The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Race and intelligence

Wiki Ref

The data on this is fairly "intractable" another ref (Charles Murray).

There is argument around bias vs testing accuracy vs "Flynn effect". I suspect that there is a quantifiable gap between the measurable intelligence of various races and that the cause both cultural and genetic. I also believe that the social prerogative is to dismiss such facts. This is done not out of objective truth seeking, but out of a desire to promote harmony. What if some races do possess a genetic advantage to succeed socially over other races? How would society resolve the inevitable conflict that would arise from such an acknowledgement? It is far simpler to just deny that any such evidence exists, and label any attempt to discuss as racist.

Scroll to see replies

On average yes. But still 20% of blacks are smarter than the average white and there will be lots of white Europeans smarter than the average east Asian and Ashkenazi Jew.
Reply 2
Original post by Hirsty97
On average yes. But still 20% of blacks are smarter than the average white and there will be lots of white Europeans smarter than the average east Asian and Ashkenazi Jew.

I agree, but here is the problem: Certain groups cite economic disparity between races as proof that institutional discrimination exists. If specific races can be shown to possess different aptitudes (generally), then this may not be the case. The justification for affirmative action, equal opportunity hiring standards, and racially weighting test scores is based on the idea that social inequality is proof of racism. What is social inequality is a result of unequal ability amongst different races?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
@AndrewSCO, you might want to bring some popcorn here too :rolleyes:
Original post by ckingalt
I agree, but here is the problem: Certain groups cite economic disparity between certain races as proof that institutional discrimination exists. If certain races can be shown to possess different aptitudes (generally), then this may not be the case. The justification for affirmative action, equal opportunity hiring standards, and racially weighting test scores is based on the idea that social inequality is proof of racism. What is social inequality is a result of unequal ability amongst different races?

I agree and then we have the Dunning Kruger effect too, wherein less intelligent people have illusory beliefs in their own superiority meaning they are more inclined to blame others rather than having a self critical assessment of their own abilities
Original post by Michiyo
@AndrewSCO, you might want to bring some popcorn here too :rolleyes:

Oooooh getting in there early good call :biggrin:
Yeah because Donald Trump is clearly smarter than Obama.
Reply 7
Original post by AndrewSCO
Oooooh getting in there early good call :biggrin:

:hugs: We have enough entertainment to last us the whole night from this thread and the other one :cool:
Reply 8
Original post by Mystery.
Yeah because Donald Trump is clearly smarter than Obama.

Obama almost certainly has a higher IQ than trump. This has zero relevance to the debate I'm trying to initiate.
Biological distinctions between groups of humans, i.e. between white and black people are negligible. To suggest otherwise would be insanely stupid.
Reply 10
It's an easy way of suggesting that the hard ship of black people in the west is because theyre dumb. Reality is that the difference in IQ (which itself is a poor indicator of the value of human capital) is negligible.

Its also ignorant of the fact that blacks face massive hardship even today because of segregation laws and slavery in the past which still has its effect today.
Reply 11
Original post by Conceited
Biological distinctions between groups of humans, i.e. between white and black people are negligible. To suggest otherwise would be insanely stupid.

The references I cited imply that it is 1 standard deviation in statistical terms or 15 IQ points.
Wiki Ref

The data on this is fairly "intractable" another ref (Charles Murray).

There is argument around bias vs testing accuracy vs "Flynn effect". I suspect that there is a quantifiable gap between the measurable intelligence of various races and that the cause both cultural and genetic. I also believe that the social prerogative is to dismiss such facts. This is done not out of objective truth seeking, but out of a desire to promote harmony. What if some races do possess a genetic advantage to succeed socially over other races? How would society resolve the inevitable conflict that would arise from such an acknowledgement? It is far simpler to just deny that any such evidence exists, and label any attempt to discuss as racist.

Possibly but why do you think this might be?
Original post by andrewsco
oooooh getting in there early good call :d

Original post by michiyo
@andrewsco, you might want to bring some popcorn here too :rolleyes:

inb4 10th page!
Original post by Michiyo
:hugs: We have enough entertainment to last us the whole night from this thread and the other one :cool:

Better get some more popcorn I've emptied the local cinema's supplies
The references I cited imply that it is 1 standard deviation in statistical terms or 15 IQ points.

All I took into account was the thread title and the question within the original post asking if certain races have a genetic advantage over others to make a response.

My initial post still stands. The very idea that certain groups of people may have genetic or otherwise natural advantages over others isn't grounded in biological realities.

The debate you're trying to initiate is flawed because its premise is ******** and simply not true.
Reply 16
Hell yeah.

All I took into account was the thread title and the question within the original post asking if certain races have a genetic advantage over others to make a response.

My initial post still stands. The very idea that certain groups of people may have genetic or otherwise natural advantages over others isn't grounded in biological realities.

The debate you're trying to initiate is flawed because its premise is ******** and simply not true.

Do you mean theoretically or in reality?

White supremacists normally feel inferior, because they are unintelligent and unaccomplished. They need to start threads like this to reassure themselves that they are not inadequate.
Original post by WBZ144
White supremacists normally feel inferior, because they are unintelligent and unaccomplished. They need to start threads like this to reassure themselves that they are not inadequate.

I wouldn't go so far as to call the bloke a white supremacist. Just someone out of touch with reality. Although it is interesting (at least to me) how white supremacists justify their toxic views with bland pseudoscientific assertions.

Latest

Trending

Trending