English A Level Watch

OctoberGirl
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
English Lit coursework needs me to read a book and pick a method to write about it and I'm reading A Thousand Splendid Suns and am going to write about a feminist approach but does anyone know any feminist ideas about he book?
walkonby
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by OctoberGirl)
English Lit coursework needs me to read a book and pick a method to write about it and I'm reading A Thousand Splendid Suns and am going to write about a feminist approach but does anyone know any feminist ideas about he book?
Is this the AQA coursework? did my prose recently and chose Catcher in the Rye and marxism.

feminist theory demands you to ask questions about the female characters of the story. I haven't read a thousand splendid suns but maybe ask yourself the following

how are the female characters treated by other people in the story?
how does their society view/treat women?
how are the female characters portrayed (in a positive or negative light?)

since it's a khaled hosseini book I'm gonna assume its set in afghanistan where the religion of islam as well as cultural standards will affect the way women are treated in that kind of society. therefore you may also want to ask yourself how the treatment of women in the book may differ from that in western culture, or where there are similarities. ask yourself what Hosseini is trying to say about the treatment of women.
OctoberGirl
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by walkonby)
Is this the AQA coursework? did my prose recently and chose Catcher in the Rye and marxism.

feminist theory demands you to ask questions about the female characters of the story. I haven't read a thousand splendid suns but maybe ask yourself the following

how are the female characters treated by other people in the story?
how does their society view/treat women?
how are the female characters portrayed (in a positive or negative light?)

since it's a khaled hosseini book I'm gonna assume its set in afghanistan where the religion of islam as well as cultural standards will affect the way women are treated in that kind of society. therefore you may also want to ask yourself how the treatment of women in the book may differ from that in western culture, or where there are similarities. ask yourself what Hosseini is trying to say about the treatment of women.
Thank you for your help, I think I will do some research on way women are treated in Islam and yes it is for the coursework. Thank you for the help.
walkonby
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by OctoberGirl)
Thank you for your help, I think I will do some research on way women are treated in Islam and yes it is for the coursework. Thank you for the help.
No problem, also for the coursework you will get higher marks if you cross-reference with other texts; Khaled Hosseini also wrote the kite runner which may be a good thing to compare to especially when writing about why Hosseini has portrayed the women in the way he has in a thousand splendid suns
- obvs you don't have to read the kite runner but this link may give you an overview of its themes about women https://prezi.com/qj-hcw8djc56/kite-...minist-theory/

good luck with your coursework!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (97)
13.43%
The paper was reasonable (402)
55.68%
Not feeling great about that exam... (168)
23.27%
It was TERRIBLE (55)
7.62%

Watched Threads