Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Edit: Sorry, wrong thread
Snufkin
Badges: 21
Report 4 years ago
You've changed your tune. A few weeks ago you made a thread calling Deutschland, Deutschland über alles "Nazi words". :facepalm::fuhrer:
Kvothe the Arcane
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I agree that the anthem isn't inherently offensive. But why change it?
Snufkin
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Mathemagicien)
I've changed my tune from a sarcastic "nationalism doesn't have any place in a national anthem, its one step from patriotism to nazism", yes. I am making the same point in both threads, if you are capable of seeing through sarcasm:
I'm not sure the posting of pictures negates the fact that you blamed the Holocaust on the phrase 'Deutschland, Deutschland über alles' - maybe you were being sarcastic, or maybe you were being deliberately controversial. After so much clickbait, I don't know what you actually believe anymore.
Willy Pete
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Snufkin)
I'm not sure the posting of pictures negates the fact that you blamed the Holocaust on the phrase 'Deutschland, Deutschland über alles' - maybe you were being sarcastic, or maybe you were being deliberately controversial. After so much clickbait, I don't know what you actually believe anymore.
I believe the term is Devil's advocate.
neal95
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The song was around before the nazis so Germany could do that.
AYNTDIS
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
We need a Planet Anthem. Nations are silly things nowadays.
Snufkin
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Willy Pete)
I believe the term is Devil's advocate.
Yes, that was the term I was looking for.

How is that possible? I have almost 11 gems, almost all of which is from posting political commentary in Debate forums.
:iiam: :elefant:
username402722
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Maybe the German people are content with the anthem they have now?
ThePricklyOne
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Love the German anthem. But if it becomes too controversial, they could replace it with this:

https://youtu.be/4pbMUEHvoAo

An Die Freude/Ode to Joy sung version by Beethoven.
AYNTDIS
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
People are too different for that to work. Nations are very important. They work best when their citizens are much more similar to one another. Speaking the same language would be good, for a start. Whatever language, message, and style your "Planet Anthem", the majority of people will dislike it.

Most of Europe is engaged in transforming from a variety of small, petty states, to a grand European state; a bigger version of how Germany transformed from many ethnically German states to one big German state (although sadly Austria and a few others were left out). But the new form will still be a state.
i think that's called pessimism
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
this would be a nice anthem for them:

simone0110
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
As a german I am convinced, that it is the right thing to not sing the Deutschlandlied anymore. You are right, that one could interpret "Deutschland, Deutschland über alles" in other ways, than the Nazis did. But this line is especially connected with the NS-Regime between 1933 and 1945 and was horribly missused.

Germany made an effort to work an what went wrong in the past, most importantly in WW2, and this includes forbidding the
things, that the Nazis used for their Antisemitical propaganda.

In additon, the song "Die Wacht am Rhein" is from a different period of time in german history, to be more precise when the German Empire was founded in 1871. It is a sign of the uprising nationalism (that was later missused by the Nazis) that began to be very important for many europeen states in the 19th century, for example france and was used in a completly different context. Therefore it is hard to compare "Die Wacht am Rhein" and the "Deutschlandlied"
ThePricklyOne
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What about Die Wacht am Rhein?

Much more stirring.
I'm more for uplifting than stirring but the best bit is this: Fest steht und treu die Wacht, die Wacht am Rhein!( May the Watch stand firm and true, the Watch on the Rhine).
AYNTDIS
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think its called not being absolutely deluded.
not in our lifetime but in a few centuries people will be proud to be a part of humanity. things required before that are: enforced veganism, space-colonisation, global democratic feudalism.
ThePricklyOne
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by AYNTDIS)
not in our lifetime but in a few centuries people will be proud to be a part of humanity. things required before that are: enforced veganism, space-colonisation, global democratic feudalism.
Not gonna happen, tho.

Esp Veganism. I will defend my KFC addiction to my dying days!
simone0110
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
[QUOTE=Mathemagicien;70380978]You yourselves have linked it to the Nazi regime in your rush to de-Nazify.

"We" did not linke it to the Nazi period, it already had a connection with that time. Why are you so interested in the "Deutschlandlied" if I may ask?

It is true that the denazification, which was a part of the potsdam agreement in 1945 tried to get rid of everything that was connected with the Nazis very fast.

But I think that that was important, in order to give the citizens the chance to move on, what is your opinion about that?
AYNTDIS
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You yourselves have linked it to the Nazi regime in your rush to de-Nazify.

Enforced veganism :rofl:

Global democratic feudalism :rofl2:

The future will horribly disappoint you.
Does your crystal ball tell you that?
AYNTDIS
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ThePricklyOne)
Not gonna happen, tho.

Esp Veganism. I will defend my KFC addiction to my dying days!
Don't worry they won't be long. Studies are finding a strong link between meat-eating and cancer.
ThePricklyOne
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by AYNTDIS)
Don't worry they won't be long. Studies are finding a strong link between meat-eating and cancer.
Studies also link veganism with:

- anorexia and other diet related mental health issues.
- pomposity and cult like intolerance of differences of opinion.

Guess you're doomed then
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should 'Mental health support' be included on league tables?

Yes (192)
75%
No (64)
25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed