Jozanic
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi. Just wanted to know what structure other people are using for their Economics essays and to see whether I could improve mine.

I currently use the following structure:

DEFINE
ANALYSE
EXPLAIN
EVALUATE
CONCLUSION

I find it hard to get into the 20-25 mark band using this structure. So, I'd like to know whether there's probably a better structure or whether it's just my writing technique that's meh.
TeeEff
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Jozanic)
Hi. Just wanted to know what structure other people are using for their Economics essays and to see whether I could improve mine.

DEFINE
ANALYSE
EXPLAIN
EVALUATE
CONCLUSION

I find it hard to get into the 20-25 mark band using this structure. So, I'd like to know whether there's probably a better structure or whether it's just my writing technique that's meh.
Is this your structure in terms of paragraphs or the essay overall?

If it's the latter, you may not be able to coherently link your points together which will restrict the marks you get for your essay. You often need to make multiple points, so grouping definitions in one, analysis in another etc. can be quite messy.

Rather, if this is your structure for paragraphs it will probably be better. Your KAA marks become more obvious and it generally fits together in a better way.

So to summarise, group the stuff related to your points like so:
DEFINE, EXAMPLE, ANALYSE/EXPLAIN

Given Evaluation is a higher level skill that gets you the higher marks, have it separate so that it is distinct. Depending on your exam board (though I believe this applies near universally), they can also be rewarded for critically looking at your point and so fits well as it's own paragraph that follows your initial point.

The higher level essay structure of an essay would hence be:
Point 1
Eval 1
Point n
Eval n
Conclusion

Hope that helps!
Jozanic
Rep:
?
(Original post by The Financier)
Is this your structure in terms of paragraphs or the essay overall?

If it's the latter, you may not be able to coherently link your points together which will restrict the marks you get for your essay. You often need to make multiple points, so grouping definitions in one, analysis in another etc. can be quite messy.

Rather, if this is your structure for paragraphs it will probably be better. Your KAA marks become more obvious and it generally fits together in a better way.

So to summarise, group the stuff related to your points like so:
DEFINE, EXAMPLE, ANALYSE/EXPLAIN

Given Evaluation is a higher level skill that gets you the higher marks, have it separate so that it is distinct. Depending on your exam board (though I believe this applies near universally), they can also be rewarded for critically looking at your point and so fits well as it's own paragraph that follows your initial point.

The higher level essay structure of an essay would hence be:
Point 1
Eval 1
Point n
Eval n
Conclusion

Hope that helps!
Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I use the current structure for the whole essays as opposed to each paragraph. In terms of evaluation, I've been told it is better to include all evaluation points at the end (in like a concluding paragraph) to make it more visible, though I think your idea of evaluating as you go is better.

Other than using economic terms, is it good to use transitions and connectors such as "To conclude" or "To evaluate" to make points apparent to the examiner?

Thanks for the advice!
TeeEff
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I use the current structure for the whole essays as opposed to each paragraph. In terms of evaluation, I've been told it is better to include all evaluation points at the end (in like a concluding paragraph) to make it more visible, though I think your idea of evaluating as you go is better.

Other than using economic terms, is it good to use transitions and connectors such as "To conclude" or "To evaluate" to make points apparent to the examiner?

Thanks for the advice!
The problem with having all your evaluation at the end is that you're unlikely to get all the evaluation marks available, simply because fitting three or four paragraphs of evaluation into one is insanely difficult. What might've been an evaluative paragraph that earns 3 eval marks ends up only earning 1 because of the restriction you have in fitting it all in.

To conclude should be fine, but I find it doesn't otherwise flow when explicitly saying where you're evaluating. You want your essay to connect together well and having something like "to evaluate" feels rather artificial imo. I've never needed to state where my paragraph is an evaluative one because it's usually well implied if your evaluative paragraph is written strongly (i.e. is a clear demonstration of critical thinking).
Jozanic
Rep:
?
(Original post by The Financier)
The problem with having all your evaluation at the end is that you're unlikely to get all the evaluation marks available, simply because fitting three or four paragraphs of evaluation into one is insanely difficult. What might've been an evaluative paragraph that earns 3 eval marks ends up only earning 1 because of the restriction you have in fitting it all in.

To conclude should be fine, but I find it doesn't otherwise flow when explicitly saying where you're evaluating. You want your essay to connect together well and having something like "to evaluate" feels rather artificial imo. I've never needed to state where my paragraph is an evaluative one because it's usually well implied if your evaluative paragraph is written strongly (i.e. is a clear demonstration of critical thinking).
Alrighty. thanks a bunch!
TeeEff
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Alrighty. thanks a bunch!
No problem! If you have any other questions related to the course content or exam technique do feel free to post them!
rosemariechua
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi , I m kinda sturggling with economics essay . For example , I might know howto write but I dont know whether the way I write or the definayions amd the points it is correct or not . I tried reading the marking schemes and the examiner report and i dont find it useful as they did not really explain .Sometimes I might not even know how to answer the question .... PLS HELP ME ;(
TeeEff
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by rosemariechua)
Hi , I m kinda sturggling with economics essay . For example , I might know howto write but I dont know whether the way I write or the definayions amd the points it is correct or not . I tried reading the marking schemes and the examiner report and i dont find it useful as they did not really explain .Sometimes I might not even know how to answer the question .... PLS HELP ME ;(
Your question is quite broad and really unspecific (for example, we don't know what you've written so we can't ourselves determine whether it's correct or not). For a basic outline, see my first post in this thread. The general principle is that Economics essays are on topics with no clear answer, and therefore your premise should be to detail both sides of a situation, explaining with evidence/chain of reasoning and then evaluating which you think is better at the end.
anonymous2556
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by TeeEff)
Your question is quite broad and really unspecific (for example, we don't know what you've written so we can't ourselves determine whether it's correct or not). For a basic outline, see my first post in this thread. The general principle is that Economics essays are on topics with no clear answer, and therefore your premise should be to detail both sides of a situation, explaining with evidence/chain of reasoning and then evaluating which you think is better at the end.
Hi,

I'm considering economics a level. I am someone who likes the sciences as they're very formulaic and based on knowledge. Are the essays in economics like that or do they require more analysis? Is it a subject for people who love humanities or who prefer sciency subjects?
oliverxdineen
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

DEFINE
ANALYSE
EXPLAIN
EVALUATE
CONCLUSION

I'm an A* econ student so I hope I can give a helpful insight!

One of the most important things, that is somewhat obvious (but the best of us forget) is that you need to adress the question, and keep adressing the question!

Regarding the structure this is what I use on a 20+ marker on each point:
1) Point- make sure you define all terms and quote any material that is applicable
2) Analysis of that point
3) Evaluation- this is a point to put real life examples and your own knowledge
4) A somewhat of an analysis to that evaluation
5) Then you go back on forth ananalysing your evaluations, and argueing for and against. Don't go on forever with this but it certainly helps you get your point across!
6) Conclude on that point and BRING IT BACK TO THE QUESTION!

Then regarding the actual structure of the essay it is no so important, however if the question is a discuss question try and go back on forth with pro's and con's.

Good luck and keep revising!!!
TeeEff
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by anonymous2556)
Hi,

I'm considering economics a level. I am someone who likes the sciences as they're very formulaic and based on knowledge. Are the essays in economics like that or do they require more analysis? Is it a subject for people who love humanities or who prefer sciency subjects?
Hi!

Economics is both quantitative and qualitative at A-Level, so you'll get both. From my experience (which is around three years old now), you'll get more 'formulaic' questions in the Microeconomic half of the course (where you'll need to know some formulas like Price Elasticities, what is being illustrated in a given economic graph and some definitions) which have a heavily implied structure for answering. With Macroeconomics, the essay questions will require more analysis and evaluation (informed opinions) of the material if you want the higher marks so is more down to your ability to think more deeply about the question. Having said that, there's usually an implied structure as my original post in this thread details.

I honestly think it's a good subject for both humanities and a science-orientated individual if you don't want all of your choices to be STEM. Even if you don't study it at university, you should learn to improve the areas that you're not as strong at, be it essay writing or working with maths. Of course, I'd recommend speaking to an Economics teacher at an open day to get a better idea of whether it'd be the right subject choice for you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bishop Grosseteste University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 15 Nov '19
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • University of Roehampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19

Are you registered to vote?