username775001
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm on placement right now away from my uni. I don't have any real friends where I am currently living and have quite a lot of free time. In a few weeks my uni releases the module synopsises for next semester. It gives an outline of the topics and the core text book. I go into final year with on 61% and was wondering if I started learning the material before classes started whether this would be beneficial or will I end up burnt out or sick of it during the semester?
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Dominoes)
I'm on placement right now away from my uni. I don't have any real friends where I am currently living and have quite a lot of free time. In a few weeks my uni releases the module synopsises for next semester. It gives an outline of the topics and the core text book. I go into final year with on 61% and was wondering if I started learning the material before classes started whether this would be beneficial or will I end up burnt out or sick of it during the semester?
That will completely depend on you as a person, how you feel by the time you start your next semester and what else happens in your life. We have no way of knowing.

I would suggest giving yourself a week of studying in the way that suits you and see what happens. If you get on OK, maybe take a week off and do another week, then keep going on like that for as long as it feels comfortable. You need some kind of break or breaks in order to stay fresh, but if you're getting bored and worried about your grades, that might be more stressful than not studying in your free time at all. Give yourself permission to stop anytime you want to though. You're on a placement and the idea is that you focus on that. Make sure you're getting the full benefit from it as it's going to be a major plus on your CV.

TLDR: Try it and see what happens, but don't overdo it and remember that it's OK to stop.
JustGeorgeJ
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hello,

I'd say it's worth looking at the material and getting a head start on what you could possibly learning but I wouldn't push yourself hard. You're going to have a lot of work to do anyway once your lectures start again - therefore, if you'd already read up on the material, at least you'll be prepared but don't go too far - if you attempt to learn everything yourself and go too far, it may be harder to learn the material in lectures if they deliver it a different way!

However, as the previous poster said, it's down to you as a person!
mollyanne98
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Hi,

This depends on how much you can cope with. If you are bored in your free time, by all means do some extra studying but make sure it doesn’t turn into you forcing yourself to do extra study every day. This would just cause you to become run down and not perform as well later on in the year.

Hope this is helpful,

Molly
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (62)
15.09%
I'm not sure (14)
3.41%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (140)
34.06%
I have already dropped out (6)
1.46%
I'm not a current university student (189)
45.99%

Watched Threads