The Student Room Group

Why do universities do this

So I have noticed a number of universities have Open days during the exam period.

Why?

I mean my focus is going to be on the exams and panicking about the exams so I doubt I can make any of these.

Their is only one university I can see myself visiting in this period. And that is only because I will happen to be in that exact location during exam season.

How long do open days take anyway? its been a long time since I went to a university open day so I have completely forgotten. I mean are we talking about a few hours out of my day or an entire day gone?

Losing an entire day during peak exam time is a big concern losing a few hours is just something to take a break from exam stress and give me some motivation.

However yeah why do universities have open days in the middle of exam season? seems a bit silly to me.
Original post by Luke7456
So I have noticed a number of universities have Open days during the exam period.

Why?

I mean my focus is going to be on the exams and panicking about the exams so I doubt I can make any of these.

Their is only one university I can see myself visiting in this period. And that is only because I will happen to be in that exact location during exam season.

How long do open days take anyway? its been a long time since I went to a university open day so I have completely forgotten. I mean are we talking about a few hours out of my day or an entire day gone?

Losing an entire day during peak exam time is a big concern losing a few hours is just something to take a break from exam stress and give me some motivation.

However yeah why do universities have open days in the middle of exam season? seems a bit silly to me.

Could take up most of your day inc travel, but just a few hours for the activities themselves.

It is indeed strange, I don't think all unis did this though.. you have my sympathy, maybe you can check different dates for availability?
Marketing staff at most universities aren't very good at researching applicant commitments. They're more worried about not clashing with the university up the road than whether applicants might have exams.
Reply 3

Why?

Most universities have more than one open day. If all you want to do is see some accomodation and speak to the department you can do it in a couple of hours - excluding travel time of course.
Reply 4

Why?

You could always book a campus tour if you can't show up to an open day (you'll have to contact the uni).
I volunteer at most of the open days that my uni does, so I know they do about 5 a year.

when I was going to open days a couple years ago, I noticed they did them throughout the year and for some you can request a private tour if you can't make the open day dates and are interested
Reply 6
Well one university is in the exact same city I am sitting all my exams in and since I will be renting a room their for this period and not likely traveling home for the weekend its on I will be in the location. however I don't know the postcode of my property yet or how far it is to the university or travel routes connecting etc. I will be without a car so will be relying on Taxis or public transport currently I am thinking If I can travel their within a reasonable time period it should be doable as a stress release from exams etc. They have two open days following each other but, I have two exams for the first day. I have rest breaks (I can pause the exams) so have to allow for 2 hours for both exams. which means if the exams start at 9am I wont be finished until 1pm. Assuming I can travel their within 30 minutes (I doubt it) from the exam hall it would mean I would be their for 1.30pm which basically means the open day is almost over.

I would prefer to go on the day of the exam after the exams as after exams is when I am most stressed and likely to be least productive. However this is on the day of 2 of my planned 100%ers which are basically modules i find relatively easy and hope to get very high marks in for security and padding. M2 can contribute towards the A* in further maths and D1 could help give me the padding so I can be sure of securing the A for maths. out of M1 S1 and D1 I should be able to secure padding a good performance on C1 and C2 can basically mean even if I flunk C3 and C4 I come out with an A grade. However I am trying to push for 90s in those.

So all been well I should be in relatively high spirits as at this point I should hopefully have banked the A grades already and now be facing the hard exams pushing for the A*

C3 not to hard with work can probably get the A* but worried about mistakes
C4 need to do quite a bit more work may struggle but lots of time
FP2 **** me I am in trouble hopefully enough time though to change this

everything else not worried about.

so I think the open day would be a nice break but I really need to check about the first day if its even worth going for the afternoon.

I also need to check traveling time and transport.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending