Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
High speed transport expansion Bill, DreamlinerFinder MP

A

BILL
TO

Make provision to fund high speed transportation.

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1- Expansion of transportation
(1)The High Speed Two Line is funded to be extended to Glasgow.
(2) The High Speed Two Line is allowed to tunnel through the Pennines.
(3) There is provision to extend this line to the city of Edinburgh
(4) This instructs the high speed line to be running at a maximum of 360km/h

2- Citation and commencement
1) This Act extends to the United Kingdom.
(2) The provisions of this Act come into force on Royal Assent
(3) This Act may be referred to as the High Speed Transportation Act 2017

Notes:

Spoiler:
Show

Definition:
High Speed Two- the high speed line connecting London and Manchester

I believe that we should expand the current HS2 plans and I believe that investing in infrastructure is key for the future of this nation. This project will cut journey times and help develop infrastructure beyond London as areas other than London such as the North have been left behind for far too long. The North-South divide has been damaging to the economy and this project adds to the work of the current HS2 plans. The North and Midlands will be gaining at least double the benefit of the south when HS2 is built and we believe that this project will extend these benefits to other places. The links to Scotland allow for them to have access to the High speed rail network, which they have not had before ( look at the sources for further information). HS2 has been estimated by a KPMG report, commissioned by the Department for Transport in 2013, to create £15 billion annually in increased economic output, with phase one estimated to deliver 40 per cent of this benefit (£6 billion per annum). I would expect a similar size project to do the same. The estimated cost for this plan would be around £82bn and is a similar to current line proposals. The trains would run at a maximum of 360 km/h and we have selected this limit due to the EU96/4/EC of the European Council and Commission which restricts the options on speed. The tunnel would cost around £2bn based off government tunnelling estimates.As this is a similar length to HS2 I would expect the benefits to be similar to HS2 so this project would at the very least :
1) Create 22,00 jobs in 5 years from the construction and 100,000 from the line
2) Provide an economic benefit that is approx 2.6 times the cost given
This project will provide economic benefits to areas which have been neglected for so long and they shall be neglected no longer.
Sources:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...ists-warn.html
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24159571
http://www.newgeography.com/content/...battle-britain
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...raded-benefits
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...raded-benefits
https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...lling_Costs.pd f (page 10 and some maths)
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ney-times.html
http://www.rail.co.uk/rail-news/2013...-for-scotland/
http://www.in-cumbria.com/North-West...d5133a6d10e-ds
http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/1...ineers_call_fo r_HS2_high_speed_rail_link_to_be _extended_to_Scotland/

Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Provisionally aye.
username2718212
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Aye.
DayneD89
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I would rather a high speed link went through Newcastle but I am biased as I live in Northumberland. Are railways nationalised on TSR these days? If not I'll be against this until they are.
CoffeeAndPolitics
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
First of all, I would like to be a tiny bit picky by saying that the formatting can be improved just a tad DreamlinerFinder. Secondly, I do support HS2 (High-Speed 2) as I can certainly see the economic benefits it provides. Point 1.1 is an interesting point you've made, proposing to extend the line to Glasgow, that will certainly help with the issue of the "North-South divide" but where the funding comes from is a potential issue. This is something that the Government needs to look into, in particular, the Transport Secretary, DMcGovern. Also, I share your concerns with the "North-South divide" and the need to improve infrastructure where needed of which is something, we as a Government need to address.
username2080673
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The cost far outweighs the benefit. It's just not that significant to people to get from London to Manchester or Birmingham and back a bit faster. I'd much rather see funds (which would most likely be a fraction of what would be spent on high speed two) go towards improving our current trains. I'm against the high speed project as it is, extending it only strengthens my opposition.

Nay.
PandaSal
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I totally agree with this, perhaps also make for the provision of extending Leeds to Newcastle then on to Edinburgh too rather than Birmingham to Manchester to Glasgow then Edinburgh.
username2585877
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
aye
CoffeeAndPolitics
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by DayneD89)
I would rather a high speed link went through Newcastle but I am biased as I live in Northumberland. Are railways nationalised on TSR these days? If not I'll be against this until they are.
The railways aren't nationalised in this present day in rl and nationalisation of things like the railway is only effective if it actually makes improvements to service etc. not just for the sake of it!
Quamquam123
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I am strongly against this I'm afraid. £82bn is a frightening amount of money for a non-essential project like this and I wouldn't be surprised if the final cost ended up being a lot higher.
DayneD89
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics)
The railways aren't nationalised in this present day in rl and nationalisation of things like the railway is only effective if it actually makes improvements to service etc. not just for the sake of it!
Not irl but if that's the same in our current law then I would oppose this for that reason alone. I'll support investment in infrastructure where that investment goes back into the public good, but not where it effectively just subserdises investments that should be made by private enterprise if that's where the profits will directly end up.

That said I may be against this anyway. I thought of my area of Northumberland. I live in a town of 40,000 where there are no train links at all, or where my parents live where there are two trains per day. The same investment in local services would help all the Northern towns I know a lot more than this would even if it went right through my region.
username2808800
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Quamquam123)
I am strongly against this I'm afraid. £82bn is a frightening amount of money for a non-essential project like this and I wouldn't be surprised if the final cost ended up being a lot higher.
Surprised seeing a leftist say this. Just a few more steps and you'll arrive to the bright side quam
CoffeeAndPolitics
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Not irl but if that's the same in our current law then I would oppose this for that reason alone. I'll support investment in infrastructure where that investment goes back into the public good, but not where it effectively just subserdises investments that should be made by private enterprise if that's where the profits will directly end up.

That said I may be against this anyway. I thought of my area of Northumberland. I live in a town of 40,000 where there are no train links at all, or where my parents live where there are two trains per day. The same investment in local services would help all the Northern towns I know a lot more than this would even if it went right through my region.
I don't think you understand but the majority of the MHoC bills relate to rl. I do understand your concerns about ensuring investment in infrastructure goes back into the public good but as I've said in the other post, I would only support nationalisation as a TSR Labour MP if it actually will make a vast difference to how things are running etc.

You've said you like in Northumberland and have a lack of train links; I'm just struggling to understand why you wouldn't compromise the idea of nationalisation of the railways to support HS2 as a means of improving transportation links and resolve the issue of the "North-South divide". Also, the current government does recognise the need to improve infrastructure and increase investment to areas that needs it most.
Mr T 999
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Aye

This will make traveling to the north or south alot easier.
DayneD89
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics)
I don't think you understand but the majority of the MHoC bills relate to rl. I do understand your concerns about ensuring investment in infrastructure goes back into the public good but as I've said in the other post, I would only support nationalisation as a TSR Labour MP if it actually will make a vast difference to how things are running etc.

You've said you like in Northumberland and have a lack of train links; I'm just struggling to understand why you wouldn't compromise the idea of nationalisation of the railways to support HS2 as a means of improving transportation links and resolve the issue of the "North-South divide". Also, the current government does recognise the need to improve infrastructure and increase investment to areas that needs it most.
At least when I was speaker of this house the laws we made here over wrote existing Rl law? Thus if one of the many nationalisation bills I've worked to pass has been repealed they should be nationalised in our make believe world.

We can have a debate on nationalisation another time as that isn't the aim of this bill but let's just go with the idea that nationalisation would improve the service end users receive.

If the railways are in private hands then it is their responsibility to improve the network. That's the tradeoff for selling those off, that we wouldn't have to keep paying for them while the new owners take the profits. In short they don't get to buy the profits but leave the public paying for the investments.
Connor27
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Aye.
Quamquam123
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
At least when I was speaker of this house the laws we made here over wrote existing Rl law? Thus if one of the many nationalisation bills I've worked to pass has been repealed they should be nationalised in our make believe world.

We can have a debate on nationalisation another time as that isn't the aim of this bill but let's just go with the idea that nationalisation would improve the service end users receive.

If the railways are in private hands then it is their responsibility to improve the network. That's the tradeoff for selling those off, that we wouldn't have to keep paying for them while the new owners take the profits. In short they don't get to buy the profits but leave the public paying for the investments.
There was a Great Repeal in August 2014 so that may have had an impact.
DayneD89
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Quamquam123)
There was a Great Repeal in August 2014 so that may have had an impact.
All the laws I knew are gone then. Anyone know if our railways are nationalised or not then? Is the wiki up to date? I'll go try to find out...
username2808800
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Connor27)
Aye.
really?
Quamquam123
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
All the laws I knew are gone then. Anyone know if our railways are nationalised or not then? Is the wiki up to date? I'll go try to find out...
I'm almost certain the railways are not nationalised but this bill extended the franchise I believe.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (150)
24.79%
Pop (146)
24.13%
Jazz (26)
4.3%
Classical (35)
5.79%
Hip-Hop (106)
17.52%