OCR AS Critical Thinking: F501 & F502 - 18 & 26 May 2017 Watch

CopyThat
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey guys,

I'm not aware of many people that are actually taking the AS Critical Thinking exam this year but if you are i was wondering if you could give tips on how to revise.

I struggle mainly in the area where you have to:
-Make an assumption/reason of your own
-Assess weaknesses of arguments
-Assess credibility/plausibility

So basically the stuff in Paper 1 is what i struggle with the most.

If any of you have any tips on how to revise or get better at these skills or have any websites that would help, it would be greatly appreciated
TSR Jessica
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.

Just quoting in Danny Dorito so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:
Spoiler:
Show
(Original post by Danny Dorito)
x
marta99
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm taking the AS this year, and while I have struggled with revision at first, I would recommend these;

-make cue cards? especially to remember all of the flaws and weaknesses. For me knowing what they actually are is half the job in spotting them. They're very particular about how you assess a weakness. First you need to state it, and then explain how it actually weakens the argument? iirc, that's what I've been told.

-it's useful to look at the mark schemes, once you've looked at a few you realise there is a sort of formula to them! So it's just about familiarising yourself with how they want you to answer questions.

With credibility it's a lot easier if you make some sort of way for yourself to remember what all of the criteria are. Like CRAVEN - Corroboration, Reputation, Ability to Observe, Vested Interest, Expertise, and Neutrality/Bias. from there you can look at what you're assessing and decide whether any of them apply.

Also, if you used a kindle/have any software on your computer like calibre, I would be happy to send you some ebooks about Critical Thinking Just send me a message, and good luck with your revision, seems we will both need it with the exam being so close!
Fox Corner
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hiya! This is a nice exam thread - I've added it to the Exam Thread Directory 2017

If you see any other exam threads threads that aren't in the directory yet - let me know by either tagging me in, or linking it in the directory and I can add it in! You can also find discussions for your other exams there.

If any of your other exams aren't on there yet - feel free to make the exam thread for it yourself :excited:

Good luck in your exams :eek3:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (23)
12.11%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (16)
8.42%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (43)
22.63%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (28)
14.74%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (24)
12.63%
How can I be the best version of myself? (56)
29.47%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise