Female getting into the army with OCD and depression?

Watch
username3056102
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi, I'm so desperate to become part of the military but I have been diagnosed with OCD (cleaning hands- it's gone now!) and depression - severe but on medication. I feel like it may just be a phase (I'm on medication btw) but I really don't want this to affect my dream.

Can I still get into the army?
cbreef
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by elle98101)
Hi, I'm so desperate to become part of the military but I have been diagnosed with OCD (cleaning hands- it's gone now!) and depression - severe but on medication. I feel like it may just be a phase (I'm on medication btw) but I really don't want this to affect my dream.

It's a possibility, yes. Drewski
study beats
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

i suffer from severe ocd, although my dreams may have died, you can still make yours happen
Judge Jules
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Lol, Good Luck
You'll be even more depressed if you get bullied there as the army is well known for that just watch a documentary called Deepcut
Type the name of it on Google or You Tube to watch the video
I don't want to put you off but it is important that people know about it then if it happens to you or you see it happening to anyone else You know what to do about it and do not keep quiet about it. If all those people in the documentary had seen a similar documentary when they joined the army they would have known never to just accept it and tell their families or friends and if they couldn't help then to go to the media about it

I tried to join the army last year but this was just the reserves and it was supposed to only be to play musical instruments in their band which they teach anyone even if they don't have any experience. I saw the advert on TV, wrote down the website address and applied online then they emailed me and asked if I have any medical probs, i would have lied and not told them but they wrote not to lie as they would find out through medical records so I wrote I have anxiety/panic attacks and anaemia. A few days later I got rejected and a week later I was sent a rejection by letter too. I wasn't applying for any physical duties just the musician job but they still rejected me because of my medical problems
But that does not mean you should give up as it will be different for you
If it's something you want to try then just apply and see what happens
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

If you Google "medical conditions service army" you get presented with a document that says:

"Medical conditions that preclude entry: The conditions in the table below make a person permanently unsuitable, except where specifically time limited, for entry into the Armed Forces. Note: This table is not comprehensive and is intended for general guidance only."

It then lists OCD.

That does not of itself mean you cannot apply, but you should be aware that they may turn you down.

Only the Army and their application process can tell you for certain.
cbreef
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Drewski)
If you Google "medical conditions service army" you get presented with a document that says:

"Medical conditions that preclude entry: The conditions in the table below make a person permanently unsuitable, except where specifically time limited, for entry into the Armed Forces. Note: This table is not comprehensive and is intended for general guidance only."

It then lists OCD.

That does not of itself mean you cannot apply, but you should be aware that they may turn you down.

Only the Army and their application process can tell you for certain.
Is depression on there? She says her OCD is gone.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by cbreef)
Is depression on there? She says her OCD is gone.
She's been diagnosed. It's not up to her to say it's gone.
Goaded
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Tis certainly possible.

Don't under estimate the difficulty though, my brother is a very strong person (both emotionally and physically) and has faced bouts of depression in the armed forces. It can be very lonely, even with your team around you.
MadVisionary
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yeah it's possible
They're a bit cautious of depression, with guns and explosives within easy reach and all
You have to go a certain period of time without being prescribed antidepressants, I believe. A couple years maybe.

Good luck!
KronicKrona1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I've applied for the RAF as a Regiment Gunner and have also applied to the Army as an Infantry Gunner. I sent off my medical but got the "unfit for service but can appeal" reply because I circled yes for 2 questions and shouldn't have because I didn't need to. There was a period of time where I felt a little down as I was still trying to come to terms with my parents split. There was also another visit to the doctor (about 3 months ago) where I'd told them I was overthinking things, mainly because I was in a **** job (currently still there too) and wanted something better in my life, and just in general, didn't know where to go.l with myself. Like any other human being. The problem I've got is my ACTUAL GP diagnosed me with "severe depression" which 1. I wasn't even told about and I only found out I was diagnosed for it a few days ago (he diagnosed me july 2016) 2. I wasn't even depressed at all as like I said, I just went through a stressful time with my parents. Ive got my 2 parents and a cousin all on Anti's and them and many customers in my work have said in not depressed. I've never been on anti-depressants, was never offered them or have plans to be on them in the future, they've also never been considered. Because of this over thinking, I HAVE had some CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy) but again, That was mainly to do with my parents split. Another problem I have is I need to get proof I haven't been diagnosed with anxiety or depression but with it being on my medical records for over a year which i had no idea of and also don't agree with, how do I work around this? If I was EVER "down" then it's because of how my life was previously... working in the forces, well, I'd be the happiest I'd ever be for one, so what now? I just need to try and explain to the doctor he's misdiagnosed me and hopefully I can continue my application... other than that, I don't know what else to do! Cheers in advance guys!☺
Deanjkerr
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Did any of you get in the armed forces with MH issues? Cheers
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Deanjkerr)
Did any of you get in the armed forces with MH issues? Cheers
You won't get in with current issues. You might get in with a history of issues, but they are assessed on a case-by-case basis, so you have to apply and have your specific medical record assessed to find out.
Charleyb123
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hi guys.I've been rejected twice by the army. Both reserves and regular. I've been diagnosed with OCD as I had therapy for 6 months about 8 years ago. I've appealed and had letters from the doctors and even tried fibbing my way through, but to no avail. I'm absolutely fine and myOCD level is minimal, just like **** to be tidy..... Perfect for army life, right?! Obviously not. The advice I would give anyone would be to visit your GP before applying and making sure any previous visits haven't been left you with a misdiagnosis. Unless you've had recorded treatment they will be nonethewiser. However, if your like me with NHS let's talk records. Kiss the dream of army life good bye.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (172)
14.68%
I'm not sure (54)
4.61%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (344)
29.35%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.99%
I'm not a current university student (567)
48.38%

Watched Threads