?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Edit: Sorry, wrong thread
AYNTDIS
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You are the only PoC media outlet that I know.
PearceVDC
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by AYNTDIS)
You are the only PoC media outlet that I know.
You know, because it's not like we're a majority white country, in Europe, or anything.
There are plenty of ethnic minorities writing in the Guardian by the way.
I think if you looked at Ethiopian media you'd find it's rather black.
Of course it's important to have ethnic minorities represented, but I think it's roughly equal to population levels at the moment.
AYNTDIS
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Mathemagicien)
Thank you! I do try to give representation of non-whites, and I get a lot of flak for it from reactionaries, but I'm glad you appreciate it
If you want to be good at it then start talking about PoC that are doing great things rather than always doing the whole "poor me poor me" shtick. we particularly need to know about Muslims that are doing good things in the world.
PandaSal
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The media outlets which we link to are almost always overwhelmingly white. Very few articles are written by people of colour; consequently, articles are overwhelmingly Eurocentric, focusing on the white point of view.

Even the Guardian and Huffington Post, while they preach about the benefits of diversity, are overwhelmingly white, and its quite disappointing that even these bastions of morality aren't tackling this major issue. It would certainly help improve the quality of their articles, which have been slipping.

I think we should have a list of non-white sources, and perhaps a mod could sticky the list so that when there is some breaking news, alongside the almost-certainly white point of view in the OP, we can quickly post the views of people of colour.

Unfortunately, I don't really know of many non-white media sources.
Al-Jazeera http://www.aljazeera.com/news/
HuffPost's Black Voices http://www.huffingtonpost.com/section/black-voices
Who cares if the media is too white? I would say it has gone the opposite way and minorities are being trumpeted despite their poor ability. Also LOL at your Guardian comment, it's mostly filled with ethnic people, very few whites, it's also a dreadful source of news, similar to HuffPost.
ForestShadow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
humbled by the mention, whats the reason :holmes:
Martin Grainger
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If you was talking about televised media watch the BBC they have quite a few black presenters. But your talking about news articles, i cant say i take much notice
PearceVDC
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The BBC is still a white news organisation. The people higher up are overwhelmingly white, and the funding comes from the UK taxpayers and is controlled by the parliament, so there is a lot of white oversight. I'm particularly looking for media in which there isn't any interference by white people anywhere in the production of the news articles.
I don't understand what is wrong with that. We're a majority white nation. Do you just hate white people? Good god you sound like a loon.
'interference by white people'???
I know power is a factor, and white people aren't really at risk of genocide, but replace white with Jewish or arab and it's really quite uncomfortable.
This kind of talk just damages social cohesion and drives people apart. Stop.
IamJacksContempt
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The BBC is still a white news organisation. The people higher up are overwhelmingly white, and the funding comes from the UK taxpayers and is controlled by the parliament, so there is a lot of white oversight. I'm particularly looking for media in which there isn't any interference by white people anywhere in the production of the news articles.
What exactly do you expect to find different about these non white articles?
NatsP29
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Ever so slightly , in the lack of diversity and how they decide to portray anything foreign as being exotic. This goes back to old Hollywood, So nothing much has changed.
AYNTDIS
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
That's a good idea, I'll try to find some positive stories about People of Color and Muslims, to counter the right-wing propaganda on here.

But its not a "poor me poor me" 'shtick', its pointing out racism in all its forms, no matter how trivial you think one form is, it is still racism and therefore wrong.
Pointing out racism just makes racist people more racist. In the same way pointing out Carnism makes meat-eaters more hungry. The only way to spread a good message is to show its benefits. You should be promoting the benefits of diversity or something rather than pointing out what's wrong with white people.
LazyBazooka
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yes it is. We need more people of colour taking all the positions that white people currently possess in the media. In fact, we need to impose some neo-Nuremberg Laws which exclude white people entirely from applying for jobs in the media, and preferably from public spaces too.
1010marina
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
This website is predominantly for UK students... And the UK is (for now at least) predominantly white.

If this were an Indian student website by all means you could complain
AYNTDIS
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
"Pointing out racism just makes people more racist" :facepalm:

If someone points out that your diet is really unhealthy, does that make you more or less likely to eat a little healthier in future?
You misquoted me.
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
In this forum, the media outlets which we link to are almost always overwhelmingly white. Very few articles are written by people of colour; consequently, articles are overwhelmingly Eurocentric, focusing on the white point of view.

Even the Guardian and Huffington Post, while they preach about the benefits of diversity, are overwhelmingly white, and its quite disappointing that even these bastions of morality aren't tackling this major issue. It would certainly help improve the quality of their articles, which have been slipping.

I think we should have a list of non-white sources, and perhaps a mod could sticky the list so that when there is some breaking news, alongside the almost-certainly white point of view in the OP, we can quickly post the views of people of colour.

Unfortunately, I don't really know of many non-white media sources.
Al-Jazeera http://www.aljazeera.com/news/
HuffPost's Black Voices http://www.huffingtonpost.com/section/black-voices
Why does it matter?

Also, Huffington Post. Lol.
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Oh yes, social justice is absolutely equivalent to Nazism, just look at all the concentration camps we've set up to indoctrinate and kill white males.

:facepalm:
Many SJWs hold authoritarian views. Not saying that they're Nazis, but they're often certainly not the "liberals" that they claim to be.
Aerospengie
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The BBC is still a jewish news organisation. The people higher up are overwhelmingly jewish, and the funding comes from the UK taxpayers and is controlled by the parliament, so there is a lot of jewish oversight. I'm particularly looking for media in which there isn't any interference by jewish people anywhere in the production of the news articles.
Aerospengie
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Oh yes, social justice is absolutely equivalent to Nazism, just look at all the concentration camps we've set up to indoctrinate and kill white males.

:facepalm:
i'm fairly sure you would if you got the chance
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
"Pointing out racism just makes people more racist" :facepalm:

If someone points out that your diet is really unhealthy, does that make you more or less likely to eat a little healthier in future?
Looks like you misquoted that deliberately, but that's just me.

(Original post by Martin Grainger)
If you was talking about televised media watch the BBC they have quite a few black presenters. But your talking about news articles, i cant say i take much notice
The BBC is no stranger to racism to achieve diversity.
Claudious
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Mathemagicien Why don't you reply to PearceVDC?
I'm surprised you can even justify yourself- only roughly 14% of people are of mixed race in Britain, and in my home county, only 4.5%, of which all can write articles and secure jobs at any media outlet if they are good enough.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (188)
58.2%
I don't have everything I need (135)
41.8%

Watched Threads