Beggar asked me to go to cash machine, was angry when I said no.

Watch
username2911200
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I live in central London and I was out shopping today. I was approached by a female beggar who asked me for money and I said I didn't have any cash on me (which was a lie), she then said, "No problem, there's a cash machine over there" and gestured to the nearest one. I still said no and she went on about how she had no money for food, no job and said, "Why don't you give me money? You have money, look at your shopping bags".

It felt quite intimidating that she was demanding I go to a cash point to give her money. Anything could have happened; I could have been jumped by her or someone else working with her at the cash machine and made to give out a lot of money. Do people actually go to cash machines with beggars and give them money? I never give beggars money anyway.
MrsSheldonCooper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Nope I never give a beggar cash. I always give them food or a water bottle instead.
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Glassapple)
I live in central London and I was out shopping today. I was approached by a female beggar who asked me for money and I said I didn't have any cash on me (which was a lie), she then said, "No problem, there's a cash machine over there" and gestured to the nearest one. I still said no and she went on about how she had no money for food, no job and said, "Why don't you give me money? You have money, look at your shopping bags".

It felt quite intimidating that she was demanding I go to a cash point to give her money. Anything could have happened; I could have been jumped by her or someone else working with her at the cash machine and made to give out a lot of money. Do people actually go to cash machines with beggars and give them money?
Anyone with any degree of sensibility would refuse.
Vvlpes
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Just walk past.
PandaSal
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

It felt quite intimidating that she was demanding I go to a cash point to give her money. Anything could have happened; I could have been jumped by her or someone else working with her at the cash machine and made to give out a lot of money. Do people actually go to cash machines with beggars and give them money?
Why didn't you ask what you'd get in return for your money as you like to see a return on all investments that you made. Would she use this money to get her life back on track or would she have offered sex or would she use the money for drugs?
ThePricklyOne
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

I've had that one too. I ignore them and walk away. If they follow me & continue to hassle me for money, I go into a shop (so their CCTV will pick up the beggar) and then call the fuzz.

I used live in London but this sh*t is happening in all major cities in the UK
UWS
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I only give them food or a hot drink. Sounds dodgy and desperate that she wanted you to go to a cash machine :erm:
TaintedLight
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
Nope I never give a beggar cash. I always give it food or a water bottle instead.
Well that's disappointing to hear. You are as nasty as 2015.
MrsSheldonCooper
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by TaintedLight)
Well that's disappointing to hear. You are as nasty as 2015.
That insult's even worse than you saying my eyebrows look like two slugs making out
INTit
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I believe the standard TSR response is to pull out a £20 then light it infront of them. Sorry thats Oxford.
jkls92
Report 3 years ago
No, how could you think that people usually go to cash machines with beggars :confused:?
Coup d'etat
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I don't give money either, I give them food. Most of them aren't really hungry and use the money to buy cigarettes.
999tigger
Report 3 years ago

It felt quite intimidating that she was demanding I go to a cash point to give her money. Anything could have happened; I could have been jumped by her or someone else working with her at the cash machine and made to give out a lot of money. Do people actually go to cash machines with beggars and give them money? I never give beggars money anyway.
Some people might be guilted or gullible enough to fall for this manipulative blackmail. You did right to say no. Not all beggars are like that. Just ignore and walk on. Might work on people who are easily intimidated.
li_n
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Nope I never give a beggar cash. I always give it food or a water bottle instead.
I can completely understand why you wouldn't give money to a beggar, however why you would refer to a beggar as an 'it' is beyond me. They are people,regardless of their place in society and they deserve to be seen as so, not dehumanized... You have no idea what so ever of their situation, so if you would, please try not to be so ignorant in the future.
username2269391
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Well you made the mistake of saying "I don't have any cash on me" when you should have said "I don't have any change" or better yet, just ignore them completely... I think when you mentioned cash, her eyes lit up and you made her think of a big payday lol
Anonymous #1
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Coup d'etat)
I don't give money either, I give them food. Most of them aren't really hungry and use the money to buy cigarettes.
Or drugs for all we know, they're have been countless muggings and fake beggars in the UK that nowadays, you can never be too wary. It's not cruel, it's insuring your safety and looking after yourself. If they refuse your food, they clearly can't be that desperate.
trustmeimlying1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
"it".
username2911200
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by usualsuspects)
No, how could you think that people usually go to cash machines with beggars :confused:?
I don't, that's my point. I don't understand why beggars think doing this will work.
Anonymous #1
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ThePricklyOne)
I've had that one too. I ignore them and walk away. If they follow me & continue to hassle me for money, I go into a shop (so their CCTV will pick up the beggar) and then call the fuzz.

I used live in London but this sh*t is happening in all major cities in the UK
Agree that happening in major cities for sure.. In Glasgow you cannot get from the train station without being approached by a beggar, often quite aggressively in my experiences. I offered them my water and a voucher for subway I had on me, but it might as well have been thrown back in my face. He was so offended... It can be really intimidating so everyone should be wary to an extent.
jkls92
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by INTit)
I believe the standard TSR response is to pull out a £20 then light it infront of them. Sorry thats Oxford.
Apparently, nearly everyone here gives them food, I'm with the "just walk past" party. I was harassed by one some time ago due to this strategy, he was relatively young, claimed to have no parents and just wouldn't let me go. He started commenting on my clothing and "privilege of having parents", then shouting, insulting and attacking me with proto-communist claims, to the point that some passers had to take him off me. I was quite daunted by the whole episode, which lasted a bit because he literally stopped me from walking away.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (53)
14.64%
Uncertainty around my education (63)
17.4%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (36)
9.94%
Isolating with family (24)
6.63%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (15)
4.14%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (26)
7.18%
Loneliness (34)
9.39%
Financial worries (12)
3.31%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (37)
10.22%
Exposure to negative news/social media (27)
7.46%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (35)
9.67%

Watched Threads