Opinions on IMU (International Medical University Malaysia)...?

Watch
Jckc123
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Murshmallow)
Thankyou, do you know roughly around how many partner universities have withdrawed from IMU in the last 5 years or so and that if there is any chance they might shut down the program itself?
I cant really estimate the number but there has been a few. (this is based on UK unis only)
I was looking at the list and it definitely seems fewer than when i applied 5 years ago.

I would highly recommend applying directly to uk universities since its definitely much cheaper going to uk uni directly than twinning. (if you are thinking of uk unis)
Murshmallow
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Jckc123)
I cant really estimate the number but there has been a few. (this is based on UK unis only)
I was looking at the list and it definitely seems fewer than when i applied 5 years ago.

I would highly recommend applying directly to uk universities since its definitely much cheaper going to uk uni directly than twinning. (if you are thinking of uk unis)
oh ok, THANKYOU
funkypineapple
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey guys! I'm in a slight dilemma on applying to IMU. I'm British born btw

So i'm guessing i can't apply to any UK and Ireland Universities after the medical science degree. In that case, i think i'm might apply to Canada in the PMS process.

Is there any other additional requirements in applying for Canada i.e. A level grades because honestly, i'm only applying there if i don't get the required grades expected in the UK universities. Also, i'm planning to move back to the UK after the degree so is this a wise choice as the competition is very high?

Finally, how's the diversity amongst students? It's a mixture of ethnicities or just Malaysians?
Alalalala2001
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Got an offfeerrrr!
Sexy-dumplings
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, actually, is it hard for internationals who transfer to the UK schools from IMU to get training position? Considering that we will be subjected to the RLMT and we would be ranked below the locals?
Jckc123
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
if you graduate from a uk med school even if you transferred from imu, you will be exempted from rlmt from the first year after foundation peogramme.
TP99
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Wing:))
I am studying medicine at IMU now. Feel free to ask me anything can I ask where are you from?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, I am a Singaporean and i will be joining Aug 2018. Just curious but what is the cohort like in terms of diversity? Are there a few Singaporeans? Thanks
TP99
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, anyone from Singapore joining the IMU-PMS medicine program in Aug 2018? Wanted to make some friends before starting the course
Capt1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi TP99. I am also a Singaporean joining the IMU-PMS medicine program in Aug 2018
lolimtrying
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi TP99 and Capt, joining imu to see yall thr!
Wing:)
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Murshmallow)
Sooo sorry for bothering you but, Ive been hearing quite a lot of things about IMU and I wanted to get proper information from someone who is already there as a student.\
I just wanted to confirm how the quality of education in IMU is?

And whether the teaching faculty is good or not?

And that if you can decide to go for the PMS programme during your 2nd year or whether you have to decide from before applying to the university?

And that is you apply for the PMS programme are you guaranteed to get a spot in the university you want to move to?

And if you do decide to complete your education in Malaysia itslef, can international students do their housemanship in Malaysia?

Thanks in advance <3
I hope it's not too late to reply 😂
The quality of education in IMU is actually not bad. Some of the lecturers are not good in teaching but they put all info on the PowerPoint. So just study from the lecture notes and you will be able to pass.
I applied for the PMS route before starting and I got to choose the PMS in semester 4. For those who switch to PMS from local during their second year got to choose the PMS in their semester 5 and they could only choose the PMS with seats available after first round.
You can definitely get a spot in a PMS but maybe it's not the one you want as seats as limited.
Kroznox
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, may I ask what IGCSE's are required to be considered as a competitive candidate for entry into IMU? My dad wants me to apply for the foundation, but I'm not sure if that would allow me to do twinning in the future. Also, is it worth going to Foundation with 7A*'s predicted, because the entry requirements are 5B's... Thanks in advance for the answers!
tahsin123n
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey man! I want to join IMU, however i have some questions to ask.
chzzzz
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by tahsin123n)
Hey man! I want to join IMU, however i have some questions to ask.
Yes?
spiderman17
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi I am a student thinking to apply for IMU. I have got two questions.

I would like to know once students are able to transfer to the med school of the uk, will the uk medical schools provide foundation years programme for them?

If students graduate from the uk uni, are the certificates mentioning graduation from the uk uni or IMU?

Thank you for anyone who deals with my confusion.
Tugpcygmail
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, can u please give m esoteric tips for the interview. Does it matter if you don t do Biology in year 12 ?
Adi2002
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by chzzzz)
No, I'm Indian but I've been living in Brunei. I applied to UK but I didn't meet their conditional offer so I didn't get in.

But I heard form an IMU student that you get the degree from the partner university anyway so its ok. Do you know anything about this?
I really don't have any other options at this point, even if it is bad I have to go to IMU :-/

Btw are you in uni or school? If you are in uni, what are you studying?
HI,
Have you joined IMU KL.
How is your experience there personally with respect to quality of education.
Also, have you talked with Seniors there regarding PMS university, is all students who all are applying to PMS , getting match to University in UK or Australia or some students are not getting any match university.
what's the process.
I am interested to know more details with respect to PMS transfer to UK university.
Adi2002
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Wing:))
I hope it's not too late to reply 😂
The quality of education in IMU is actually not bad. Some of the lecturers are not good in teaching but they put all info on the PowerPoint. So just study from the lecture notes and you will be able to pass.
I applied for the PMS route before starting and I got to choose the PMS in semester 4. For those who switch to PMS from local during their second year got to choose the PMS in their semester 5 and they could only choose the PMS with seats available after first round.
You can definitely get a spot in a PMS but maybe it's not the one you want as seats as limited.
HI Wing,
I am an Indian national and tried to UK medicine universities however chances are less due to low UKCAT, hence looking this IMU PMS route to UK medicine universities.
As you are already studying in IMU , could you please inform / share your experience for :-

1. How is the Medicine education there in IMU.

2. How big is the IMU University and how are the lecturers.

3. Whether all Students who all are applying to PMS are getting match to UK medicine some university or some of the students are not getting.

4. How the matching process in 4th semester on the basis of what criteria.

5. I believe you already matched to a UK university and so congrats for same.

6. If possible , please share your whatsapp numbers to talk and discuss details.

Thank you
Renhui
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, i wish to join IMU dentistry partnership program where after 2.5 years I can go to Australia Uni. However, I cannot speak or write the local Bahasa Malay language. Will I still be able to graduate from phase 1 as I understand there will be training and lessons at local Hospitals in first 2.5 years. I greatly appreciate if someone can help me on the answer. Thanks!
Renhui
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I hope to join the imu dentistry partnership program with first 2.5 years in imu and then transfer to Australia Uni. But I can’t speak or write the local Bahasa Malay language. Will I still be able to make it past the first phase of 2.5 years? I understand in first phase need to undergo training in local Malaysia Hospitals. Appreciate advice from past students!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (276)
15.51%
Uncertainty around my education (279)
15.67%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (177)
9.94%
Isolating with family (126)
7.08%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (79)
4.44%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (149)
8.37%
Loneliness (175)
9.83%
Financial worries (72)
4.04%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (163)
9.16%
Exposure to negative news/social media (126)
7.08%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (158)
8.88%

Watched Threads