The Student Room Group

Need help with this maths problem

76% of households claim some form of welfare benefit.

74% of households say that welfare benefits would be reduced.

How many households have essentially said that they themselves should get less money?

What I mean by this is that if 76% claim something and 74% say the payments should be reduced then we have a crossover of people who are saying that they themselves should have their money reduced.

Can anybody shed some light on what the number of people who think they should receive less money should be?
Original post by mageoftakhisis
76% of households claim some form of welfare benefit.

74% of households say that welfare benefits would be reduced.

How many households have essentially said that they themselves should get less money?

What I mean by this is that if 76% claim something and 74% say the payments should be reduced then we have a crossover of people who are saying that they themselves should have their money reduced.

Can anybody shed some light on what the number of people who think they should receive less money should be?

It's impossible so say without some extra information. For example, imagine you have 100 people, 76 say welfare benefit should be cut and of those, all 74 actually claim benefit. So the crossover is 100%. Now say 76 for cutting, and of those 50 also claim benefit, with the other 24, that are not included in the 76, calming benefit. For both situations you can make exactly the same statements above, but you have different crossovers.
Hmm i thought it might be impossible to determine as there would be a possible spread. thanks anyway - appreciate it

Quick Reply

Latest