The Student Room Group

When immigration stops benefitting the UK, it should stop altogether - agree?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Martin Grainger
If you went from a nice estate where everyone could live in harmony , and everyone could speak a common language with not many foreigners, to a crime hotspot- where there are 300 hundred different languages spoke and you get funny looks for speaking English and for being white, AKA being intimidated by mass immigration, not healthy for society and prisons are full of these people, Sad! From what i said i have a reason to be skeptical

Donnie boy, is that you?
But immigration doesn't benefit the UK at all, does it? All it does is take jobs away from the natives and accelerate the erosion of traditional British culture. Immigration should have been completely halted a long, long time ago.
Weather it is financially better or worse for us, If we still decide mass immigration is the route, although i disagree with it, we should put bills through parliament so non British born citizens have to pay for health care and if they go in Prison they are deported at there own costs, society pays the big price of mass immigration being sneered at for being white and english in my area is not acceptable at one point when immigrants came on our estate the youth of there day (1980-1990's) teenagers would give them hell until they left, the police was also on our side

Whether not weather... Your grammar alone shows your lack of effort. People like you are pathetic. Always looking for scapegoats where ever you can find them. Work hard and you will be better off.
Original post by Piketty
Our education system is far better than the countries from which we're importing workers from. Gaining A*s and As with the teaching quality at even an average state school is very easy albeit requiring some motivation and dedication.

Then if its so great why do we come well down the literacy an mathematics rates?
Why do we have so many skill shortages?

But the UK has failed to make any substantial improvement - despite education ministers in England making the Pisa rankings an important measurement of progress.

In maths, the UK is ranked 27th, slipping down a place from three years ago, the lowest since it began participating in the Pisa tests in 2000

In reading, the UK is ranked 22nd, up from 23rd, having fallen out of the top 20 in 2006

The UK's most successful subject is science, up from 21st to 15th place - the highest placing since 2006, although the test score has declined

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-38212070

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/english-teenagers-are-the-most-illiterate-in-the-developed-world-report-reveals-a6841166.html
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 999tigger
What about skilled workers that businesses say they need?
If you put the block on then how will companies do without these key workers?

I noted you refused to condemn the anti semetism and racism earlier on.

The midlands gave had more than enough foreigners, with foreigners being the biggest group out of work here. Fair enough if they are bankers ir high paid jobs , but the last thing we need is more manual workers if europe an workers are so good why did my dad who works as a break press operator at the age of 58 with very poor health out preduce 3 polish men in there 20's when they was working on the same order, the director fired them for it consider the old man had a asthma related illness and was off for 3 days. Mass immigration is abysmal living standards for us are awful, the people who are pro immigration and freedom of of movement , rather ironically live in the whitest parts of the country. If you ask the nation if they agreed with unrestricted mass immigration the majority would say no and if you asked numbers of net immigration most people would say 0-50,000
The midlands gave had more than enough foreigners, with foreigners being the biggest group out of work here. Fair enough if they are bankers ir high paid jobs , but the last thing we need is more manual workers if europe an workers are so good why did my dad who works as a break press operator at the age of 58 with very poor health out preduce 3 polish men in there 20's when they was working on the same order, the director fired them for it consider the old man had a asthma related illness and was off for 3 days. Mass immigration is abysmal living standards for us are awful, the people who are pro immigration and freedom of of movement , rather ironically live in the whitest parts of the country. If you ask the nation if they agreed with unrestricted mass immigration the majority would say no and if you asked numbers of net immigration most people would say 0-50,000

Do you want to try that again in English. It is pretty unintelligible. Maybe bullet point it.

If you claim foreigners as you call them are the largest unemployed group, then it would eb a stringer claim if you backed it up.

If Polish people are so rubbish then you dont have anything to fear as they wont get jobs.
Original post by Fred5134
1) Would you be OK with other countries denying British citizens the ability to immigrate?
2) How would you plug giant shortage of nurses, healthcare assistants, etc, and all other jobs british people don't want to do?

Yes
No , I don't buy into that, most of our immigrant workers are very poor manual workers who get outperformed by old cogers, again the government could do more to improve standards or to add incentives for people who are interested or maybe Inot rested in doing a medical degree obviously if immigration and the population goes up GDP goes with it , but at what cost? A nhs which ends up being an international health convention for health tourists whom can not afford insurance in their native countries. A housing shoutage where immigration adds artificial demand for housing sending the price of housing through the roof, making it harder for English born citizens to purchase houses because the deposits are relatively high when compared with the average annual salary of a working class man (I define anything from 0-25k ) obviously we will need to import staff to work in the nhs at current, but our government need to do more mass immigration has more problems than solutions, by quite a distance
Do you want to try that again in English. It is pretty unintelligible. Maybe bullet point it.

If you claim foreigners as you call them are the largest unemployed group, then it would eb a stringer claim if you backed it up.

If Polish people are so rubbish then you dont have anything to fear as they wont get jobs.

I do not want them looting the local shops catching and eating fish out of our stagnant waters. Out of the people I know with businesses in tipton my area, none hire foreign workers we are all nationalit's here
I do not want them looting the local shops catching and eating fish out of our stagnant waters. Out of the people I know with businesses in tipton my area, none hire foreign workers we are all nationalit's here

What does that mean? Just whites or just people with a foreign passport?

How many instances of there have been of looting local shops?
Yes
No , I don't buy into that, most of our immigrant workers are very poor manual workers who get outperformed by old cogers, again the government could do more to improve standards or to add incentives for people who are interested or maybe Inot rested in doing a medical degree obviously if immigration and the population goes up GDP goes with it , but at what cost? A nhs which ends up being an international health convention for health tourists whom can not afford insurance in their native countries. A housing shoutage where immigration adds artificial demand for housing sending the price of housing through the roof, making it harder for English born citizens to purchase houses because the deposits are relatively high when compared with the average annual salary of a working class man (I define anything from 0-25k ) obviously we will need to import staff to work in the nhs at current, but our government need to do more mass immigration has more problems than solutions, by quite a distance

There's a housing shortage because successive governments have stopped building council houses. The private sector won't increase the supply because it's in their interest to keep prices high.

The graph on this link shows how local authority building has nosedived over 40 years.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/02/22/no-end-sight-britains-housing-crisis-warns-brussels/

1969-70: 135k built.

1999-00: 60 built. I mean 60 not 60k.

But yeah keep blaming "immigrunts" instead of the people who've actually caused the problem.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by JamesN88
There's a housing shortage because successive governments have stopped building council houses. The private sector won't increase the supply because it's in their interest to keep prices high.

The graph on this link shows how local authority building has nosedived over 40 years.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/02/22/no-end-sight-britains-housing-crisis-warns-brussels/

But yeah keep blaming "immigrunts" instead of the people who've actually caused the problem.

The fundamental is can we build a house in 5 minutes, that's how long we have got to build a house to keep up with immigration
What does that mean? Just whites or just people with a foreign passport?

How many instances of there have been of looting local shops?

Quite a few, it's alright for the SJW middle class to only think of the benefits but there are many negative impacts. I was referring to eastern Europeans if you read the whole thread you would know that

There's no point trying to have a logical debate with this guy. Earlier he said that in the national crime stats "the foreigners was well on top"
Original post by walkonby
There's no point trying to have a logical debate with this guy. Earlier he said that in the national crime stats "the foreigners was well on top"

The foreigners are well on top if you actually looked into this you would know that much. If you look at the PDF on the office for national statistics( I will edit this post when I am back on my pc with the link) Black people are over represented in jails when compared with the percentage of blacks in the country and they are in front of whites by a long long distance.

In terms of housing its a two way thing there is too much demand which is partly due to the artificial increase in the population( immigration) increases the demand for housing by 330,000. I would have no problem with building the houses but we would not have enough time to build them all in a year and here is why

330,000(Immigration) ÷2.2 ( average number of people living in a house) =150,000 houses need to be built a year just to keep up with immigration.

So 150,000 houses are needed per year.
150,000÷365=411 houses need to be built per day- this may seem realistic looking at it on a daily basis, but lets go down to a hourly basis 411÷ 24= 17 houses need to be built every calendar hour of the year this goes down to about 1 house being built every 4 minutes.

That is not realistic because builders do not work every day and every hour of the year, but yet the doogooders think it is nothing to do with immigration, also i should mention what about when we run out of space to build on ? The government are not willing to build houses as they are keeping housing prices very high, so guess what a lot of people have to rent their houses from local authorities-monies then go back to the national government, no wonder they do not build houses!.

In my opinion to keep up with immigration plus the demand we already have 400,000 houses need to be built per anum , which is around a house a minute-totally unrealistic and would cost a lot of money during austerity times where the government do not want to spend money. If you do not believe immigration has anything to do with it after i have posted in depth explaning why i will end the debate
The foreigners are well on top if you actually looked into this you would know that much. If you look at the PDF on the office for national statistics( I will edit this post when I am back on my pc with the link) Black people are over represented in jails when compared with the percentage of blacks in the country and they are in front of whites by a long long distance.

In terms of housing its a two way thing there is too much demand which is partly due to the artificial increase in the population( immigration) increases the demand for housing by 330,000. I would have no problem with building the houses but we would not have enough time to build them all in a year and here is why

330,000(Immigration) ÷2.2 ( average number of people living in a house) =150,000 houses need to be built a year just to keep up with immigration.

So 150,000 houses are needed per year.
150,000÷365=411 houses need to be built per day- this may seem realistic looking at it on a daily basis, but lets go down to a hourly basis 411÷ 24= 17 houses need to be built every calendar hour of the year this goes down to about 1 house being built every 4 minutes.

That is not realistic because builders do not work every day and every hour of the year, but yet the doogooders think it is nothing to do with immigration, also i should mention what about when we run out of space to build on ? The government are not willing to build houses as they are keeping housing prices very high, so guess what a lot of people have to rent their houses from local authorities-monies then go back to the national government, no wonder they do not build houses!.

In my opinion to keep up with immigration plus the demand we already have 400,000 houses need to be built per anum , which is around a house a minute-totally unrealistic and would cost a lot of money during austerity times where the government do not want to spend money. If you do not believe immigration has anything to do with it after i have posted in depth explaning why i will end the debate

Lol, are you for real? The government aren't building more because they're creaming rent off their existing stock?

Yes immigration is a factor but it's not the be all and end all. The numbers you're quoting have been achieved before in the 1950's, it's just down to a lack of political will to do it.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/business/2016/nov/20/britains-housing-crisis-must-be-tackled-now

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/tories-refused-to-build-social-housing-because-it-would-create-labour-voters-nick-clegg-says-a7223796.html%3Famp

Now would be the perfect time for the government to build, thanks to low interest rates it's never been cheaper to borrow money.

There's also plenty of land.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18623096
Lol, are you for real? The government aren't building more because they're creaming rent off their existing stock?

Yes immigration is a factor but it's not the be all and end all. The numbers you're quoting have been achieved before in the 1950's, it's just down to a lack of political will to do it.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/business/2016/nov/20/britains-housing-crisis-must-be-tackled-now

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/tories-refused-to-build-social-housing-because-it-would-create-labour-voters-nick-clegg-says-a7223796.html%3Famp

Now would be the perfect time for the government to build, thanks to low interest rates it's never been cheaper to borrow money.

There's also plenty of land.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18623096

You have failed to address how we can build a house every 4 minutes. Its practically impossible, thats like me saying im going for a **** and by the time i come back i want the builders to complete a house. The 1950s was different we was rebuilding after WW2, if everyone was to buy there homes from the local authorities i assure you more homes would be built. Going slightly off topic i am proud of my authority for the following

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/34616404
Skilled immigrants with good English, western mentality and no large extended families are fine
You have failed to address how we can build a house every 4 minutes. Its practically impossible, thats like me saying im going for a **** and by the time i come back i want the builders to complete a house. The 1950s was different we was rebuilding after WW2,

I haven't failed to address anything. I've pointed out that what you claim to be impossible was done c60 years ago.

if everyone was to buy there homes from the local authorities i assure you more homes would be built.

This sounds like it's from a parallel universe, (almost) everyone did buy their homes from the local authorities, that's the point. They were sold off in the 80's and 90's without being replaced leading to the crisis we have today.

Going slightly off topic i am proud of my authority for the following

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/34616404

Unfortunate but necessary if there's already 6000 people on the waiting list.
(edited 7 years ago)
I haven't failed to address anything. I've pointed out that what you claim to be impossible was done c60 years ago.

This sounds like it's from a parallel universe, (almost) everyone did buy their homes from the local authorities, that's the point. They were sold off in the 80's and 90's without being replaced leading to the crisis we have today.

Unfortunate but necessary if there's already 6000 people on the waiting list.

Not everyone did the middle class did but not all the true working class could afford it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending