valdokarina
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Well it is just the question above, can I? If I have work experience and take the exam you need for it to gain the qualification? Or is it better to have an accounting and management degree from lets say Queen Mary?
Advertisement
AmeliaLost
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Big accountancy firms run grad schemes that you can get into with any good degree, so if you want to study history then go for it. Accountancy degrees are a bit of a waste of time tbh; Economics is a better option if you want to study 'applied maths'.
jam276
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by AmeliaLost)
Big accountancy firms run grad schemes that you can get into with any good degree, so if you want to study history then go for it. Accountancy degrees are a bit of a waste of time tbh; Economics is a better option if you want to study 'applied maths'.
Not really, you can come out of uni half qualified if you've got exemptions
Advertisement
oShahpo
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I know a Tech Analyst who did Celtic Studies..
Everything is possible.
AmeliaLost
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by jam276)
Not really, you can come out of uni half qualified if you've got exemptions
Doing the chartered qualifications isn't a horrible amount of work though, and if you get into a good company they'll pay for your studies and give you study leave etc anyway.

Ed: just for clarity I work in accountancy
Advertisement
valdokarina
Rep:
?
Oh I see, would you say history is a good degree?
valdokarina
Rep:
?
Doing the chartered qualifications isn't a horrible amount of work though, and if you get into a good company they'll pay for your studies and give you study leave etc anyway.

Since you work in accountancy would you say I will be ok with a history degree if I get an internship with a firm to pursue accountancy
Advertisement
jam276
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

So do I. I just took exception to you saying accounting qualifications are a waste of time, they're not absolutely necessary and all degree disciplines are welcome but it's a bit of a stretch to then say they're "a bit useless".

Fwiw, 2 of the partners based in my office did History at uni OP.
AmeliaLost
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by valdokarina)
Since you work in accountancy would you say I will be ok with a history degree if I get an internship with a firm to pursue accountancy
Yeah without a doubt. History is a very solid and respected degree! Get some work experience, a 2:1 or better and get yourself on a grad scheme at the end
Advertisement
username3037548
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by valdokarina)
Well it is just the question above, can I? If I have work experience and take the exam you need for it to gain the qualification? Or is it better to have an accounting and management degree from lets say Queen Mary?
History is a respected degree, it can get you into many jobs including accounting. I'd just recommend you getting your 'why accountancy' answer ready as a lot of companies will ask and also try gain some experience within the field.

If you have time or motivation, start getting your head around what balance sheets/income statements/cashflow statement, depreciation and stuff are.
MJlover
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
History is such a great qualification to have and a really respected subject in the UK. History strengthens your analytical and critical skills, so that helps if you want to go into accountancy, also history is a broad academic subject that incorporates and enhances other disciplines, for example you can study political, economic or international history so it opens doors to a lot of professions.
Advertisement
AmeliaLost
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by jam276)
So do I. I just took exception to you saying accounting qualifications are a waste of time, they're not absolutely necessary and all degree disciplines are welcome but it's a bit of a stretch to then say they're "a bit useless".

Fwiw, 2 of the partners based in my office did History at uni OP.
I confused you with OP tbh, wasn't reading names properly (why am I still awake). I was more alluding to History being a stronger degree than accountancy degrees traditionally tend to be. Not that you can't do well on them, but I think uni is a good place to explore other interests; it doesn't have to be vocational. I know plenty of people who've done all sorts of degrees (or none at all, excepting obviously their voc. quals.) and work in various accounting/finance functions.

Accountancy is a bit of a weird industry in that you can just learn on the job despite it being a 'professional' career; you don't need to have a BA in accounting to be an accountant!
maroumarou
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You don't need a degree in a specific subject, just the chartered accountancy exams after uni in order to qualify, but these are pretty challenging
Advertisement
username775001
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Accounting degrees are just a scam. Better off studying for a professional qualification like ACCA. Might even be lucky enough to find an employer willing to sponsor you.
valdokarina
Rep:
?
(Original post by ozilll)
History is a respected degree, it can get you into many jobs including accounting. I'd just recommend you getting your 'why accountancy' answer ready as a lot of companies will ask and also try gain some experience within the field.

If you have time or motivation, start getting your head around what balance sheets/income statements/cashflow statement, depreciation and stuff are.
I see, thank youuu
valdokarina
Rep:
?
Yeah without a doubt. History is a very solid and respected degree! Get some work experience, a 2:1 or better and get yourself on a grad scheme at the end
Oh ok, thanks for the help
mayalily
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I'm in the same boat now as an A-level student, I can't decide whether to do history which I enjoy or go for accountancy even though I am unsure but think I would enjoy accountancy. I know it is 3 years after but did you do a history degree?
Advertisement
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (411)
56.3%
I don't have everything I need (319)
43.7%

Watched Threads