Opinions on IMU (International Medical University Malaysia)...? Watch

chzzzz
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Lots of people say that IMU isn't a good university and that the degree is not well regarded. As an international student would it be worth it studying medicine in IMU?
Any opinions or ideas would be appreciated
FATMANNOLONGER
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by chzzzz)
Lots of people say that IMU isn't a good university and that the degree is not well regarded. As an international study would it be worth it studying medicine in IMU?
Any opinions or ideas would be appreciated
I don't think so and for the fees they charge personally you may be better off studying somewhere like Italy 🇮🇹

I know Malaysia has a low cost of living, I've been to Kuala Lumpur several times (I like the spicy chicken pieces at KFC ) but the IMU fees don't seem worth it to me
Plato1
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
IMU is more of my back up option because of its really low ranking and unnecessarily high fees :/ But since I live really close to Malaysia and my parents would love it if i were anywhere near them (-.-'), its probably no. 1 on their list... The only good thing is that i can do the last 3 years in either UK or Australia and the fees for me would be cheaper when compared to studying in the UK from year 1! Its easy to get a spot in IMU though so wouldn't worry about that
chzzzz
Rep:
?
(Original post by FATMANNOLONGER)
I don't think so and for the fees they charge personally you may be better off studying somewhere like Italy 🇮🇹

I know Malaysia has a low cost of living, I've been to Kuala Lumpur several times (I like the spicy chicken pieces at KFC ) but the IMU fees don't seem worth it to me
The cost isn't really the issue cause studying medicine for me anywhere would be around the same price so I'm only considering the level of education they offer and the degree i'll get out of it.

Are you studying/applying for medicine? If so, where?
chzzzz
Rep:
?
(Original post by Plato1)
IMU is more of my back up option because of its really low ranking and unnecessarily high fees :/ But since I live really close to Malaysia and my parents would love it if i were anywhere near them (-.-', its probably no. 1 on their list... The only good thing is that i can do the last 3 years in either UK or Australia and the fees for me would be cheaper when compared to studying in the UK from year 1! Its easy to get a spot in IMU though so wouldn't worry about that
Ya, I got an offer already.
What is your first option?
Btw where do you live? if you don't mind telling?
redruby28
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by chzzzz)
Ya, I got an offer already.
What is your first option?
Btw where do you live? if you don't mind telling?
hi~ i'm a malaysian but studying in the uk...tbh do no go for any unis in malaysia...they r not well recognised. are you a brit if you dont mind me asking

(Original post by FATMANNOLONGER)

yeap the chickens r gooood but quite oily ...have you tried Texas chicken? oh yeah and when you visit malaysia again, go to McDonald's and try their 2pc chicken...they have regular or spicy..try both its really nice!! (its spicier than KFC's)
chzzzz
Rep:
?
(Original post by redruby28)
hi~ i'm a malaysian but studying in the uk...tbh do no go for any unis in malaysia...they r not well recognised. are you a brit if you dont mind me asking
No, I'm Indian but I've been living in Brunei. I applied to UK but I didn't meet their conditional offer so I didn't get in.

But I heard form an IMU student that you get the degree from the partner university anyway so its ok. Do you know anything about this?
I really don't have any other options at this point, even if it is bad I have to go to IMU :-/

Btw are you in uni or school? If you are in uni, what are you studying?
ryantanweisheng
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi, is there any IMU-PMS students here that is able to give their view on their education in IMU?

I got A*AA and am thinking of applying to IMU and vye for their PMS as it's cheaper as opposed to going straight to the UK for a medical education.

Would really appreciate if an alumni/current student reply me.

Thank you!
Jckc123
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ryantanweisheng)
Hi, is there any IMU-PMS students here that is able to give their view on their education in IMU?

I got A*AA and am thinking of applying to IMU and vye for their PMS as it's cheaper as opposed to going straight to the UK for a medical education.

Thank you!
Just so happened to find this thread lol.
Anyways, Im a malaysian but not in the imu-pms but direct entry route.
However, based on what ive heard, the level of expectation is relatively quite high since they expect you to know more than a typical HO. Lecturers-wise, i heard the good ones have already left so its slowly deteriorating.

in terms of price wise... imu fees now is generally higher than uk unis (except london unis) even after the exchange rate.. you could factor in living cost but i generally feel its more worth it in the uk.

care to pm me if you have any other questions
chzzzz
Rep:
?

Thank you!
A*AA is more than enough. I got in with an AABB. Just make sure you nail the interview
Wing:)
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hello. I am currently studying at IMU. I would say the education isn't too bad here. It is a good uni for transferring. For me, I will be going overseas for my clinical years and get the degree from whichever uni I am going to, not the IMU degree.
The entry requirement for my cohort was ABB and I would say this is a lot easier than the uk unis. It is a good choice as backup and an easy route to get into the world class uni in the UK, Australia, Canada or Ireland (you cannot transfer to the country which you are considered as a local student). The conditions for transferring is passing the 5 semesters at IMU and getting 7 in all components for IELTS.
The interview here was pretty easy as well. Basically you can prepare for it.
Feel free to ask me more questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Thank you!
A*AA is more than enough. I am sure you will get in as long as you can talk during the interviews.
I am a current student at IMU(PMS program)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jckc123
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Wing:))
Hello. I am currently studying at IMU. I would say the education isn't too bad here. It is a good uni for transferring. For me, I will be going overseas for my clinical years and get the degree from whichever uni I am going to, not the IMU degree.
The entry requirement for my cohort was ABB and I would say this is a lot easier than the uk unis. It is a good choice as backup and an easy route to get into the world class uni in the UK, Australia, Canada or Ireland (you cannot transfer to the country which you are considered as a local student). The conditions for transferring is passing the 5 semesters at IMU and getting 7 in all components for IELTS.
The interview here was pretty easy as well. Basically you can prepare for it.
Feel free to ask me more questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey, how have you been?
Been awhile since I heard you were going to imu last time.
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Jckc123)
Hey, how have you been?
Been awhile since I heard you were going to imu last time.
Good memory haha I am in Sem 3 now
What about u?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jckc123
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Good memory haha I am in Sem 3 now
What about u?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah ok, so you'll be applying for your partner universities soon? Any thoughts?

Fourth year atm, one more year to go
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Ah ok, so you'll be applying for your partner universities soon? Any thoughts?

Fourth year atm, one more year to go
Gonna apply as long as I proceed to Sem 4. Really hope I won't fail 😂
I can't go to Australia or I hope I can go England, I want Leeds, Liverpool or Exeter. I don't really want Scotland and Ireland.
Are u studying at Leicester?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jckc123
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Gonna apply as long as I proceed to Sem 4. Really hope I won't fail 😂
I can't go to Australia or I hope I can go England, I want Leeds, Liverpool or Exeter. I don't really want Scotland and Ireland.
Are u studying at Leicester?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yup
ah, i see thats good.
haha why not scotland or northern ireland?
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yup
ah, i see thats good.
haha why not scotland or northern ireland?
I personally don't like Scotland 😂 I am ok with QUB because it's still in the UK but not Galway 😬
But well, my grades aren't good so I will be happy with any.

Posted from TSR Mobile
rnokuki
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No offence, but it is really frustrating to see these twinning students take the easy way into world class unis in the uk and get a degree there. Its insanely competitive to secure a spot at medical school in the uk and these twinning students just come breezing in in the third year, with no idea how hard it is to actually get a place there. Look, im not picking a fight, but i do think its very unfair that there is an easy way in and im expressing my thoughts.
Jckc123
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by rnokuki)
No offence, but it is really frustrating to see these twinning students take the easy way into world class unis in the uk and get a degree there. Its insanely competitive to secure a spot at medical school in the uk and these twinning students just come breezing in in the third year, with no idea how hard it is to actually get a place there. Look, im not picking a fight, but i do think its very unfair that there is an easy way in and im expressing my thoughts.
I understand your frustration but thats how the world works I guess.

Medicine shouldnt be revolving around how much you can afford it but rather how good you are at it. well, more schools are dropping out, even mine did a couple years back so the programme could end in the near future.

But money makes the world go round.
(I'm not a twinning student btw haha)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (340)
15.75%
The paper was reasonable (1172)
54.28%
Not feeling great about that exam... (467)
21.63%
It was TERRIBLE (180)
8.34%

Watched Threads