The Student Room Group

Want to get into cambridge/imperial ... what should i do

I would love to go to Cambridge/ Imperial to do medicine at uni.
Is there anything I can do to make my application look really good?

I'm in year 12 atm so will be applying for unis in October for entry in 2018. I have 5a*s,5as and a b at gcse, I do maths, bio, chem and phys a a level. I'm predicted an a* in maths (I'm doing A2 this yr) and a's in bio, chem and phys in my AS internal exams.

obviously grades aren't everything so what else should I do in order to get into my desired uni. I RLLY want to work in a&e
Also can I have some advice on the BMAT pls? like, what scores do I need and how to prepare for it etc.
thanks! x
Reply 1
Original post by ishaniss

I'm in year 12 atm so will be applying for unis in October for entry in 2018. I have 5a*s,5as and a b at gcse, I do maths, bio, chem and phys a a level. I'm predicted an a* in maths (I'm doing A2 this yr) and a's in bio, chem and phys in my AS internal exams.

obviously grades aren't everything so what else should I do in order to get into my desired uni. I RLLY want to work in a&e
Also can I have some advice on the BMAT pls? like, what scores do I need and how to prepare for it etc.
thanks! x

First thing to consider, Cambridge requires A*A*A at A-level.

thanks! x

Ensuring you get the best possible grades is the main thing, particularly for Cambridge.

Prepare thoroughly for the BMAT.

Your work experience and voluntary work, and how you reflect on them in your personal statement, need to be up to scratch. More important for non-Oxbridge unis though.

I RLLY want to work in a&e

That'll soon change :wink:
Something to consider - if you're really into the practical and fast-paced side of medicine and want to start working asap, those unis might not be the best fit for you. They both have 6 year courses and esp Cambridge is very heavy on theory. At some unis you get to see patients and start practicing clinical skills from week 1, at Cambridge (afaik) you do almost nothing like that before your 4th year.

Grades are super important for Cambridge. If you decide to apply you should aim for A*A*A*A minimum. The BMAT is also important for both unis - 6, 6, 4A could be a good goal. The past papers you can find on the Admissions Testing Service website are really useful. Being quick at mental maths is key so maybe find ways to improve on that - for example, doing your science homework without a calculator can be a convenient way to get a mental maths workout. :smile:
Reply 4

thanks! x

other than having top grades and getting in your application early, here are a few things your application must demonstrate :
- a long-standing passion for medicine with clear examples, i.e. don't let them think you've only just decided you like medicine
- voluntary work or work experience (try to get it in this summer if you haven't already) in the field
- another kind of voluntary work or work experience, this is so important
- be a biology or chemistry prefect at school, or take on some other role in the science department at your sixth form/college
- apply for any of the cambridge summer schools (and imperial summer schools if they offer them)
- attend a medicine lecture/taster day at any university

make sure the personal statement is packed full of stuff that shows a love for medicine outside of the school environment and explain how each experience makes you the perfect candidate for their course.

research the course to know what kind of undergrads they're looking for.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending