Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How many countries celebrate independence from us?

ReputationRep:
    Good food, Music, Poetry etc...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    no idea

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Funky Chic)
    no idea
    Quite a few I would imagine. Even the USA even though many of my American friends celebrate it when it doesn't concern their state as such.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greyhound01)
    I REALLY hope that these asian celebrations aren't receiving any public money. Loony lefty ken already blows silly amounts on them in London whilst denying the vast majority a St Georges Day Parade.

All of a sudden Lord Tebbits "cricket test" theory doesn't sound so barmy, 2nd and 3rd generation Asians here don't celebrate St Georges Day at all yet they'll cheer for a country many have never been to!
    From: http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...31/ai_85916674

On St George's Day, I went on the Jimmy Young show. I travelled from Brixton to the studio in central London, scanning the landscape for exhibitions of flag-waving. There was just one person who displayed the flag on his back; otherwise the capital was clean.

Jimmy asked why, if the Irish can have their St Patrick's Day, we can't have our St George's Day? He could have added that many former colonial countries celebrate an independence day to mark their escape from the dominance of the land that once ruled the waves and whose citizens never ever shall be slaves, slavery being for all except the English.

And that is precisely the point. Englishness was associated with dominance; and that needs no celebration in post-imperial culture. St George's Day should be heading in the other direction, creating a mood of penitence, though also a quiet appreciation of the best that was imparted in the period of empire. There should be no chest-beating or foot-stamping. But St George's Day is irrevocably tainted with right-wing nationalism and it would need a miracle to get away from it. The trouble with these moments of national celebration is that they tend to express themselves as against someone else and never for anything positive -- they are the opposite of May Day, which celebrates an international culture of revolt.

It was on the eve of St George's Day in 1993 that, pumped up with national pride, the assailants of Stephen Lawrence drew the blood of the enemy, the immigrant from a former colonial country.

And there, perhaps, lies the answer. After Stephen Lawrence's murder, the traditions of revolt, which won our independence, were brought to the capital of England and forced changes in one of the country's major institutions, the police. The campaign was characterised by its international and multiracial mix. So can we now drop St George's Day and commemorate Stephen Lawrence Day instead? Not St Stephen, mark you; we are in the realm of the secular.

Further to last week's column, I wish to make it clear that Jane Griffiths MP did not express reservations about Blue Sky Arts's guns debate in Reading. On the contrary, Ms Griffiths accepted an invitation to attend. I apologise to her for my error.

(Original post by Nik P)
    From: http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...31/ai_85916674

On St George's Day, I went on the Jimmy Young show. I travelled from Brixton to the studio in central London, scanning the landscape for exhibitions of flag-waving. There was just one person who displayed the flag on his back; otherwise the capital was clean.

Jimmy asked why, if the Irish can have their St Patrick's Day, we can't have our St George's Day? He could have added that many former colonial countries celebrate an independence day to mark their escape from the dominance of the land that once ruled the waves and whose citizens never ever shall be slaves, slavery being for all except the English.

And that is precisely the point. Englishness was associated with dominance; and that needs no celebration in post-imperial culture. St George's Day should be heading in the other direction, creating a mood of penitence, though also a quiet appreciation of the best that was imparted in the period of empire. There should be no chest-beating or foot-stamping. But St George's Day is irrevocably tainted with right-wing nationalism and it would need a miracle to get away from it. The trouble with these moments of national celebration is that they tend to express themselves as against someone else and never for anything positive -- they are the opposite of May Day, which celebrates an international culture of revolt.

It was on the eve of St George's Day in 1993 that, pumped up with national pride, the assailants of Stephen Lawrence drew the blood of the enemy, the immigrant from a former colonial country.

And there, perhaps, lies the answer. After Stephen Lawrence's murder, the traditions of revolt, which won our independence, were brought to the capital of England and forced changes in one of the country's major institutions, the police. The campaign was characterised by its international and multiracial mix. So can we now drop St George's Day and commemorate Stephen Lawrence Day instead? Not St Stephen, mark you; we are in the realm of the secular.

Further to last week's column, I wish to make it clear that Jane Griffiths MP did not express reservations about Blue Sky Arts's guns debate in Reading. On the contrary, Ms Griffiths accepted an invitation to attend. I apologise to her for my error.
    Darcus Howe is a ****ing retard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Biggles)
    Darcus Howe is a ****ing retard.
    So is your mum... didn't stop her from having a little retard... Benchod!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nik P)
    Benchod!
    ermmmm ... hehe ... thnk god many ppl here dont understand urdu / punjabi

(Original post by infekt)
    ermmmm ... hehe ... thnk god many ppl here dont understand urdu / punjabi
    lol oh so Nik P is a ****ing paki lol :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    no hes indian i think ... if u want a pakistani thts me madarchod ! ... y dont u jus take suggestions from the other ppl and crawl down in the sewer and die

ReputationRep:
    Indian and proud... hope to run into you in London someday, i wonder how you compare in real life, i bet you reall ARE a machod, wouldn't surprise me it seems to be rife within people of your kind...

(Original post by Nik P)
    Indian and proud... hope to run into you in London someday, i wonder how you compare in real life, i bet you reall ARE a machod, wouldn't surprise me it seems to be rife within people of your kind...
    lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nik P)
    You wont run into him ever , he never leaves his dark cave where he comes up with all his wacky ass ideas . Ive always imagined him wearing those geeky glasses

ReputationRep:
    Funky chic... where did u get the flag from?... the one as your avatar...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nik P)
    Funky chic... where did u get the flag from?... the one as your avatar...
    http://www.3dflags.com/html/gif/2/i/...dia_2faws.html
    there u go

ReputationRep:
    Pakistan
    India
    UAE
    Hong Kong ( although its still part of china )
    Bahrain
    Bahamas
    Canada
    Fiji

thts about all i can remember rite now

ReputationRep:
    The USA
    Kenya and some other African countries i think...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nik P)
    The USA
    Kenya and some other African countries i think...
    yeah , but most of africa was under french rule , ghana , senegal etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infekt)
    Pakistan
    India
    UAE
    Hong Kong ( although its still part of china )
    Bahrain
    Bahamas
    Canada
    Fiji

thts about all i can remember rite now
    How can Canada celebrate independence from the United Kingdom is the Queen is still head of state? Unless I've missed something big. Hong Kong only celebrates the hand over to China because of the Beijing Government. Most of them from what I've heard never wanted to return to Chinese rule. Didn't think Britain ruled the UAE.

ReputationRep:
    How can Canada celebrate independence from the United Kingdom is the Queen is still head of state? Unless I've missed something big. Hong Kong only celebrates the hand over to China because of the Beijing Government. Most of them from what I've heard never wanted to return to Chinese rule. Didn't think Britain ruled the UAE.
    THey controlles some emirates whih used to exist as independent states ... when the british left the 7 states got together to form UAE . So in a way ur right that britain never ruled UAE coz it was non-existant when they did .

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.