Turn on thread page Beta

What is the Meaning of life watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snow_white)
    ollie!!! i don't know who you are mate but you stole my answer :eek: fancy that, i was only going to say 42 because it's what a mate of mine always says when i ask him. Pefect answer though, congratulations.
    and rock on Monty Python!!!! has anyone seen Search for the Holy Grail?
    snow_white. The answer '42' comes from The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. As does the Restaurant at the End of the Universe. *shrugs* Pretty good really.
    Person A - What is the meaning of life?
    Person B - 42.

ah well, it had a cult status, still does really, but usually with people around 35+

ReputationRep:
    I like to think that we are just a freak accident of evolution and that there is no meaning at all to our existence. Surely if we are all going to die life is not permanent so has no permanent meaning it only has meaning to other life. At least it means that no matter how much you mess your life up it doen't matter in the end so there is no point in caring.

ReputationRep:
    to search, but never find.

anything.

(like socks - you put a pair in the machine, only one comes out... what is the meaning of this?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El_Borish)
    to search, but never find.

anything.

(like socks - you put a pair in the machine, only one comes out... what is the meaning of this?)
    It means that somewhere in the great beyond, there are a bunch of lonely socks without partners

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    snow_white. The answer '42' comes from The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. As does the Restaurant at the End of the Universe. *shrugs* Pretty good really.
    Person A - What is the meaning of life?
    Person B - 42.

ah well, it had a cult status, still does really, but usually with people around 35+
    thankyou sire but i was already informed of the source of the answer, by you, several times silly. anyway still have never managed to actually see The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, maybe some day, look forward to it i can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moose_9_99)
    there has to be a reason why we are all here doesn't there. Or are we just takeing up oxygen?
    Depends on ur morals as a person or ur faith.
    My religion says we are put here on earth as a test and if we suceed and don't do bad and evil we will go to paradise in the hereafter. But being a human aswell as a teenager like every1 else i always forget the rules! Living in such a western world where tv and media is such a big frenzy we always seem to forget!

ReputationRep:
    it is simple. As alot of people have said, the meaning of life is 42.

and you will never understand the answer until u understand the question.

ReputationRep:
    and add to the fact that our "planet" was built to find out this question and it was ruined before it even got started.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    and you will never understand the answer until u understand the question.
    thats deep...thats very deep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    it's in the HHGTTG.
    oh, and I thought you thought of it first...you should ahve kept that quite

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    oh, and I thought you thought of it first...you should ahve kept that quite
    not really. if i had passed it off as my own, alot of Hitch Hikers fans would have said that it was in the book. Plus i am a fan myself and can not take creit for Douglases work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    not really. if i had passed it off as my own, alot of Hitch Hikers fans would have said that it was in the book. Plus i am a fan myself and can not take creit for Douglases work.
    true, true...

ReputationRep:
    It's quite simple and its nothing to do with getting laid. Well actually I suppose it is:

The truth is:

42... only joking

Our existence is truly pointless. Our needs for safety, food, sex etc make us think there must be a reason for us to exist. In fact why do you think we are religious? There has to be something to drive our needs to survive. Remember now people - if you're good you'll get into heaven!!
    Think about trying to program a robot to want something. How can you make a robot want something? It would take a complex program for making it believe there is a purpose for what it is doing and to achieve this it must want to plug itself into the battery charger everyday.

So since we started out as single celled organisms which were slightly better at surviving than the slightly smaller single celled organisms our nature for wanting to survive has become instinctive. But, if I die tomorrow who cares? There's loads of us.

What do people really achieve in their lives. Maybe you might solve the Navier-Stokes equation - something that has never been done. Marvellous. But really so what? It might seem like a great thing to have done but dont forget now your judgement is poor because you have billions of years of evolution making you think these things are important.

I enjoy being alive but I know I am only a complex collection of molecules that ae nicely ordered and that I perform an extrodinary function albeit a pointless one. This doesn't mean I cant exercise what gives me pleasure. Things seem fun to me. I enjoy sports. I enjoys making things which work. But come on now there is no big plan - this is just what happens when you have a planet with all the right chemicals on it, just the correct distance from a star and just the right size.

Amazing but pointless.

ReputationRep:
    has anyone ever had the strange experience you get when you repeat to yourself (whilst thinking it) 'i'm me, in this place now, in no other dimension, with these feelings'? sorry if that makes no sense, try it, it makes you feel really... outside of yourself (if you get me). it's always freaked me out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkegokane)
    has anyone ever had the strange experience you get when you repeat to yourself (whilst thinking it) 'i'm me, in this place now, in no other dimension, with these feelings'? sorry if that makes no sense, try it, it makes you feel really... outside of yourself (if you get me). it's always freaked me out.
    maybe you should cut out teh wacky baccy before you think such thoughts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkegokane)
    i'm being perfectly serious, and i've never touched drugs in my life. it's a really odd feeling, possibly akin to those 'out of body experiences' people talk of.
    hmm maybe, i sometimes get that when I think really deeply about life and why am I here. I also freaks me out. Thats why I dont normanlly think about it

ReputationRep:
    the whole meaning of life thing just makes me feel upset and annoyed, i hate not knowing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hattori)
    the whole meaning of life thing just makes me feel upset and annoyed, i hate not knowing.
    You'd know if you read my post. Its true!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moose_9_99)
    What is the Meaning of Life? Other than a movie by Monty Python, great movie but in all seriousness. If anyone has any ideas then put them down or just make up something. In my opinion the meaning of life is to live a happy life and that is all that matters. Peace!
    It is an intelligent question

Some people, like yourself, believe that happiness is the highest good and meaning of life. This is not to undervalue happiness of course! They believe that the satisfaction of our carnal desires and the possession of material goods in our short lifetime is the purpose of the existence of the human race on this planet and the presence of the Universe is solely to achieve that aim.

The universe is so vast and complex, there exists about 200 billion galaxies each containing 200 billion celestial bodies, we are like a grain of sand amidst the accumulation of all the beaches of the earth. Realising such a fact, we could even rationally deduce that their exists other civilisations out there in the universe. My point is that the Universe is huge and complex beyond the gasp of our imagination and everything contained within is also complex and creative and most important of all, serves a purpose! Everything in the universe strives to serve a purpose the best example is the human body! Most of us have studied biology and we cannot deny how creative our own bodies are, we are the most complex machines known to man. We are all aware of the harmony within the human body and how each component of this machine serves a purpose and has its own meaning for existing. However, the human body is just one aspect of the universe, which has a purpose of existence. We can extend this perspective to other parts of the universe, such as our own planet. We see that the same harmony exists between humans and plants in the carbon-oxygen respiration cycle, in the rain cycle and many other forms of harmony in nature, too many to list! Thus, we see that our own planet and its nature functions in a way that sustains the mankind therefore serving a purpose and having a meaning for its existence!

Moreover, when we examine the universe, it becomes evident that every component has a purpose to fulfil thus giving each one a meaning of its existence. Again, the human being, is at least, another complex individual system within this universe. In fact man is “the” most complex individual system known, because he has a consciousness, the power to reason and enquire about himself and his surroundings, seek his reasons for existence (as we are doing in this thread), he is also emotional and has many other immaterial aspects with regards to his nature. This being the case, is it correct or “logical” to relegate the purpose of mans existence and meaning of life to mere carnal, hedonist and 'temporary' enjoyment? Is it logical to say that the sophisticated and unimaginably vast universe or at least our own vast and complex planet strives and exists for the ultimate aim of giving humans 'temporary' enjoyment and happiness? What happens to man after his short life?

This is a hedonist explanation which does not answer mans noble enquiry “why Am I here” – it does not give us the meaning of life! It undervalues the human being and relegates him to the level of an animal, whose timetable is eat, sleep and mate! If this is indeed the purpose of life, then why must we bother striving for material goods, carnal satisfaction and short-lived happiness if we could die at any “unknown” moment and lose our life’s work and our material gains! No, I believe that the human being is a significant entity within the universe and has a higher reason for his existence, I believe in a ‘transcendent’ reality and meaning to life. I am unable to take my material goods with me but my deeds will always stay with me, because they are beyond matter. I believe that I am laying the seeds of my next life in this material life and that this explanation is indeed more superior and realistic to the hedonist one giving worth and value to the human being and his life!

ReputationRep:
    the meaing of life? hm well im gonna have my say...
    we live each day, we strive to find out that which is life.
    i think we are not supposed to know, we live we strive to find the meaning of life; and that in its self is a meaning.
    i could sit and ponder the meaning of life for years, for my whole life and then id die and never know because by sitting there id never have lived and thus wouldnt be able to figure out the answer.
    so i shall go about living and find the answer to being as i go and try not to worry to much about it

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.