The Student Room Group

First lot of drivers hit hit with new harder mobile phone penalties

Including one teenager who lost his licence straight up, goes to show it ain't worth using the phone at the wheel
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4271246/amp/Drivers-caught-using-mobile-phones-wheel-again.html

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Rock Fan
Including one teenager who lost his licence straight up, goes to show it ain't worth using the phone at the wheel
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4271246/amp/Drivers-caught-using-mobile-phones-wheel-again.html

It ain't worth using your phone not because you'll lose your licence but potentially kill someone.
Original post by SGHD26716
It ain't worth using your phone not because you'll lose your licence but potentially kill someone.

That too, some say it is more dangerous than being drunk at the wheel
Good, they all deserve it.
they should offer cash prizes for reporting offenders anonymously... i would be on it like a car bonnet :h:
Original post by Willy Pete
Good, they all deserve it.

Definitely. Though I'd really like to see instant seizure of the vehicle like they do with other driving offences. Regardless of age.
Original post by RF_PineMarten
Definitely. Though I'd really like to see instant seizure of the vehicle like they do with other driving offences. Regardless of age.

One thing at a time, this should have cracked down on years ago.
Original post by RF_PineMarten

Take the phone and cancel the phone number would be one suitable punishment. If you lost all your phone contacts the inconvenience would be far worse than a fine.

A driving ban until you can demonstrate that you can manage without checking your phone in the daytime for a couple of hours (maximum length recommended for motorway driving without a break) would be another.
Reply 8
Feel bad for em tbh, wasn't even aware it had changed.
Original post by Yaboi
Feel bad for em tbh, wasn't even aware it had changed.

The law didn't change, just the penalty.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well good. It's better than causing death. Hopefully people will now take heed.
Reply 11
Original post by TheDefiniteArticle
The law didn't change, just the penalty.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's what i meant lol
Original post by Yaboi
That's what i meant lol

Are you suggesting that "I know it's a criminal offence but I thought I'd get off lighter" is a good argument?
I've caught dozens of people using their phone on the road, notably on the motorway. Once saw this woman driving with her kid in the front seat whilst on her phone.

Idiots.
Reply 14
Original post by the bear
they should offer cash prizes for reporting offenders anonymously... i would be on it like a car bonnet :h:

Something similar to this already exists. There is an app where you can report the registration number of a car which is parked illegally. You take a photo of the car and send it through via the app. You then get £10 for every car you report.
they don't take heed of other driving laws so this wont make any difference. Being taught to drive rather than pass a test might help. Or educating them on potential consequences (accidents) with or instead of the current punishments
Original post by Richard0328
they don't take heed of other driving laws so this wont make any difference. Being taught to drive rather than pass a test might help. Or educating them on potential consequences (accidents) with or instead of the current punishments

Maybe some might now. If it can stop one person, it's better than nothing.
Agreed though that being taught to drive should be not just for the test.
Potential consequences- don't people already know this? If not then they should be taught this too.
But with. Not without the current punishments.
they have a vague idea but they pay no attention to it. Instead of being told what to do and what not to do, explain why these rules are in place. People respond better when given reasons rather than orders.
Original post by SGHD26716
Something similar to this already exists. There is an app where you can report the registration number of a car which is parked illegally. You take a photo of the car and send it through via the app. You then get £10 for every car you report.

great ! it would be ironic if you did this whist driving and were busted :toofunny:
Original post by Richard0328
Instead of being told what to do and what not to do, explain why these rules are in place. People respond better when given reasons rather than orders.

There is loads of stuff available out there about the dangers of using a mobile phone while driving. The dangers have been well explained for years, since mobile phone use while driving first became illegal, and it should be incredibly obvious to everyone why the rules are in place. It's constantly mentioned by the police and has been the subject of campaigns. It'll even be mentioned with driving lessons and theory tests. Explaining the reasons for the rules obviously isn't doing enough.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending