Amarante
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi, I was practising proof by induction and came across this question (9b june 2014 IAL) which I think I've correctly proved. However, the mark scheme doesn't show my method among the alternatives so I was wondering if I would still get the marks. I skipped basis case and conclusion for timing purposes. Can someone verify whether this method is correct or not?
Thanks in advance
Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1488721603.994594.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  79.6 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile
RDKGames
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Amarante)
Hi, I was practising proof by induction and came across this question (9b june 2014 IAL) which I think I've correctly proved. However, the mark scheme doesn't show my method among the alternatives so I was wondering if I would still get the marks. I skipped basis case and conclusion for timing purposes. Can someone verify whether this method is correct or not?
Thanks in advance

Posted from TSR Mobile
Looks fine though generally you need make use of the fact that 4^k+6k+8 is divisible by 18 directly, not its rearrangement - exam boards could be picky on that, not sure.
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Amarante)
Thanks in advance
Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1488721603.994594.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  79.6 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile
That looks fine, although in general it's probably safer, to use f(k+1) = f(k) + g(k), where g(k) = f(k+1)-f(k), proving that g(k) is divisible by 18, and making deductions accordingly.
Amarante
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by _gcx)
That looks fine, although in general it's probably safer, to use f(k+1) = f(k) + g(k), where g(k) = f(k+1)-f(k), proving that g(k) is divisible by 18, and making deductions accordingly.
(Original post by RDKGames)
Looks fine though generally you need make use of the fact that 4^k+6k+8 is divisible by 18 directly, not its rearrangement - exam boards could be picky on that, not sure.
Thank you very much, I'll stick to the safer option

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (359)
84.07%
No (68)
15.93%

Watched Threads