Edinburgh Computer Science offers 2017 Watch

jmreyero
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello! I am an EU IB student that applied for Edinburgh for Computer Science and Mathemarics... Anyone heard anythint yet?

I have 44 points predicted in IB with 776 HL and so far have gotten rejections from all universities, Edinburgh is basically my only choice left so I am really looking forward to their reply

Has anyone gotten any offers for CompSci?
geoKar
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I am waiting from Edinburgh as well.

I think that they look into details on each application. It's not easy to make a decision between multiple applications for very few places left. I applied for software engineering with management.
jmreyero
Rep:
?
(Original post by geo 14323)
I am waiting from Edinburgh as well.

I think that they look into details on each application. It's not easy to make a decision between multiple applications for very few places left. I applied for software engineering with management.
Nice! Let's see if these offers start coming soon... Best of luck with your application!
SionedJs
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey guys,
I got my offer for computer science at Edinburgh back in December, however I may have had a very quick reply since I already have my A-level grades.
Anyone else definitely heading to Edinburgh for CompSci in Sept?
jmreyero
Rep:
?
(Original post by SionedJs)
Hey guys,
I got my offer for computer science at Edinburgh back in December, however I may have had a very quick reply since I already have my A-level grades.
Congrats for your offer! It would make sense that they take longer for us as we are applying with predicted grades...
geoKar
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey guys,
That reveals everything! (joking)

If I get an offer, I will definitely study at Edinburgh
geoKar
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by jmreyero)
Nice! Let's see if these offers start coming soon... Best of luck with your application!
Thank you. However, am not sure if Edinburgh considers your course different as mine.
Rosac
Report 2 years ago
Just got rejected for BSc (Hons) Computer Science and Management Science (I'm EU student)
jRaj
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey guys,
Almost definitely heading to Edinburgh for CS.
kristen1999:)
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey guys,
hi there, could i ask what is you A level grades if you don't mind?
I got rejected last week(
SayoniRoy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Firmed my offer for Computer Science Bsc I am from India.
navip
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I've firmed my offer for Mathematics and CS
higuk999
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I got an offer for Electronic engineering and computer science about a month ago
JP298
Badges: 11
Report 2 years ago
That's great for those of you that have decided to come here. I'm in first year at the moment and I would recommend preparing yourself for the Maths courses, specially Linear algebra in first semester because it will be unlike anything you've encountered at school. It's a great course and I strongly recommend you join CompSoc and MathSoc when you come. You'll love it!
rikkachan
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by JP298)
That's great for those of you that have decided to come here. I'm in first year at the moment and I would recommend preparing yourself for the Maths courses, specially Linear algebra in first semester because it will be unlike anything you've encountered at school. It's a great course and I strongly recommend you join CompSoc and MathSoc when you come. You'll love it!
Hi there, I got an unconditional offer frm UoE for BSc Artificial Intelligence. I believe the first 2 years I'll be taking common informatics and mathematics modules with everyone else. I'm wondering if the maths classes are helpful by the 3rd and 4th year of the degree. Because for BSc A.I. by the 3rd/4th year, there's no more maths classes - looks like they're not even needed- hence I thought wouldn't it be quite wasteful to learn difficult maths at the beginning then?

Comparing English BSc Artificial Intelligence degrees (e.g. Sheffield , Birmingham ), there's not a single maths module throughout the 3 years.

Comparing UoEdinburgh, Birmingham, Sheffield:

[http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/internal/pr.../0144/years/1]
[http://www.dcs.shef.ac.uk/intranet/t...33.1484300327]
[http://www.drps.ed.ac.uk/17-18/dpt/utaintl.htm]

Really appreciate if you have any input.
JP298
Badges: 11
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by rikkachan)
Hi there, I got an unconditional offer frm UoE for BSc Artificial Intelligence. I believe the first 2 years I'll be taking common informatics and mathematics modules with everyone else. I'm wondering if the maths classes are helpful by the 3rd and 4th year of the degree. Because for BSc A.I. by the 3rd/4th year, there's no more maths classes - looks like they're not even needed- hence I thought wouldn't it be quite wasteful to learn difficult maths at the beginning then?

Comparing English BSc Artificial Intelligence degrees (e.g. Sheffield , Birmingham ), there's not a single maths module throughout the 3 years.

Comparing UoEdinburgh, Birmingham, Sheffield:

[http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/internal/pr.../0144/years/1]
[http://www.dcs.shef.ac.uk/intranet/t...33.1484300327]
[http://www.drps.ed.ac.uk/17-18/dpt/utaintl.htm]

Really appreciate if you have any input.
I can't speak for the other universities but the maths modules which you take in 1st and 2nd year are certainly not wasteful. Linear Algebra is absolutely vital for the fundamental understanding of Machine Learning in later years. Calculus give you a helpful understanding when dealing with data and also practice with abstract problem solving.

Edinburgh is at, without a doubt, the forefront of new developments in Artificial Intelligence in the UK if not Europe. If maths isn't your thing then I recommend you don't join Edinburgh as you will struggle in the later years, that's not to say if you put in the work you won't do well, you certainly will but you've got to have a certain respect for the maths involved.

I've just had a look at the Sheffield webpage, the others aren't working. In the first year there is a course called "fundamentals of computer science". This seems to be a condensed and shortened version of 4 maths modules which we take. I can see that it covers parts of Linear Algebra, Proofs and Problem Solving and Probability and Statistic. So there certainly are maths modules in these AI courses as I would expect.

Give us a shout if you have any other questions!
srp_976
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey guys,
I'm sorry for messaging you so late but could you tell me what your A-level grades were? I have an A*AA at A-Level and haven't heard from the uni yet. I applied in October.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (274)
60.89%
Yes- I don't like it (22)
4.89%
No- I want it (120)
26.67%
No- I don't want it (34)
7.56%

Watched Threads