Micronor discontinued?!? Watch

danuuutka
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Is anyone else on Micronor and has been told that it has been discontinued? This is the first pill that has actually agreed with my body, and I've had a really good experience on it, but the pharmacist told me it was discontinued? Has anyone else been told this too?

I'm so scared of trying new contraception pills too
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by danuuutka)
Is anyone else on Micronor and has been told that it has been discontinued? This is the first pill that has actually agreed with my body, and I've had a really good experience on it, but the pharmacist told me it was discontinued? Has anyone else been told this too?

I'm so scared of trying new contraception pills too
I think noriday is still available which is the same hormone.
danuuutka
Rep:
?
(Original post by claireestelle)
Oh okay! Do you reckon it will work the same then?
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Oh okay! Do you reckon it will work the same then?
Theoretically yes it would
D350A
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I got told the same thing today when I went to get my prescription. Went back to the surgery and told them, and they recommended booking an appointment to work out which one to switch too. It's so annoying though, Micronor was working so well for me!
danuuutka
Rep:
?
(Original post by D350A)
I got told the same thing today when I went to get my prescription. Went back to the surgery and told them, and they recommended booking an appointment to work out which one to switch too. It's so annoying though, Micronor was working so well for me!
same here! I can't use the combined pill, and another mini pill I was on before micronor made me bleed/spot for FOUR MONTHS without a break... this one hasn't given me ANY negative side effects either. I'm scared I won't find another one that works as well
D350A
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yeah I had similar problems with the first pill I used... Apparently Noriday has the same ingredient as Micronor, so maybe ask your GP/nurse whether it would work just as well?
Jay7777
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
me too. All other contraceptives gave me bad side effects. Cerezzate made my hair break, fall out and stop growing. Ive been given Noriday as an alternative, I really hope it is the same as Micronor......the bad news is that the first chemist I went to told me Noriday had also been discontinued but I went to another chemist who still had it in stock.
danuuutka
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jay7777)
me too. All other contraceptives gave me bad side effects. Cerezzate made my hair break, fall out and stop growing. Ive been given Noriday as an alternative, I really hope it is the same as Micronor......the bad news is that the first chemist I went to told me Noriday had also been discontinued but I went to another chemist who still had it in stock.
gosh that would be annoying! when I went to pick u my prescription of noriday, they didn't say anything so hopefully it hasn't been discontinued
xxdanni89xx
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
yes I'm the same have been given Desogestrel 75 mcg hope this works apparently its the same as the micronor anyone else had this 1 before
SpacyJojo
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I was also on Micronor and it's the first pill that has totally agreed with me in years, I started the pill at 13 due to heavy periods and apart from a short break 6 years ago to have my daughter, I've been on some sort of contraceptive pill ever since. I'm now almost 28. All others so far have come with some sort of undesirable side effect for me, except Micronor. My doctors automatically switched me to Noriday and my chemist advised that is was almost identical in its chemical and molecular components to Micronor, but nobody was able to tell me why Micronor was discontinued, which is worrying as I wonder if it was harmful in some way, or perhaps it's an innocent thing such as it was outdated or expensive to produce etc.

Anyhow, I've now been on Noriday for just over a week and so far I feel no different, apart from a slight increase in libido, plus vaginal dryness which I have often suffered with seems to no longer be an issue. Sorry if that's too much info but if my reply helps somebody then it's worth sharing.
danuuutka
Rep:
?
(Original post by SpacyJojo)
I was also on Micronor and it's the first pill that has totally agreed with me in years, I started the pill at 13 due to heavy periods and apart from a short break 6 years ago to have my daughter, I've been on some sort of contraceptive pill ever since. I'm now almost 28. All others so far have come with some sort of undesirable side effect for me, except Micronor. My doctors automatically switched me to Noriday and my chemist advised that is was almost identical in its chemical and molecular components to Micronor, but nobody was able to tell me why Micronor was discontinued, which is worrying as I wonder if it was harmful in some way, or perhaps it's an innocent thing such as it was outdated or expensive to produce etc.

Anyhow, I've now been on Noriday for just over a week and so far I feel no different, apart from a slight increase in libido, plus vaginal dryness which I have often suffered with seems to no longer be an issue. Sorry if that's too much info but if my reply helps somebody then it's worth sharing.
Not TMI at all, I'd rather know! Thank you for letting me know, I was so so so worried about switching pills, cause I've had AWFUL side effects with other pills. I'm on day 3 of Noriday, and so far nothing different! Of course, it is very early to tell, but with previous pills I already had bide side affects after taking it for two days so.. Also, I totally get your worry, that was literally my first thought when I heard it was discontinued... I was like "oh gosh, what was wrong with it for it to be discontinued??"
Kezzaby
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Same happened to me today went for my check up to be told micronor was discontinued and wanted to put me on noriday but I've had that before and it didn't agree with me. Waiting for appointment with go. It's so frustrating as I struggled to find a pill that suited me.
quasa
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I have checked with drug suppliers and the drug regulatory bodies and it is officially discontinued.

to find out why from the manufacturer, call their medicines information line which is
+44 (0)800 731 8450.

In terms of alternatives, there are quite a lot (there are tonnes of contraceptives) but have seen a sharp uptake in people taking cilest (at the end of the day, its your choice. the most common one I see prescribed is microgynon (but you need to take a 7 day break) but cilest is a close 2nd)
danuuutka
Rep:
?
Hey guys, just wanted to quickly update you all! I switched to Noriday from Micronor, and have been taking that for almost 4 weeks - so far, all is good! I'm usually one to get side effects very quickly, so I do think that I'll have a good experience on this pill!
quasa
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey guys, just wanted to quickly update you all! I switched to Noriday from Micronor, and have been taking that for almost 4 weeks - so far, all is good! I'm usually one to get side effects very quickly, so I do think that I'll have a good experience on this pill!
depending on how many tablets they supplied (im guessing 84 or 168?), you will have to switch or alternatively speak to your pharmacy about saving a pack aside as it has been discontinued.
quasa
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi gals, I have official confirmation from Janssen-CIllag (the manufacturers of micronor) that it was discontinued in December 2016 due to a lot of competition in that sector of the market (translation: tonnes of other contraceptive pills). I would advise anyone on it to speak to their GP and let them know / switch to something else.
quasa
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
tis correct, noriday is still available and has the same active ingredient /strength (norethisterone 350mcg or 0.35mg).

Utovalan, whilst being a norethisterone product, isnt the same strength (is a lot stronger) and that is mainly used to stop period bleeding instead of being a contraceptive(although tbh it delays bleeding more than stops it from female patients I have spoken to).
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by quasa)
tis correct, noriday is still available and has the same active ingredient /strength (norethisterone 350mcg or 0.35mg).

Utovalan, whilst being a norethisterone product, isnt the same strength (is a lot stronger) and that is mainly used to stop period bleeding instead of being a contraceptive(although tbh it delays bleeding more than stops it from female patients I have spoken to).
I've used a couple of courses of utovalan myself, don't think i've ever met anyone who thought it was used as a contraceptive, had to explain it was chargeable of couple of times though.
quasa
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I've used a couple of courses of utovalan myself, don't think i've ever met anyone who thought it was used as a contraceptive, had to explain it was chargeable of couple of times though.
prescription charge has now gone up to £8.60 in England. fun times :gthumb:.

what is interesting (and something most patients don't know) is that of the £8.60 charged for items, £1.94 goes to GP who made the prescription and 90p goes to the pharmacy (+10p per item supplied).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (131)
19.58%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (64)
9.57%
No I am happy with my course choice (378)
56.5%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (96)
14.35%

Watched Threads