What's the best way to prepare for the MAT and STEP?

Watch
MurphyLikesMaths
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm in Year 12 and doing well in maths (95+ on all mocks), but I find MAT questions quite hard. What's the best way to improve my skills on these questions? I can usually do quite well on 1-3 but I fear the worst for timed conditions. I really want to do well in the MAT at least as I want to go to Oxford for maths. I have done C1, C2, S1, M1, D1, and FP1 as part of the A-Level syllabus.

Thanks
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by MurphyLikesMaths)
I'm in Year 12 and doing well in maths (95+ on all mocks), but I find MAT questions quite hard. What's the best way to improve my skills on these questions? I can usually do quite well on 1-3 but I fear the worst for timed conditions. I really want to do well in the MAT at least as I want to go to Oxford for maths. I have done C1, C2, S1, M1, D1, and FP1 as part of the A-Level syllabus.

Thanks
Check this thread
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...rimary_content
MAT Prep Thread

(there will be a 2017 version in due course.)

You don't need to worry about STEP. It's not relevant for Oxford.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ComputerMaths97
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
STEP is much harder than MAT in my opinion so I wouldn't worry too much about STEP unless you want to apply to Cambridge

For MAT, just make sure you A level knowledge is perfect then just keep doing questions. A huge tip is writing down a note for every time you've ever got stuck and consulted solutions/ help.

For example say you're stuck on a differential equation question, and eventually give up and go get the solution, really study the solution and understand why. Maybe even redo the question with your notes hidden. Or at least make sure you could explain all steps and why to somebody else

A big mistake people make is: "I'm stuck, better check the solution... 3 mins later, oh okay, next question". You gotta study it properly
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (657)
33.55%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (831)
42.44%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (381)
19.46%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (89)
4.55%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed