Choosing my GCSE options: GEOGRAPHY or HISTORY? Watch

Anantamia
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am choosing my options this week but I am unsure between history and geography. I would like to become a doctor when I grow up. I was given triple science and I can choose between Spanish/French (Iwant to do French) and history/geography. HISTORY: the techear is better, some people say it's easier, some say that in universities (medical schools) like it more because it shows that you are able to analyse and write a lot (they say it's more academic subject than geography.) GEOGRAPHY: teacher is not as good at explaining, I thought that if I change mind in medicine then I might do something related to geography and economics. Geography topics: physical environment, human environment and one more topic that we don't know about. History: the nazis, immigrants in the uk in the past 100 years, Elizabeth time and the Mughal Empire. Some people say history is harder or geography is harder but I think it all depends on the person. Any thought would be helpful, thank you.
xhorseloverx
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'd say do Geography - it's more scientific and it would help with your backup career option. But to be honest it doesn't matter that much as long as you enjoy the subjects you pick because Triple Science will probably be the only necessary option (which you are doing anyway). Good luck!

(I don't speak from experience)
pindama
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
In my opinion, history exam technique can be quite hard to grasp but depending on what you do, the topics can be fascinating. There is a lot to learn for both subjects so honestly it is which ever you find most interesting and will be able to revise more!
Anantamia
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
This is my first day in The Student Room, I didn't know it could be so helpful thank you!
Leviathan1741
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anantamia)
I am choosing my options this week but I am unsure between history and geography. I would like to become a doctor when I grow up. I was given triple science and I can choose between Spanish/French (Iwant to do French) and history/geography. HISTORY: the techear is better, some people say it's easier, some say that in universities (medical schools) like it more because it shows that you are able to analyse and write a lot (they say it's more academic subject than geography.) GEOGRAPHY: teacher is not as good at explaining, I thought that if I change mind in medicine then I might do something related to geography and economics. Geography topics: physical environment, human environment and one more topic that we don't know about. History: the nazis, immigrants in the uk in the past 100 years, Elizabeth time and the Mughal Empire. Some people say history is harder or geography is harder but I think it all depends on the person. Any thought would be helpful, thank you.
Overall I would advise picking whichever subject you think you could get the best grade in. However, if you're considering geography as a backup option if you change your mind about medicine, then having GCSE Geography is useful (and sometimes essential) preparation, if you wanted to do Geography at A Level, for example
EllieH01
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm in Year 11 now and do both History and Geography. I also want to do medicine at University. Personally, I've found History much more interesting than Geography, and if I could only pick one I would definitely choose History but as other people have said there is more exam technique in history than Geography. As far as Universities go, both history and geography are facilitating subjects, so for a medicine degree, I think they would be more bothered about the grade you got as opposed to which subject you took. The again if you think you're likely to change your mind and do Geography later on, you should definitely pick it now. Overall I'd say just pick whichever you like the best or which you're best at
shohaib712
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Med schools dont really care about which you pick. They only care about they grades you get at GCSE level. I suggest you pick the one that youll do well in e.g. geography. Having done history I would say its best to pick geography as its a lot more easy especially cuz its more science related and a lot of the topics link to chemistry e.g. tectonic plates. So it would be useful to do geography if your good at science.
username2324315
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
GCSE History seemed to be much more liked in people in my year over GCSE Geography, I did GCSE History and am doing A Level and I love it
_.belieber2002
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I chose the same options as my friend, it was the biggest mistake I've ever made but I panicked seeing as I only came to that school in February 2017 (near the end of Year 9) and then I went on holiday for the six week holidays and then I came back two weeks late and like I panicked and changed my options to the same as hers..I'm not pleased with it and really want to change it but how..? How can I convince my teachers to let me change it..? Even though it's too late..
sophia13
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anantamia)

I say history. It has elements of medicine attached to it. I want to be a doctor, also do triple science. Trust me. I was in geography for 7 lessons and i did not like it. I changed in time luckily but at the end of the day, it's up to you. This is my personal opinion.
daisy.confused
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
hey I'm in the same boat I don't have a clue which to pick geography or history . I'm trying to see which one will help me with medicine bit I chose tipple science a pe gcse that's because u learn about the body but still confused which to pick geography or history I find them both the same so stuck .
ursmums
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
geography will help you more in life as it makes you aware of what's going on around the world.history is not a bad subject but what are you gonna do about learning dead people. however, at the end of the day, it's up to you what you enjoy the most.
Haaris Ali
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi i think you should go for history because you can be a lawyer and i am picking my options in december 2019 between history or geography and i think in geography you have to write load and in geography it easier to get an easy mark.Haaris Ali Year 9 13 Years Old
Ayesha(chow)
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi I am confused what to choose between history or geography I am a grade 6 for both and I enjoy both as much as each other I want to what is important if u want to be a lawer history or geography
minajsuperior
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
when i say pick geography i MEAN pick geography, the history content is too difficult and the exams are extremely difficult also
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 6 Jan '20

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (316)
46.13%
No (75)
10.95%
I'm not old enough (294)
42.92%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise