The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The answer is C/65=x^4

....I have no idea what that means. I'm a geography graduate, hehe.

If you can't work it out, don't worry about it - they don't expect you to get them all. And I would recommend not using TSR to get answers to work as it's not "proper conduct" really - wait until you get to Durham and ask your newfound Chemistry buddies :smile:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
It's 42, of course. :p:
Reply 3
pac
OP
sorry there mate i think i might have mislead you. I'm doing the chemistry pre-university guide, and the answer you've given looks like a maths solution from the maths workbook. stupid me. :s-smilie:
Reply 4
pac
OP
oh well.
Reply 5
I thought dobbs was just making up an answer that sounded right, he fooled me at least.

I'd go with 42
Reply 6
Erm, I was just making up an answer that sounded fancy lol, sorry I thought I made it quite clear that I was a GEOGRAPHER, hehe :biggrin: But it was nice to be thought of as being a clever mathematician :p:

As I then said, don't worry if you can't get it for the pre-uni stuff, just crack on with the other questions and leave that one - don't worry, it's not like school anymore where if you miss a question you'll get detention or anything. You just say to the lecturer "I'm sorry I just didn't know how to do that one" and they'll be like "Okie dokie, well let's run through it" rather than being all angry!

Anywho, as I say, check it out with your new chemistry mates when you arrive in Durham :smile:
42 is always the answer. I have life, the universe and everything on my side.

Okay, so I just wanted to drop Douglas Adams references. It'll probably fine if you miss one.
Reply 8
the thing is we don't know what the question is to this chemistry thing, so the answer most definetly is 42!

(I got the trilogy of four a couple of months ago, I'm on the 3rd book now)
Reply 9
pac
OP
i see. No worries then.
Reply 10
pac
For anyone that has the workbook. I cannot do question C2, and i should be solving it quite quickly the handout says. oh dear. Can anyone tell me the answer (correct preferably) so i can work backwards. Thanks

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who can't do this question :redface:
But yeah, no clue as to what the answer is, sorry ^^;;
Reply 11
TM Millie
I'm so glad I'm not the only one who can't do this question :redface:
But yeah, no clue as to what the answer is, sorry ^^;;

What is the question?

(If it's possible to type out without needing diagrams and such)
The question is:

Two hydrides A and B of element X contain 17.76% and 12.58% by mass of hydrogen. Identify A dn B and comment on their structures.

I thought I could see how to easily do this, but I was mistaken.

Oh, and don't listen to the handout when it says you should be able to do it quickly and easily - it also says it's GCSE/A-level level. It is so not. Nothing in that booklet is, really, I don't think!
Reply 13
and that's the question to the Life, the Universe and Everything?
bah I was happy just knowing the answer was 42.
Reply 14
I know how to do it, but I hate Chemistry and have a really bad cold.

Just remember the definition of a hydride and then use your abilities in maths to work out the ratio of hydrogen atoms to the other atoms of the hydride. You can then google the names for the structures, because frankly... you don't even really need to do this work, but if you're enjoying yourselves... why not?

Let me know if you get the answer, if not I'll do it tonight.
Reply 15
pac
OP
i think i have the answer; read too much into it. Thought about whether it was to do with isotopes or not, and clearly it's not. It would have saved me alot of time had the answers been given like the maths workbook. I'll give some pointers for anyone who's interested though the chances are you don't care anymore or you've given up or more likely you've already solved it.
Reply 16
Hurrah!!

In Chemistry it is easy to overthink things. You must never think isotope until you read it on the page, or see a strong suggestion to the usage of isotopic masses in calculation.

I ****ing hate Chemistry, but not as much as Physics. Disgusting.
Reply 17
pac
OP
To me physics is mindbogglingly hard. I found AS physics tough going. It probably says alot about myself rather than Physics as such.

I think most of the questions thrown in that chem guide are ok, some are bloody tedious and there are a few that are simply killers.

Also, I don't see how they can expect us to read a chapter on a chemistry book that isn't even on the recommended list to buy. If i was to do some background reading, which is highly unlikely anyway, where do they think am i to get these books from. And if they are not so serious about this, then why bother telling us to read such and such :rolleyes:
pac
To me physics is mindbogglingly hard. I found AS physics tough going. It probably says alot about myself rather than Physics as such.

I think most of the questions thrown in that chem guide are ok, some are bloody tedious and there are a few that are simply killers.

Also, I don't see how they can expect us to read a chapter on a chemistry book that isn't even on the recommended list to buy. If i was to do some background reading, which is highly unlikely anyway, where do they think am i to get these books from. And if they are not so serious about this, then why bother telling us to read such and such :rolleyes:

Having taken a gap year and only recently started to skim over the entirity of my Chemistry A-Level notes, I can say I get a few of the questions, and don't even know what some of them are talking about!
I'm finding it easier than expected to pick Chemistry back up, but I'm just hoping they won't throw us in at the deep-end this term.
I won't be buying the recommended books until I get into Durham either. I'm relying on relearning the previous 2 years of work as opposed to attempting to read up on the forthcoming topics, I just want to get there now, the anticipation is killing me!

Hihi Pac! I'm Saul xD
Reply 19
pac
OP
NilDesperandum
Having taken a gap year and only recently started to skim over the entirity of my Chemistry A-Level notes, I can say I get a few of the questions, and don't even know what some of them are talking about!
I'm finding it easier than expected to pick Chemistry back up, but I'm just hoping they won't throw us in at the deep-end this term.
I won't be buying the recommended books until I get into Durham either. I'm relying on relearning the previous 2 years of work as opposed to attempting to read up on the forthcoming topics, I just want to get there now, the anticipation is killing me!

Hihi Pac! I'm Saul xD

Yes i am gap year student too lol. You've got me really worried about relearning the whole A-level thing. :s-smilie: There are only a few days left. Oh wait what the hell am i doing on TSR with a few days left. Ah the loser in me :redface: Look forward to seeing you there Saul.

Latest