The Student Room Group
Robotics at Plymouth University
University of Plymouth
Plymouth
Visit website

My honest opinions on Plymouth University

Scroll to see replies

Hun, having started at plym this year I seem to have had a different experience. The uni is way more diverse than where I come from in Surrey. I threw my self into the deep end and joined several societies and clubs. And although there are deffo some creepy people that make you wonder how they made it this far in Life, you are bound to get that at any uni. Most of my friends come from the club's and I've created several different uni families within the club's. If your just looking at the social side, it is what you make It. If you don't have any freinds on your course then look at the society for your course and maybe you can make freinds with people in the other years.
Robotics at Plymouth University
University of Plymouth
Plymouth
Visit website
Original post by GinaSK
This has been useful but also kind of upsetting lol. I have been accepted into higher ranked unis like bath, manchester, surrey etc but was still considering plymouth because I fell in love with everything. I'm from overseas so I can't visit but it looked great. I love being social, going to pubs, watching rugby etc. Should I rather go elsewhere?

I am a graduate from Plymouth Uni & currently run a student laundry service for Plymouth University students (Unicycle Laundry :biggrin: Check us out! ). Plymouth is as sociable as you make it. It has many options for live music, restaurants and pubs, alongside a music festival in the Summer on the Hoe/Barbican. We have witnessed a huge rise in international students in the last 2/3 years alongside many new private halls of residence being built to cater for incoming students...that has to be a positive, right?
Hello i am currently trying to decide between plymouth and chester with biology and animal behavior ,do you have some insight about the biology course ? :smile:
I want to go to Plymouth University and I have researched everything and I love it but I am Black and I would like to go to a Uni with other black people so it would be easier to relate to them. Are there any black people attending this University?
Original post by Emmanuellaa
I want to go to Plymouth University and I have researched everything and I love it but I am Black and I would like to go to a Uni with other black people so it would be easier to relate to them. Are there any black people attending this University?

Hi Emmanuella,

We have people of all nationalities and ethnicities attend the University, please be assured! :smile:

Check out James, the face of our student campaign - https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/student-life/james-story . He blogs for us and gets up to so much around Plymouth and the University! He hasn’t been hindered at all here, so it may be worth reading his story: http://www.mylifewithplym.com/jamesn-blog .

We also have more bloggers over on the general site, http://www.mylifewithplym.com/undergraduate/ .

Whilst the area may not be as diverse as larger cities such as London, we do have a mix of people in Plymouth for sure. I graduated from Plymouth in 2018 and I met people of all different races and nationalities. I myself am half Turkish, so it was cool to be around people who also had origins in different countries. There are loads of societies and clubs where you can meet people, so it may be worth a look! Here’s the website: https://www.upsu.com/societies/browse/ .

I hope this reassures you let me know if you have any further questions! :smile:

- Seren, University of Plymouth Student Rep
**** uni do not come here
Original post by Emmanuellaa

Why the **** would you stick to the race you are? I'm a white mixed race kid, if anything it's harder for me to find my crowd of 'racially similar' looking people. And I just befriend anyone and everyone, cos I don't care what someone looks like, if they're nice to me I am nice to them.

Just befriend anyone, don't look for someone's friendship just because they're black. That's ironically racist.
Original post by lacey2222
I started Plymouth University this September (2016) really hopeful and excited for a fresh start and a great education! Along the way I have had some ups and downs and so I thought I would write them here as they may help other students who wish to choose this University.

I chose Plymouth as the thought of living in an "Ocean City" really appealed to me - I was excited to live by the beach... However, there is no beach here. I'm not sure where the nearest one is but it involves some travelling to get to.

Anyway, that aside, I was hopeful to make lots of new friends here as I am an outgoing person, but that also fell through. I was put with flatmates that I had no chemistry with and the people I spoke to on my course were... kinda weird! (Sorry guys)! I did end up making a few really good friends though but they agreed that the other people on our course were a little strange and were not much fun to speak to! :frown:

Plymouth University is good because it is very close to Drakes Circus, a nice shopping outlet with a variety of stores and restaurants.

As for the nightlife, I'm not really an expert on this but the times I have been out it hasn't been too good. The music they play here is very cheesy for want of a better word. There's not a lot of variety.

The university is not very multicultural, which is a shame. I am from a very large multicultural city, so coming to a predominantly white smaller city university was a big transition for me - and I didn't really like it! I found this to be a big factor in having trouble finding like minded people to myself. The people here are very different to the ones in my city - and also there weren't that many people from my city here either.

I had some problems with my accommodation and the residence team were not very helpful for me. My one friend also had similar problems with residence. So it would just be best to avoid them if you can haha.

My course is quite good. There are lots of variety in the modules and different academic tasks for each one. For example, in one module we had to write an essay and produce a note book, another one we had a group task to create a short text book, another we had to produce a powerpoint presentation and do an exam etc.

Overall Plymouth University is ok - many people I know love it, others hate it! I for one find it to be too far away from my own city and I just have trouble settling in here.

If you have any questions please ask!

I applied to Plymouth and was worried about the diversity as I’m brown hijabi and is really hoping to find friends like myself. Do u think there’s a lack of hijabis in Plymouth ?
Original post by Qwer7869
I applied to Plymouth and was worried about the diversity as I’m brown hijabi and is really hoping to find friends like myself. Do u think there’s a lack of hijabis in Plymouth ?

Definitely a niche but there's also a lot of people from these backgrounds/cultures/religions if you know where to look! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending