Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why is St George so great? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Well? Like all patron saints I find their popularity rather dubious. Don't get me wrong I'm 100% English but I'd rather have someone say Queen Bouddica (sp) as an icon than someone who slayed a cow so they say.

Any thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    And was actually Turkish (wasn't he?)

ReputationRep:
    Boadicea. And yes, I agree, a valient attempt to drive out the bloody romans!

ReputationRep:
    He isn't great... what does he stand for apart from oppresion and aggresion?... nothing to celebrate to be honest... BTW he was from palestine i think...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Everdawn)
    Boadecia. And yes, I agree, a valient attempt to drive out the bloody romans!
    Indeed although she made one fatal mistake in her third battle no one is perfect and is more of an icon to myself than St George will ever be. Not that I have anything against him.

I've always wondered what the British Isles will be like without constant invasions, successful or otherwise.

It might educate people on English history more, especially those who think Gandalf led the way for the crushing defeat of the Spanish amarda (sp) lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goldenbarnes)
    And was actually Turkish (wasn't he?)
    So I've heard. Then again not all patron saints of nations within the British Isles have their nationalities belonging to the nation they represent.

ReputationRep:
    what did st george do? and how could i qualify as a saint?

(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Well? Like all patron saints I find their popularity rather dubious. Don't get me wrong I'm 100% English but I'd rather have someone say Queen Bouddica (sp) as an icon than someone who slayed a cow so they say.

Any thoughts?
    Queen Bouddica wasn't English (no English people lived in Britain before 400 AD).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Biggles)
    Queen Bouddica wasn't English (no English people lived in Britain before 400 AD).
    Okay then the Celts who were citizens of what is known as England today?

Okay then the Celts who were citizens of what is known as England today?
    Celts. And before them a dark people who were very small in height.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Biggles)
    Boadicea was queen of the Iceni tribe.

ReputationRep:
    It might educate people on English history more, especially those who think Gandalf led the way for the crushing defeat of the Spanish amarda (sp) lol
    Are you daft? Of course it was Gandalf! Just the same way that Santa lead the allied defeat of Hitler in ww2!

ReputationRep:
    Boadicea was queen of the Iceni tribe.
    That's the incorrect spelling and pronounciation of her name so I heard

But I would think certain members of this forum will appreciate her because she tried kicking out foreigners

ReputationRep:
    That's the incorrect spelling and pronounciation of her name so I heard
    Well thats how the Professor pronounces it and how its spelt in all my text books, is all.

ReputationRep:
    Well thats how the Professor pronounces it and how its spelt in all my text books, is all.
    The Professor is wrong

ReputationRep:
    The Professor is wrong
    whatever, I think being an Ancient History Professor he wouldnt be wrong about a thing like that.

However, if in your expert opinion it is wrong, I retract my statement gracefully.

ReputationRep:
    whatever, I think being an Ancient History Professor he wouldnt be wrong about a thing like that.

However, if in your expert opinion it is wrong, I retract my statement gracefully.
    Well apparently this is what the current research shows. Amazing what research does If I find out who or what made anyone think is was the other name I'll find out.

ReputationRep:
    ST George was a pretty handy saint: none of your nonsense about martyrs etc. His original job was as a parasite, and he got a job selling bacon to the Roman army. "His employment was mean, he rendered it infamous. He accumulated wealth by the basest arts of fraud and corruption." said Gibbon. ~he joined the (heretical) Arian church and became a bishop at the same time for political reasons. In the end his parishioners lynched him. Now compared with boring goody-goodies...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Weejimmie)
    Now compared with boring goody-goodies...
    Go on.....

ReputationRep:
    Go on.....
    People whose sole achievement was to get themselves offed for being boring and petty-minded, St George is just the sort of SainT a nation of shop-keepers needs.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.