T-Mo
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Has anyone gone to study engineering at Cambridge without studying a level further maths. Looking at their website it suggest further maths is strongly preferred and it should be taken as an A or AS level. My chosen A levels are Maths, physics, design and technology and AS art and design. Can I still get in, and has anyone else done it?
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by T-Mo)
Has anyone gone to study engineering at Cambridge without studying a level further maths. Looking at their website it suggest further maths is strongly preferred and it should be taken as an A or AS level. My chosen A levels are Maths, physics, design and technology and AS art and design. Can I still get in, and has anyone else done it?
This might help you:
http://www.admissions.eng.cam.ac.uk/guide/requirements

"Third A Levels

"All Colleges strongly prefer applicants for Engineering to be taking a third subject that is relevant to Engineering. Suitable subjects for your third A Level include (in alphabetical order) Chemistry, Computing, Electronics, Design Technology and Further Maths. Special comments are required about Further Maths and Design & Technology A Levels. Table 1 might seem to indicate that if you are not doing Further Maths there are very few Colleges that might admit you. This is far from the truth. In practice, about a third of the students admitted to study Engineering at Cambridge have not done Further Maths A Level. What Colleges are looking for is high ability in mathematics. Colleges are aware that not all schools offer Further Maths A Level, and will not discriminate against applicants who have not had the opportunity to take it.

"The recent experience of Colleges is that some Design Technology A Level courses are excellent and provide engineering students with a very worthwhile introduction to the subject, while other courses are of very limited benefit. Potential applicants doing Design Technology are advised to consult with their prospective College about the acceptability of the course they are doing."
T-Mo
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Thanks for the reply, I have read through the Cambridge website. I was just wondering how many people get in withought doing further maths.
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by T-Mo)
Thanks for the reply, I have read through the Cambridge website. I was just wondering how many people get in withought doing further maths.
that link does say a third don't have FM.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by T-Mo)
I would seriously look elsewhere for Engineering - the Canbridge course does not include a year in Industry nor it is geared to working in the Engineering industry.
University of Bath
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by T-Mo)
Hi,

I'm a second year engineering student at Bath. I applied to Cambridge without having done further maths a couple of years ago and was unsuccessful.

As said above, their website shows that they really do prioritise students who have done further maths, mainly because their course is very theoretical. Although a third of students do get in without having done it, a significant amount of these will have been attending schools where further maths is not offered as an A-Level and so it is a slightly misleading statistic.

I chose to study the subjects I really wanted to do at A-Level rather than tailor them for a particular university and I don't regret my decision at all. It may be that if you're not so keen on doing further maths at A-Level then the theory-heavy engineering course at Cambridge isn't best suited to what you'll enjoy.

I appreciate that my advice is a little anecdotal, and who knows whether I'd have got in if I'd chosen to do further maths but hope that helps!

Tim
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (5)
3.76%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (23)
17.29%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (24)
18.05%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (18)
13.53%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (39)
29.32%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (24)
18.05%

Watched Threads