xhorseloverx
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Ok, so I was wondering how well regarded GCSE Drama is? I love drama so much - it's my favourite subject and I'm really good at it. I'm currently achieving a 9 in it and I think that I could continue this level of work at GCSE.

But it is my main dream to go to Oxford University to study PPE/Law or another humanities subject (like history). So would GCSE Drama hinder my chances of being a successful applicant?

I have also considered taking Religous Studies or Geography instead but my heart is telling me to pursue Drama! However, I would hate it if I was rejected because I had a GCSE in Drama instead of an academic subject.

For reference, my other subjects will be:

- English Lit
- English Lang
- Maths
- Physics
- Chemistsry
- Biology
- History
- Italian/French

My target grade in all of these subjects is 9 and I'm currently on target for all of them, so even with drama I think I could gain a solid set of 8 academic GCSEs.

I really wish I was good at the more 'academic' extra-curricular subjects like art and music but I'm just not...

So, would you suggest taking Drama or should I go for an academic? I do also really enjoy the alternative subjects mentioned so I would still be happy studying those
lara_westwood
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by xhorseloverx)
Ok, so I was wondering how well regarded GCSE Drama is? I love drama so much - it's my favourite subject and I'm really good at it. I'm currently achieving a 9 in it and I think that I could continue this level of work at GCSE.

But it is my main dream to go to Oxford University to study PPE/Law or another humanities subject (like history). So would GCSE Drama hinder my chances of being a successful applicant?

I have also considered taking Religous Studies or Geography instead but my heart is telling me to pursue Drama! However, I would hate it if I was rejected because I had a GCSE in Drama instead of an academic subject.

For reference, my other subjects will be:

- English Lit
- English Lang
- Maths
- Physics
- Chemistsry
- Biology
- History
- Italian/French

My target grade in all of these subjects is 9 and I'm currently on target for all of them, so even with drama I think I could gain a solid set of 8 academic GCSEs.

I really wish I was good at the more 'academic' extra-curricular subjects like art and music but I'm just not...

So, would you suggest taking Drama or should I go for an academic? I do also really enjoy the alternative subjects mentioned so I would still be happy studying those
I would choose the subject you are more interested in. In terms of being rejected because of taking a 'non-academic subject', in drama 40% of the subject is a written exam and universities normally look at A-Levels over GCSE's so I wouldn't worry about getting rejected (purely because I don't think that you would). Hope this helps with your decision!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (223)
43.47%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (58)
11.31%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (39)
7.6%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (108)
21.05%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (57)
11.11%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (28)
5.46%

Watched Threads