The Student Room Group

Propan-1-ol or propanol?

When naming organic compound do you have to put 1 or can you leave it blank?
I know that you can do this for aldehydes/carboxylic acids.
If there were no other possibilities then yes, you would leave it as propanol. However due to the fact that propanol can have its alcohol functional group on the second or first carbon (also the third, but this is just the same as first) you must, when naming, say propan-1-ol, or propan-2-ol so you know where exactly the functional group is. Just saying propanol is too vague, as the person drawing it needs to know where the -OH is.

Hope this helped :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Carboxylic acids and aldehydes have to have their functional group at the end (of a straight chain) so using the one is superfluous - it could be nowhere else.
Original post by shohaib712
When naming organic compound do you have to put 1 or can you leave it blank? I know that you can do this for aldehydes/carboxylic acids.

The functional group is numbered using the lowest number available. As it can only go on the end of the chain of 3 C atoms, it's always going to be propan-1-ol. Therefore,the '1' is redundant, and the compound is just called propanol.
Original post by Reality Check
The functional group is numbered using the lowest number available. As it can only go on the end of the chain of 3 C atoms, it's always going to be propan-1-ol. Therefore,the '1' is redundant, and the compound is just called propanol.

There is such a thing as propan-2-ol :p:
Original post by EierVonSatan
There is such a thing as propan-2-ol :p:

True enough, the OP could have been talking about structural isomers... Probably not though :tongue:
Original post by Reality Check

A chain of three carbon atoms has two ends and one middle ...

C-C-C

(unless it's cyclopropane)

... the OH group could go on the end or on the middle. The locant is not redundant when naming the compound.

On the end: propan-1-ol
On the middle: propan-2-ol
Original post by charco
A chain of three carbon atoms has two ends and one middle ...

C-C-C

(unless it's cyclopropane)

... the OH group could go on the end or on the middle. The locant is not redundant when naming the compound.

On the end: propan-1-ol
On the middle: propan-2-ol

Yes, I think that where we've got to now...:smile: I'm sure the OP is happy we've all helped him.
Thank you! Could you help me with this question please

Which compound is non-polar

A) E-1,2-dichromobut-2-ene
B) E-2,3-dichromobut-2-ene
C) Z-2,3-dichromobut-2-ene
D) Z-1,4 dichromobut-2-ene

How did you work it out?
(I think the answer is B)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by shohaib712
Thank you! Could you help me with this question please

Which compound is non-polar