bluepearl7
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Can someone please explain some different methods of testing a programme to me? I'm not too sure, I've tried researching but I didn't really understand any of it. It's for my coursework development So any sort of help will be appreciated.

Thanks!
Isadorious
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
For testing you have black box and white box testing. For black box testing you don't care about what the code does, all that matters is that it works. So you give it a particular set of inputs this allows you to know what the expected outputs should be. If problems arise during black box testing you have to find and fix them. This is where white box testing comes into play; for white box you test as maybe routes through your code as possible. You need to test every logical statement you have written, so say for example you have an if statement to check the value of an integer, put a test in place where the correct value integer is inserted and when an incorrect value integer is inserted. You should test anything that runs due to logical statements for this such as if statements and while loops.
bluepearl7
Rep:
?
(Original post by Isadorious)
For testing you have black box and white box testing. For black box testing you don't care about what the code does, all that matters is that it works. So you give it a particular set of inputs this allows you to know what the expected outputs should be. If problems arise during black box testing you have to find and fix them. This is where white box testing comes into play; for white box you test as maybe routes through your code as possible. You need to test every logical statement you have written, so say for example you have an if statement to check the value of an integer, put a test in place where the correct value integer is inserted and when an incorrect value integer is inserted. You should test anything that runs due to logical statements for this such as if statements and while loops.

Ohh ok that makes much more sense now.

Thanks
Btw How would I apply different types of testing to something on JavaScript ? say for example you created an animation on a webpage webpage. There aren't that many 'inputs' you can do because it's just an animation and you would have to maximum test for a button as an input.
What else would you test for in JavaScript animation like how can you apply the different types of testing?
Isadorious
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by bluepearl7)
Ohh ok that makes much more sense now.

Thanks
Btw How would I apply different types of testing to something on JavaScript ? say for example you created an animation on a webpage webpage. There aren't that many 'inputs' you can do because it's just an animation and you would have to maximum test for a button as an input.
What else would you test for in JavaScript animation like how can you apply the different types of testing?
I personally don't have any experience with JavaScript and I've only dealt with testing Java for my own coursework. But when I tested the buttons I had whatever screen appeared before the button screenshot, then anything it manipulated after I pressed the button e.g. text files or the screen itself. I would suggest talking to your teacher about it more
bluepearl7
Rep:
?
(Original post by Isadorious)
I personally don't have any experience with JavaScript and I've only dealt with testing Java for my own coursework. But when I tested the buttons I had whatever screen appeared before the button screenshot, then anything it manipulated after I pressed the button e.g. text files or the screen itself. I would suggest talking to your teacher about it more
Alright I will.
Thanks again for your help.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Exeter campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 27 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (293)
60.29%
Yes- I don't like it (24)
4.94%