username3053602
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm want to go back and sit some A levels again (through self study) as I feel I underachieved while I was at school. My aim is to study mathematics which I have become very interested in.

If possible I would love to study at Cambridge. I'm quite sure I could obtain top grades at A level if I work hard but I am unsure about STEP. It looks very daunting and seems to require a lot of mathematical intuition which I think you either have or you don't.

So I would like to get your opinions on this matter.
Kevin De Bruyne
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by grj91)
I'm want to go back and sit some A levels again (through self study) as I feel I underachieved while I was at school. My aim is to study mathematics which I have become very interested in.

If possible I would love to study at Cambridge. I'm quite sure I could obtain top grades at A level if I work hard but I am unsure about STEP. It looks very daunting and seems to require a lot of mathematical intuition which I think you either have or you don't.

So I would like to get your opinions on this matter.
Some points:

STEP and indeed anything will look challenging when you've never seen it and never attempted it. It may or may not get better with practice. There is a useful thread on here called STEP prep which may help you.

Make sure you are clear on why you want to study Maths and what it involves at university. A lot of people fall for this and find that they don't like some aspects of university maths.

Of course everyone's dream is to study at Cambridge but don't be disheadtened if you don't get in. There are other good unis to go to too. But to maximise your chances, do your research and find out what is expected you from interviews etc...

Good luck!
username3053602
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Thanks for the reply.

Now I also have some A level maths questions.

First, I understand that there are new specs (I'm looking st OCR) coming out for A level and was wondering how they compare to the old ones as I still have 2 years to take the old ones. All I can tell is that they introduced Large Data Sets although I don't know what they look like or how we'll be expected to use them.

For now, I am planning on studying the old spec as I am already familiar with it up to A level without FM. Would this affect me in any way I haven't foreseen?

Lastly, modules. I know that for standard maths you take C1-4 plus two applied modules. For FM, there's FP1-3. So do I do all three plus three applied modules? Which ones do I take at AS/A2?
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by grj91)
Thanks for the reply.

Now I also have some A level maths questions.

First, I understand that there are new specs (I'm looking st OCR) coming out for A level and was wondering how they compare to the old ones as I still have 2 years to take the old ones. All I can tell is that they introduced Large Data Sets although I don't know what they look like or how we'll be expected to use them.

For now, I am planning on studying the old spec as I am already familiar with it up to A level without FM. Would this affect me in any way I haven't foreseen?

Lastly, modules. I know that for standard maths you take C1-4 plus two applied modules. For FM, there's FP1-3. So do I do all three plus three applied modules? Which ones do I take at AS/A2?
This is something of a necro but, there are no longer modules in the new Maths spec. A-level Maths is now 100% prescribed topics - i.e. the material for all exam boards is the same (although not necessarily how they decide to examine it, although it'll be broadly similar).

You may find this a helpful comparison reference. In general, the FMSP is a very useful reference on many aspects of A-level Maths and Further Maths - they also can also offer paid tuition sessions for mature students (as well as A-level students, although depending on their circumstances they may not need to pay for e.g. FM tuition if their school doesn't offer it).
mojos
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm in a similar situation. Mature student looking to go to uni to do maths. Ideally cambridge. I'm confident I can get A* A* in Maths and Further Maths.

The biggest challenge is not making silly mistakes/not showing how i answered the in the right way.

The biggest uncertainty is STEP. I don't know if I'll get better at it. Right now, just looking at the papers, I have no idea how to even start the questions.

I'm willing to work hard to do well, but afraid that hard work is not enough to get a good grade on STEP.
flashylightsmeow
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hi. Just saw your post and am thinking shoot doing exactly the same thing. Did you end up applying for maths, and did you get into Cantab!?Best
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (220)
43.65%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (57)
11.31%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (39)
7.74%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (106)
21.03%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (55)
10.91%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.36%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed