continuously refrigerated.

A month???????

You cupboard people, you!
Question: Do I have to store ketchup and mustard in the fridge once they’re opened?

Answer: Technically speaking, you don’t have to store opened bottles of ketchup and mustard in the refrigerator. But it’s a good idea all the same, since they will last much longer if you do, as condiment manufacturers like French's point out. Due to their high acid content, opened bottles of mustard and ketchup will keep fine for about a month in the pantry. But after that, their flavor, appearance and texture will begin to break down and deteriorate much more quickly at normal room temperatures than in the cooler 40° F storage conditions of the refrigerator. An opened bottle of ketchup should stay at peak quality for about 6 months in the fridge; mustard for at least a year. And both will remain safe to consume or much longer than that, as long as they've been continuously refrigerated.

A month???????

Maybe that's because some households *cough*mine*cough* can finish a bottle of ketchup in a week, and don't need it to last that long. wkwkwk. We do keep mustard in the cupboard though....
Original post by shadowdweller
A monster? But, can't there be any exceptions? :puppyeyes:

No, it was a condiment made to be kept in cupboards.

A month???????

Oops, I keep mine in the cupboard for months on end and still use it! I haven't got ill from it (touch wood) yet! :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BurstingBubbles
Oops, I keep mine in the cupboard for months on end and still use it! I haven't got ill from it (touch wood) yet! :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh no, you are one of those people! The cupboard people...

Haha I think if you read it carefully it does not say it turns bad, just it starts to lose its taste and texture.
Original post by Leviathan1741

Me too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BurstingBubbles

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is preserved with vinegar and artificial preservatives to allow it to be stored without the use of refrigeration.

Quick Reply

Latest