jasminejethwa
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
So i have gotten 8 offers and I've narrowed it down to Loughborough, UCA (canterbury) and Arts uni Bounemouth. Im thinking Loughborough because i love extra curricular and sports, but will i even get a chance to experience this or is an art foundation time consuming, also what would you pick? Bournemouth is by the beach thats quite nice and they have makeup which looks fun too.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jasminejethwa)
So i have gotten 8 offers and I've narrowed it down to Loughborough, UCA (canterbury) and Arts uni Bounemouth. Im thinking Loughborough because i love extra curricular and sports, but will i even get a chance to experience this or is an art foundation time consuming, also what would you pick? Bournemouth is by the beach thats quite nice and they have makeup which looks fun too.
Contact Loughborough and ask roughly how many days you'll be timetabled to attend the studios. I know for AUB (and most UAL based foundation diplomas) that attendance is for 3 full days a week (18 hours) which leaves you with quite a bit of free time - the Loughborough foundation is a BTEC course not the UAL course though so it might have a very different teaching/timetable set up.
hollycxo
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey, I am also considering the Art and Design foundation at Loughborough, the extra curriculum also attracted me, as well as the campus life etc. From what i understand there is a lot of work on the foundation but there always is with Art and Design courses. However, I think with most courses Loughborough have Wednesday as a half day, and of course you have the weekend so there should be plenty of time to do other things
MikeCrapBag
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The Art Foundation course at Loughborough requires you to attend the studio 4 days a week - Mon, Tues, Thurs and Fri. If you want to get yourself into extra curricular activities, there definitely is time although in my opinion, this is much easier to do if you already live nearby/apply to live in halls. However, the course is FE and no HE, you will not be granted a student loan to help with accommodation.
jasminejethwa
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by hollycxo)
Hey, I am also considering the Art and Design foundation at Loughborough, the extra curriculum also attracted me, as well as the campus life etc. From what i understand there is a lot of work on the foundation but there always is with Art and Design courses. However, I think with most courses Loughborough have Wednesday as a half day, and of course you have the weekend so there should be plenty of time to do other things
Oh that sounds lovely, where else are you thinking of applying?
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
My sister did her foundation at B'mouth (back when it was AUCB) and she hated it there. Like it served it's purpose and got her onto her Illustration and Animation course at ARU but... She commuted (~30 min train) while living at home, and I wouldn't recommend moving there for the course. Also as I understand the actual tutors weren't particularly stellar either.
hollycxo
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jasminejethwa)
Oh that sounds lovely, where else are you thinking of applying?
I applied to Plymouth college of art, leeds college of art, leeds uni, Loughborough and Nottingham Trent. But out of all of them I think I'm going to firm Loughborough
hollycxo
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by MikeCrapBag)
The Art Foundation course at Loughborough requires you to attend the studio 4 days a week - Mon, Tues, Thurs and Fri. If you want to get yourself into extra curricular activities, there definitely is time although in my opinion, this is much easier to do if you already live nearby/apply to live in halls. However, the course is FE and no HE, you will not be granted a student loan to help with accommodation.
So if I went to Loughborough to do the foundation I couldn't get a maintenance loan?! :/
MikeCrapBag
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
So if I went to Loughborough to do the foundation I couldn't get a maintenance loan?! :/
Unfortunately not and that's why many choose to do their foundation course at a local college. Depending on your household income, you may be able to grab yourself a bursary from the university itself although this will not cover the overall cost of accommodation as well as the cost of materials - your parents or yourself will most likely have to muster up some extra money if you choose to live in halls. Have you considered commuting to the uni or is that too far?
hollycxo
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Unfortunately not and that's why many choose to do their foundation course at a local college. Depending on your household income, you may be able to grab yourself a bursary from the university itself although this will not cover the overall cost of accommodation as well as the cost of materials - your parents or yourself will most likely have to muster up some extra money if you choose to live in halls. Have you considered commuting to the uni or is that too far?
Loughborough is like a two hour drive away so I can't commute everyday. And ghee is no local foundation courses since I live in like the middle of nowhere:/.. I can get a bursary from Loughborough itself but even with that it still leaves like £3,000 a year just for accommodation. This is super sucky news
MikeCrapBag
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Loughborough is like a two hour drive away so I can't commute everyday. And ghee is no local foundation courses since I live in like the middle of nowhere:/.. I can get a bursary from Loughborough itself but even with that it still leaves like £3,000 a year just for accommodation. This is super sucky news
It really is considering the cheapest accommodation at Loughborough is £3400 which is still incredibly cheap if you ask me. Perhaps you can do some research and consider living in a student house instead? This may be slightly cheaper. Or it may be worth contacting Loughborough to see what extra help you might be able to receive.
hollycxo
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It really is considering the cheapest accommodation at Loughborough is £3400 which is still incredibly cheap if you ask me. Perhaps you can do some research and consider living in a student house instead? This may be slightly cheaper. Or it may be worth contacting Loughborough to see what extra help you might be able to receive.
Thanks for the help! I think I'm just going to have to email Loughborough and see what else can do:/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (12)
7.19%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (28)
16.77%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (27)
16.17%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (24)
14.37%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (45)
26.95%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (31)
18.56%

Watched Threads