US Politician refuses to meet Muslim constituents

Watch
Act of War
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
A local representative in Oklahoma who once called Islam a “cancer” has issued a series of questions – including “Do you beat your wife?” – for Muslim constituents hoping to meet him.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7612051.html

What are your thoughts on this?
joe cooley
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Darren A)
A local representative in Oklahoma who once called Islam a “cancer” has issued a series of questions – including “Do you beat your wife?” – for Muslim constituents hoping to meet him.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7612051.html

What are your thoughts on this?
You think a local representative should be forced to meet with wife beaters?

1st amendment covers that one.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by joe cooley)
You think a local representative should be forced to meet with wife beaters?

1st amendment covers that one.
As a wife beater he can refuse them, as a Muslim it's sort of unconstitutional. He can't and shouldn't group the two because what about the atheist or Christian wife beaters?
javedkid123
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I can't understand that type of logic. But Im pretty sure many of the bigots that hang around here do.
joe cooley
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by zayn008)
As a wife beater he can refuse them, as a Muslim it's sort of unconstitutional. He can't and shouldn't group the two because what about the atheist or Christian wife beaters?
To be fair his questions were quite reasonable:

The form invites Muslims to clarify whether they would denounce groups such as Hamas and Hezbollah and whether they believed former Muslims should be punished for relinquishing their faith. They were also asked whether they believed the application of Sharia law should extend to non-Muslims.

Why would anyone waste time on people who wouldn't denounces terrorists like Hamas?
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by joe cooley)
To be fair his questions were quite reasonable:

The form invites Muslims to clarify whether they would denounce groups such as Hamas and Hezbollah and whether they believed former Muslims should be punished for relinquishing their faith. They were also asked whether they believed the application of Sharia law should extend to non-Muslims.

Why would anyone waste time on people who wouldn't denounces terrorists like Hamas?
Okay, fair enough. He made good points there but shouldn't have made the comment about wife beating, it might be a problem in Muslim countries but it isn't really a problem with American muslims
Cherub012
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Mathemagicien)
What a racist idiot. Why are Americans so ignorant?
Muslims aren't a race. Smh.
Mr. Bojangles
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Nothing wrong with this at all, he just wants to make sure that they are decent human beings. Would you really want to associate with a possible wife beater?
QE2
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by zayn008)
Okay, fair enough. He made good points there but shouldn't have made the comment about wife beating, it might be a problem in Muslim countries but it isn't really a problem with American muslims
The problem with sura 4:34 is that it is actually in the perfect, unchangable, universal and timeless Quran, not whether individual Muslims use its facility. Even those Muslims who do not beat their wives accept that others are allowed to (unless they reject that passage of the Quran, in which case they are no longer classed as Muslims by Islam's own standards)

There are always going to be certain types who beat their partners, from all religions and none, but having an infallible and immutable divine manual that specifically gives ahderents permission to beat their wife (under certain circumstances) is a very different matter.
devils18
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
So white men don't beat their wives?

Americans and they're ignorance.
Ladbants
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Well that's his choice imo
Poetrybum94
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Ladbants)
Well that's his choice imo
Ladbants, he is a local REPRESENTATIVE. He represents all the residents in the area. You can't 'pick and choose' which of your constituents you'd like to represent!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (20)
13.25%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (42)
27.81%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (62)
41.06%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (23)
15.23%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (4)
2.65%

Watched Threads