Which is the best Warwick accommodation hall?

Watch
btchls
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hey guys. I've just received an unconditional offer for Warwick Law for Oct 2017 and am pretty much set on it as my first choice university. So right now I am deciding on which hall I would like as my accommodation and am most concerned with:

- Social life / Night life; I basically partied throughout the two of my IB years (when I wasn't working, of course) and I don't think that will change anytime soon
- en suite; Quite important to me but if the communal bathrooms aren't horrendous I might try to compromise

I do know Rootes is the go-to if the first factor is my priority. However, I would prefer to live with an en suite bathroom. But I am afraid that if i opt for a hall with the latter, I might lose out on the social life at Rootes. So I do need some advice on which are the halls that will give me a good compromise. Also, do let me know if any of you guys are doing your LLB at Warwick/will be starting your LLB this year at Warwick. Cheers!
walkonby
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by btchls)
Hey guys. I've just received an unconditional offer for Warwick Law for Oct 2017 and am pretty much set on it as my first choice university. So right now I am deciding on which hall I would like as my accommodation and am most concerned with:

- Social life / Night life; I basically partied throughout the two of my IB years (when I wasn't working, of course) and I don't think that will change anytime soon
- en suite; Quite important to me but if the communal bathrooms aren't horrendous I might try to compromise

I do know Rootes is the go-to if the first factor is my priority. However, I would prefer to live with an en suite bathroom. But I am afraid that if i opt for a hall with the latter, I might lose out on the social life at Rootes. So I do need some advice on which are the halls that will give me a good compromise. Also, do let me know if any of you guys are doing your LLB at Warwick/will be starting your LLB this year at Warwick. Cheers!
Well done on your unconditional!

My dad studied law at warwick and stayed in rootes. I get the impression it's incredibly basic accommodation but if that's all you need then it's alright. Rootes is also a lot nearer to the centre of the uni than the accommodation in cryfield/lakeside etc.

saying this, everything is so spread out on the warwick campus that wherever you are living, people will be walking to and from the SU for nights out, none of the halls are 'next door' as it were.

if you get an en suite, you won't lose the nightlife/social life, you'll still be sharing a kitchen with a bunch of people. a lot of the social life at warwick happens through the sports teams too. sounds like you'll meet loads of people on your nights out anyway!
tulsi77
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey, I firmed Warwick for LLB too for October 2017. I think accommodation opens end of May but I'm so confused on the accommodation I should pick. Like you, I want the social life but I can't not have an ensuite.

I'm thinking Shelbourne as first pick but everyone is complaining about how far it is... but I LOVE Shelbourne's kitchen compared to Jack Martin and Arthur Vick, as it gives a more social place where everyone in the same halls can just hang out together.

I'm also thinking to make Cryfield my last choice. Bluebell is a no for me as I simply don't think it's worth it for the money, and I heard Rootes is amazing for party life, but I just cannot share bathrooms
btchls
Rep:
?
(Original post by tulsi77)
Hey, I firmed Warwick for LLB too for October 2017. I think accommodation opens end of May but I'm so confused on the accommodation I should pick. Like you, I want the social life but I can't not have an ensuite.

I'm thinking Shelbourne as first pick but everyone is complaining about how far it is... but I LOVE Shelbourne's kitchen compared to Jack Martin and Arthur Vick, as it gives a more social place where everyone in the same halls can just hang out together.

I'm also thinking to make Cryfield my last choice. Bluebell is a no for me as I simply don't think it's worth it for the money, and I heard Rootes is amazing for party life, but I just cannot share bathrooms
Same here! Sherbourne is my first choice. Actually I think Heronbank and Lakeside are the furthest en-suites. Anyway, hope to see you there mate! x
Hamdi26
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I also firmed for Msc MSE and do not know what to choose for accomodation!!
Ellen Jane
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm coming to the end of my first year at Warwick atm, so I know a little bit about the accommodation and can give you a brief overview of my fave accommodation (from what I've seen of where my friends live)

DO GO FOR:

Rootes - Especially during Freshers week, Rootes is mental, so if you love noise 24/7, apply for Rootes. You're guaranteed to meet loads of people which can be great, and the social aspect of these halls are brilliant, but if you're someone who needs downtime as well as a social life it may not be the best place for you. New Rootes is quite nice, Old Rootes less so but still live-able. The rooms vary in size but the kitchens are generally OK. Can get messy v. quickly owing to the large number of people per kitchen and you won't have a lot of privacy. I was keen for Rootes but didn't get it - having spent a year living in a much quieter accommodation I'm pretty relieved I don't live there now, but if you did get it I'm sure you'd get used to it.

Arthur Vick/Jack Martin - Generally considered the best accommodation, you get an ensuite and the kitchens are huge. Nice location, central but not TOO central, relatively quiet but you still meet lots of people and go out a lot. I put AV as my first choice but didn't get it, it's very popular. Expensive but probably worth it.

Cryfield - Cryfield (where I am!!!) is pretty great. It's halls in the same way Rootes is, it's just slightly smaller and in a less-conspicuous location, but it's still really central. From my door to the SU takes about 3 mins if you walk quickly, but it's tucked behind a road so you don't feel like you're too central. Super cheap, share bathrooms but I've never had a problem with sharing a bathroom and they're pretty clean. Met some great people in Cryfield and the corridors are painted in cute colours. Kitchens are huge! It was fairly noisy during Freshers but has now settled down so I can work in my room if I need to which is nice. All the cool kids in Cryfield fam. (But then I'm biased). Only disadvantage is the killer walk to Tesco/Cannon park, but over the year I've gotten used to it.

Claycroft - Super near the gym and Tesco, which will prove to be really convenient if you need to do a lot of shopping/if you're a sporty person. A bit far away from central campus for my taste but not crazy far, it's nothing like Westwood or Sherbourne. Rooms are nice, lots of people, fairly social but not too mental. Kitchens decent size. You share a bathroom between 2 people I believe, which is a nice compromise if you don't want to fork out an expensive acom. with an ensuite. Reasonable price, and the little Claycroft courtyard is super cute. Sometimes I wish I lived here.

TOCIL - I always walk through Tocil on my way to Tesco, and it looks really cute, like a little village. I've never been inside, so can't say much for it, but I've heard it's decent money. Close to central campus, gym and Tesco, you sort of get the best of all worlds with Tocil (I'd imagine).

DON'T GO FOR:

Bluebell - Majorly expensive and probably not worth it. OK, the kitchens are nice and you get an ensuite bathroom - there's also (apparently) a doorman, which is nuts - but overall the money really isn't worth it considering you'd do just as well somewhere else. However, it is quite central while still being relatively quiet, so you get the best of both worlds in that respect, but, ultimately it isn't worth it for the money in my opinion.

Sherbourne/Lakeside - I've never actually been here, but according to the people who do live there, it's a bloody long walk to literally anything, especially Tesco. Again, probably not worth the money, even if you do get fancy living quarters. It's probably got nice views though.

MAYBE GO FOR

Westwood - Westwood's sort of got a reputation for being so far away from the rest of campus, and it's true in the fact that it literally is an extremely long walk to central campus, the bus stop, the SU, lectures etc. which must surely be a pain. However, it's close to Tesco and the Film/Television/Drama department if you're taking that particular degree. It's also quite nice and the rooms are HUGE, although you share a bathroom. It's relatively quiet but not totally dead, and in a respect it's kind of its own little community tucked away from the rest of campus, with a huge dining hall/canteen thing and shop. It's not the worst of the worst but if you want to be more central don't go for it.

Whitefields - Nicknamed 'Shitefields' but it's not too bad, I've been there a couple of times and each little Whitefields 'house' is exactly like that, a house. It's really cute, but very very central, with one particular part of it sticking out almost onto the main road running through campus, so I imagine it gets extremely noisy on Friday and Saturday nights. Cheap, though.

I've possibly forgotten a couple, but that's my general opinion on the Warwick accommodation! What I would say is, don't make any serious decision about accom. based on the fact you're desperate for your own bathroom. In cases where you don't have an ensuite, you'll get a sink in your room anyway which is really helpful, and besides, you've shared a family bathroom your whole life, so what's the difference in sharing one at Uni? I've literally never had a problem in terms of hygiene with the bathrooms at Cryfield, and there's a cleaner who comes two times a week so it never gets that bad anyway.

Anyway good luck choosing and I hope I've helped in some way! If you have any other questions message me.
btchls
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ellen Jane)
I'm coming to the end of my first year at Warwick atm, so I know a little bit about the accommodation and can give you a brief overview of my fave accommodation (from what I've seen of where my friends live)

DO GO FOR:

Rootes - Especially during Freshers week, Rootes is mental, so if you love noise 24/7, apply for Rootes. You're guaranteed to meet loads of people which can be great, and the social aspect of these halls are brilliant, but if you're someone who needs downtime as well as a social life it may not be the best place for you. New Rootes is quite nice, Old Rootes less so but still live-able. The rooms vary in size but the kitchens are generally OK. Can get messy v. quickly owing to the large number of people per kitchen and you won't have a lot of privacy. I was keen for Rootes but didn't get it - having spent a year living in a much quieter accommodation I'm pretty relieved I don't live there now, but if you did get it I'm sure you'd get used to it.

Arthur Vick/Jack Martin - Generally considered the best accommodation, you get an ensuite and the kitchens are huge. Nice location, central but not TOO central, relatively quiet but you still meet lots of people and go out a lot. I put AV as my first choice but didn't get it, it's very popular. Expensive but probably worth it.

Cryfield - Cryfield (where I am!!!) is pretty great. It's halls in the same way Rootes is, it's just slightly smaller and in a less-conspicuous location, but it's still really central. From my door to the SU takes about 3 mins if you walk quickly, but it's tucked behind a road so you don't feel like you're too central. Super cheap, share bathrooms but I've never had a problem with sharing a bathroom and they're pretty clean. Met some great people in Cryfield and the corridors are painted in cute colours. Kitchens are huge! It was fairly noisy during Freshers but has now settled down so I can work in my room if I need to which is nice. All the cool kids in Cryfield fam. (But then I'm biased). Only disadvantage is the killer walk to Tesco/Cannon park, but over the year I've gotten used to it.

Claycroft - Super near the gym and Tesco, which will prove to be really convenient if you need to do a lot of shopping/if you're a sporty person. A bit far away from central campus for my taste but not crazy far, it's nothing like Westwood or Sherbourne. Rooms are nice, lots of people, fairly social but not too mental. Kitchens decent size. You share a bathroom between 2 people I believe, which is a nice compromise if you don't want to fork out an expensive acom. with an ensuite. Reasonable price, and the little Claycroft courtyard is super cute. Sometimes I wish I lived here.

TOCIL - I always walk through Tocil on my way to Tesco, and it looks really cute, like a little village. I've never been inside, so can't say much for it, but I've heard it's decent money. Close to central campus, gym and Tesco, you sort of get the best of all worlds with Tocil (I'd imagine).

DON'T GO FOR:

Bluebell - Majorly expensive and probably not worth it. OK, the kitchens are nice and you get an ensuite bathroom - there's also (apparently) a doorman, which is nuts - but overall the money really isn't worth it considering you'd do just as well somewhere else. However, it is quite central while still being relatively quiet, so you get the best of both worlds in that respect, but, ultimately it isn't worth it for the money in my opinion.

Sherbourne/Lakeside - I've never actually been here, but according to the people who do live there, it's a bloody long walk to literally anything, especially Tesco. Again, probably not worth the money, even if you do get fancy living quarters. It's probably got nice views though.

MAYBE GO FOR

Westwood - Westwood's sort of got a reputation for being so far away from the rest of campus, and it's true in the fact that it literally is an extremely long walk to central campus, the bus stop, the SU, lectures etc. which must surely be a pain. However, it's close to Tesco and the Film/Television/Drama department if you're taking that particular degree. It's also quite nice and the rooms are HUGE, although you share a bathroom. It's relatively quiet but not totally dead, and in a respect it's kind of its own little community tucked away from the rest of campus, with a huge dining hall/canteen thing and shop. It's not the worst of the worst but if you want to be more central don't go for it.

Whitefields - Nicknamed 'Shitefields' but it's not too bad, I've been there a couple of times and each little Whitefields 'house' is exactly like that, a house. It's really cute, but very very central, with one particular part of it sticking out almost onto the main road running through campus, so I imagine it gets extremely noisy on Friday and Saturday nights. Cheap, though.

I've possibly forgotten a couple, but that's my general opinion on the Warwick accommodation! What I would say is, don't make any serious decision about accom. based on the fact you're desperate for your own bathroom. In cases where you don't have an ensuite, you'll get a sink in your room anyway which is really helpful, and besides, you've shared a family bathroom your whole life, so what's the difference in sharing one at Uni? I've literally never had a problem in terms of hygiene with the bathrooms at Cryfield, and there's a cleaner who comes two times a week so it never gets that bad anyway.

Anyway good luck choosing and I hope I've helped in some way! If you have any other questions message me.
Thanks for the detailed response! I was definitely going to put AV/JM down but I heard international students don't usually opt for the halls with the 34 week let as they have to move their things out during the Easter half-term? Isn't that quite a hassle if I had to do that before travelling back home?

Also, besides the distance for Sherbourne/Lakeside (as I wouldn't really mind walking a bit more as I'm quite used to that back home), is there anything else in particular, in your opinion, makes it a shite hall? Is it lacking in social life or anything? x
TitanCream
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

DO GO FOR:

DON'T GO FOR:

MAYBE GO FOR

People forget that there is a bus stop right outside of Westwood where both the 11 and other buses pass. If anything, it is better here because we can get on the bus before everyone else heading to leamo! . Huge dining hall??? We have Westwood cafe but two kitchens on each floor with roughly 9-12 people in each. It is a nice community though, and in winter the walks back are brutal.
megmogs101
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
When do we apply for accommodation and How?
testytesttest
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
go for rootes if you want to make the most out of university
btchls
Rep:
?
(Original post by megmogs101)
When do we apply for accommodation and How?
Application for accommodation only comes out start of June/end of May. They will email you once you've firmed/insured them on UCAS.
megmogs101
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by btchls)
Application for accommodation only comes out start of June/end of May. They will email you once you've firmed/insured them on UCAS.
Great, Thanks.
Hamza Fareed
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey, international student here with a conditional offer for Law (LLB). I've currently finalized Jack Martin, Rootes, Claycroft, and Lakeside. But if Lakeside is as far as people make it out to be, then I may decide to choose something else. I would prefer an ensuite but then don't want to miss out on the social life if it's too far. So heronbank and Lakeside seem unlikely. I may choose something else but I don't what. I'd prefer my own washbasin
Rozeter
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

DO GO FOR:

DON'T GO FOR:

MAYBE GO FOR

What about redfern?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (8)
12.5%
I need help researching courses (5)
7.81%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
4.69%
I need help with my personal statement (27)
42.19%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (16)
25%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
3.13%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
4.69%

Watched Threads