A level Bio help Watch

Lucky10
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Attachment 624602How do I work out the phenotype ratio?
Lucky10
Rep:
?
Any ideas
sayema1
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
it says attachment nt available
Lucky10
Rep:
?
Name:  IMG_0753.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  502.1 KB
(Original post by sayema1)
it says attachment nt available
Lucky10
Rep:
?
Is it working now
lizardlizard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Since all the columns are the same (because the father is homozygous in both traits), you can just look at 1 column and you will get the same answer.

Look at the phenotype produced by each genotype in the boxes. Assuming there is no codominance or epistasis etc, you know that any genotype like AA or Aa would show the dominant trait, and the genotype aa would show the recessive trait. I would label each box with the phenotype it produces first of all. For example, the top left box would have the dominant trait for both A and B, so that is its phenotype. So would the second box down.

After that, count how many boxes contain each phenotype has, and work out the ratio between the different numbers.
Lucky10
Rep:
?
(Original post by lizardlizard)
Since all the columns are the same (because the father is homozygous in both traits), you can just look at 1 column and you will get the same answer.

Look at the phenotype produced by each genotype in the boxes. Assuming there is no codominance or epistasis etc, you know that any genotype like AA or Aa would show the dominant trait, and the genotype aa would show the recessive trait. I would label each box with the phenotype it produces first of all. For example, the top left box would have the dominant trait for both A and B, so that is its phenotype. So would the second box down.

After that, count how many boxes contain each phenotype has, and work out the ratio between the different numbers.
Would the ratio be 4:4:4:4?
lizardlizard
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
4:4:4:4 would simplify to 1:1:1:1. That would be correct for the genotype ratio, but you need to consider the phenotype that would happen in each individual as it is asking for phenotype ratio.
Lucky10
Rep:
?
4:4:4:4 would simplify to 1:1:1:1. That would be correct for the genotype ratio, but you need to consider the phenotype that would happen in each individual as it is asking for phenotype ratio.
I'm really confused to how you work that out
lizardlizard
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Do you know how dominant and recessive genes work? For example, if B was dominant and meant brown eyes, and b was recessive and meant blue eyes, could you work out the colour of eyes for individuals with genotype BB, Bb, or bb?
Lucky10
Rep:
?
Do you know how dominant and recessive genes work? For example, if B was dominant and meant brown eyes, and b was recessive and meant blue eyes, could you work out the colour of eyes for individuals with genotype BB, Bb, or bb?
I understand that but how like do you work that out
lizardlizard
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
When they are something like AABb, work it out as:
What would AA mean? (dominant allele A means they have the A characteristic).
What would Bb mean? (they have the dominant allele B, so they have the B characteristic).
The phenotype includes both of those things, so the phenotype would be that they have the A and B characteristics. Then count up how many others have the same. The question you have is a bit of a trick question when it asks for "ratios".
Lucky10
Rep:
?
When they are something like AABb, work it out as:
What would AA mean? (dominant allele A means they have the A characteristic).
What would Bb mean? (they have the dominant allele B, so they have the B characteristic).
The phenotype includes both of those things, so the phenotype would be that they have the A and B characteristics. Then count up how many others have the same. The question you have is a bit of a trick question when it asks for "ratios".
So wouldn't it be all of them
lizardlizard
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yeah, they all have the same phenotype really.
Lucky10
Rep:
?
Thank you
Yeah, they all have the same phenotype really.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (135)
18.12%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (76)
10.2%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (128)
17.18%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (106)
14.23%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (74)
9.93%
How can I be the best version of myself? (226)
30.34%

Watched Threads